Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very small batch of NFL logo items question

very small batch of NFL logo items question

I have a request for a couple of different items with an NFL logo on them. While I know that these logos are copyrighted, I know that I could not apply for an NFL license as my business is far to small for that. I see items everywhere that use copyrighted logos (swap meets, craft shows...) so I know that people use them. Have many of you done such business and is there a feasible route to gain approval from the governing bodies ?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Jamieson LG-640 - 60 watt
    Hurricane Floyd - 60 watt
    MK Diamond 370EXP
    Corel X5
    Graphtec CE5000-60

Don

I refuse such business unless the customer has a legitimate letter of permission. I haven't seen one yet so I haven't done logos of that type.

People who ask you to this are, at least in my view, cheapskates who know better.

There are a number of businesses who will come after you for using their logo without proper authorization. Pro sports teams especially.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

and Harley Davidson
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

You shouldn't market an item that sells because of the logo. If you make a Cowboys plaque that only sells because it has the Cowboys name on it, you're living in the wrong.

If you have a customer walk in and wants an item personalized with just the Cowboys logo because he's a big fan, you're living in the wrong but it's a one off and you're not marketing the service. Still wrong, but less wrong.

If you have a customer walk in and they want an item personalized and it's for this and that and the logo plays a small role in the item's presentation.... you get the picture hopefully.

The reality is you have to use your best judgement.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Don,

By even talking about it here, in this forum, the Logo Police will pick it up and put you on their radar.. The BIG brands hire folks just to troll the search engines and chase every dime, er...unauthorized use. I wouldn't chance it, especially if you have a retail storefront. There's just too much to loose.

But sometimes, for small items in small runs, it just might work out to apply for a license if you want to pursue it. I produce items for 5 licensed schools and pay around 10-15% of gross for the privilege. It kinda works out in the end, but does add another layer to the bookkeeping.

Good Luck.
    Bruce Clumpner
    Brandon Services Laser Engraving
    Academy Commemoratives - Personalized Memorabilia for the U.S. Service Academies
    Irvine, CA
    -
    Epilog 75-watt Helix, 40-watt 18-Mini
    Started with Corel Draw V1 now feeling the pain of CorelDraw x7
    CS4 photoshop
    CS4 illustrator
    PhotoGrav

Either I misunderstood the OP or everyone else did... I think everyone thought he was asking how to get away with it when I think he was asking how to do it right. I don't have that answer but I think people should reread his post before jumping on him.

the quick safe answer is don't do it…. its not worth the hassle or losing your business.
    24" x 36" 100 watt laser w/ pass thru and custom 36" rotary • 60 x 120 CNC w/ 8 tool changer • 62" film laminator • 54" 6 color mild solvent printer / cutter

Newest addition to the family.... 60" x 120" flatbed UV printer. 4" max part height.

Synergy Sign & Graphics LLC
    147 Stoutt Drive NE
    Strasburg, OH 44680

I agree with Grayhair, he's not asking how to cheat the system, he's asking how to get approval from the governing body, in this case the Cowboys.

If it were me I would email the Cowboys Office explain to them what you wanted to do, the size of your business so they would know your small fish, and just ask for their approval with an email stating such approval. Maybe offer them 15 or 20% of the sale from your customer. The worst that can happen is they say no . What have you got to lose? Heres how to contact them

http://forms.dallascowboys.com/contact_us.cfm
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 02-20-2014 at 3:33 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dawson View Post
    the quick safe answer is don't do it…. its not worth the hassle or losing your business.
    I really don't think anyone would lose their business over this unless you continued to be an offender.
    Most likely you would get a formal letter to quit doing it with the threat of legal action if it continued.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    The short and skinny is "You won't get approval". The agencies are only looking for people willing to play ball (no pun intended), which means signing contracts, paying the licensing fees, etc. It is not worth their time to deal with one-offs (and legally they can't allow that anyway), so unless you can step up to the plate and pay the big bucks, don't waste your time.

Politely convince the customer they want something else or turn them away.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Gary

I don't see anybody jumping on him. I see advice that generally says "it's a waste of time".
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I really don't think anyone would lose their business over this unless you continued to be an offender.
    Most likely you would get a formal letter to quit doing it with the threat of legal action if it continued.
    You would be surprised Bert, recently an infraction here cost a small seller £150,000 in litigation plus their own legal costs. It cost them their livelihood, their home and their future. All that over less than £100 worth of merchandise.

Some big companies will just send a C&D, some will always take punitive action. A lot depends on the company, one I do a lot of contract work for has a general policy of always bringing suit, no exceptions.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

[QUOTE=Dave Sheldrake;2228822]You would be surprised Bert, recently an infraction here cost a small seller £150,000 in litigation plus their own legal costs. It cost them their livelihood, their home and their future. All that over less than £100 worth of merchandise.

Some big companies will just send a C&D, some will always take punitive action. A lot depends on the company, one I do a lot of contract work for has a general policy of always bringing suit, no exceptions.

cheers
    Dave

I think maybe the laws are more strict in the UK
    Maybe not but I know a guy who made several Items with the HD logo on them and tried selling them on Cragslist. Anyone who knows HD will tell you they vigorously protect their logo. They saw his ad's and made contact and asked him to stop, and no further action would be necessary. Didn't even send a C&D. I think HD saw this guy for what he was a small time guy just selling homemade crafts on the side, not someone trying to make a fortune off the HD logo. They didn't want to ruin him just make him stop.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Whenever I've had requests like this, I ask the customer to provide me with written permission to use the logo. In 30 years, I've only had two do it, out of hundreds who asked..
    Last edited by Dee Gallo; 02-20-2014 at 9:36 PM.
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Don, I pursued getting an MLB license for Orioles items, NFL follows something of a similar nature. Contacted MLB who politely provided me approx 40 pages of legal documents to sign for them to consider granting me a license. If I remember correctly it was up front fee of approximately $40K and then there was royalties on top (based on estimated/vice actual sales). Added fees were calculated based on projected sales figures vice acutal, so you paid the projection regardless if you sold anything. There were many other legal considersations along with exact specifications that were to be followed. Everyone I talked to loved my idea, but in the end IMHO this is why stuff is made in China (no offense intended) where it is manufactured for pennies on the dollar and then costs sooooo much here....royalties. Best of luck if you persue, but as others have said "beware".
    Scott Woodson
    EPILOG 45 Watt Mini
    CorelSuite X5, Photograv 3.0, BoxIT Suite
    WoodWrite mini lathe, Shopsmith Mark V (1980), Hegner 18" scrollsaw
    Ricoh GXe 7700N sublimation printer
    DC16 Digital Combo Heat Press
    CAMEO Silhouette 12" vinyl cutter