Thread: sanding paduak box with maple splines...

sanding paduak box with maple splines...

I have a small paduak box I've built that has dovetail splines in the corners. I'm trying to figure out how to sand it so that the orange paduak dust doesn't embed into the maple, or how to 'clean' the maple if it does. Any ideas or thoughts?
    Clark Harbaugh

Scraper, Lee Valley has some worth a look

Padauk is somewhat "oily". Don't use any solvent to wash away dust. It will cause the padauk dust to stain the maple. Use compressed air if possible to remove the dust. The scraper suggestion is a good one.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

I made a few picture frames with that combo, and sanding wasn't really the problem IIRC, it was the finishing.
    Do your best and then some to clean both surfaces of dust (as said above) and cross your fingers when you apply finish if you're wiping or brushing. Spraying would be ideal.

Paduak and Blood Wood are the hardest for me to work with when I have lighter wood next to them.

The best thing that I have found is to sand then with my ROS with a vac hose attached this helps pull the dust up and not on the lighter wood. I use a micro fiber cloth to clean things up before I put on any finish and like to use spray finish for that.

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    Clark Harbaugh