Thread: Early logging photos. The taming of Washington State's old growth forests

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    thank you for sharing.....
    Jerry

The biggest redwoods are too big to log. They tried it and the wood shatters when the tree crashes down. They have tried putting branches in the landing area etc. Just no good way to get it too work,. thus most of the inland Sequoia Gigantia trees have never been logged.
    I have heard folks are growing them around the world and they can be harvested before they get too big like under 200Feet. In general redwood is lightweight and splits/shatters if overloaded.
    I have never heard of any use for "Dawn Redwood" from China.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-13-2018 at 8:11 PM.

I live in NW Washington where a lot of the pictures were taken. Whether you are for or against logging the photographer, Darius Kinsey, did an incredible job documenting this period of history. There are a couple of books available with his pictures. Well worth checking out. The collection of his original glass plates is in Bellingham WA at the Whatcom County Museum. I have had several prints made through them and they hang proudly in my house. I have several cedar stumps on my property measuring 8-10' in diameter. Do wish they had left a couple. If you do have an appreciation of the big trees, the redwood groves in Northern California are a sight to behold.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/sherman.htm
    I think almost all the drive through trees in California are gone now. We had a huge drought that stressed the trees and high winds took them down. Last year was record high rainfall this year is the worst yet.
    Bill D

for a treasure trove of photos see https://content.lib.washington.edu/c...web/index.html
    heck out the logs used in Apex Timber Company Shay Engine Number 5 on log jam trestle, ca. 1925t the logs in this trestle look to be 10 feet in diameter.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.