Thread: How to Fix Jagged Sawtooth Edge on Wood?

How to Fix Jagged Sawtooth Edge on Wood?

I'm brand new to laser engraving, so far I love it but I've been butting my head against this issue for days so I think it's time to get some expert advice...

The book suggests 30/80/500 which I think is probably a good pace and gives it a nice, even (non-charred) color but it's terribly jagged. I've experimented with various settings, even going very high with the frequency but I just can't seem to get smooth cuts. 15/80/2803 was smoother (but still not optimal) and started to get burnt.

I'm using 1/8" finished birch plywood. My final pieces will be 1/8" alder but the birch is cheaper to experiment with until I get a better handle on the settings.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks so much!

IMG_20151129_163644.jpgIMG_20151129_163757.jpgIMG_20151129_163914.jpgIMG_20151129_163920.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24 • 50 Watt Windows 10 • Adobe Illustrator CC

Hi Kitarra, you can't cut at high speeds, only engrave. You need to be in the 10% range in cutting. I don't remember the speeds that the Epilog's start getting shaky, but I know 30 speed is too much for vector cutting. Try 10% or less and adjust your power down some to compensate for slowing the speed down.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I agree with Scott, I don't know Epilog either but slower speed MOREpower might help, I cut at 12mmps speed 65% Pwr. 1/8 birch
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-30-2015 at 1:14 AM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Wow thanks so much for the fast replies!

I think I was getting tunnel vision on the frequency for some reason. Adjusting the speed made a HUGE improvement even at 500 frequency. I loved the smoothness of 5 speed but even at 10% power it was burning but not cutting all the way through.

10/40/500 was a little rough but still a vast improvement - it was definitely charring but 35 power just wasn't fully penetrating.

Hopefully someday I'll find the magic setting triangle. I have to admit overall I'm not impressed with the company I chose, but the machine was a better fit for my needs hands down. The manual goes into GREAT depth about installing the print driver (which seems redundant considering how universally simple the process is...) but it vaguely mentions the settings. Personally I would have benefited more from hearing the company's perspective on how the settings are interpreted and will interact with each other, but maybe that's just me.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_20151129_185918.jpgIMG_20151129_185931.jpgIMG_20151129_190010.jpg
    Epilog Mini 24 • 50 Watt Windows 10 • Adobe Illustrator CC

just reread my post I meant to say more power at slower speeds and yes each machine is different so you have to tweak for yours, but you'll find it you sound persistent let us know how it goes.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

1/8 inch baltic birch should cut well on a 50 W at 20 speed or higher, assuming 100% power and 500 Hz. No idea why you say 30 speed is too much for vector cutting unless you specifically mean cutting something like plywood; I have cut some softer/more easily cut substrates at 60 speed with no problems (although I did notice some ringing on a small bit of vector engraving I recently did on baltic birch when I tried to run it at 70% speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    1/8 inch baltic birch should cut well on a 50 W at 20 speed or higher, assuming 100% power and 500 Hz. No idea why you say 30 speed is too much for vector cutting unless you specifically mean cutting something like plywood; I have cut some softer/more easily cut substrates at 60 speed with no problems (although I did notice some ringing on a small bit of vector engraving I recently did on baltic birch when I tried to run it at 70% speed).
    That's interesting Glenn. I did say I wasn't sure what the numbers were on an Epilog, but on Universal's and Trotec's, the top speeds are there for sure. On the Universal, it's probably 10% or so, and on the Trotec, it's about 3% speed. Those aren't exact, but above those speeds and quality drops. No way you could ever vector smooth curves at 20% on a Trotec or 30% on a Universal.

A quick look at Epilog's site shows them using vector speeds of 30% on the Fusion, so I stand corrected, thanks for clearing that up.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I think that the confusion arises because the Epilog driver has separate speed ranges for rastering and vectoring.

100% vector speed seems to be a bit less than half the speed of rastering at 100%.
    Epilog Legend 32EX 60W

Precision Prototypes, Romsey, UK

That's how it is/was on my GCC, 80 ips raster and 40 ips vector. Not sure about the Trotec, haven't really looked into the specs that closely - too busy working to care...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post
    I think that the confusion arises because the Epilog driver has separate speed ranges for rastering and vectoring.

100% vector speed seems to be a bit less than half the speed of rastering at 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hunter View Post

Probably much less than 50%- my NH rep tells me Gravo's highest vector speed is no more than 27% of highest raster speed...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Kitarra,

Have you ever done a cut test on your machine? You can find some good examples of it earlier in the forum with a search. Basically it is a test pattern in which you cut one power and speed for a bit, then another power and speed for a bit, bracketing through all the choices on your machine. You might do a test pattern on each of the common materials you work with so you see what settings work best on each. It chews up some materials, but it ultimately saves you materials and time because you can find the right combination for your machine for a given material. Do the same thing for engraving as well.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

I have the same laser as you.

Run your vector cut at 10 speed, 100 power, 500 frequency. It will cut perfectly in 1 pass (maybe two if the wood has some variances).
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)