Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Fusion

1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodne Gold View Post
    K is for Kilo , 1000 in metric terms .. Kilometer , kilolitre , Kilogram
    Hmmm, you are correct except when used with dollars, use only when preceded by dollar sign and one or more numbers; use no space between number and K (e.g., $3K = $3000 or three thousand dollars) as you will note the poster that started all of this, preceded his amount with a dollar sign ($) consequently it would result in $33.000. $33M would result in $33,000,000 US Dollar!

"$33M would result in $33,000,000 US Dollar!"

I always thought MM was a million. But after checking Google some say a 'M' with a bar over it is a million and MM is 2000. No definitive answer.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Gary

what is your source for this info? It's the first I've heard of it. Hopefully the last.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Gary

what is your source for this info? It's the first I've heard of it. Hopefully the last.
    Mike,

My "source" is my 45 years of experience in operating corporations, finance, mergers & acquisitions. This is standard in business, accounting & finance. But if you need a outside confirmation how about this from Goggle:
    Input question to Google: How much is $33M in dollars?
    Answer:
    33000000 US Dollar

25252524.00 Euro

And I agree, I too hope that this is the end of it. Wow, I never thought that I would create such a issue by asking a clarifying question.

Gary
    Thanks. It's not the first time I've heard of $33M refer to millions but didn't regard it as common practice.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Gary
    Thanks. It's not the first time I've heard of $33M refer to millions but didn't regard it as common practice.
    You are certainly welcome. As I mentioned I was certainly surprised by all of the "dust up" over the clarifying question that I posed. And i would like to thank you for all of the helpful advice that you provide to this Forum, I know that i have found your comments and insights very usefull.

I'm sure there is a good joke brewing in this discussion..... A printer, a computer nerd and a money man were tasked to develop a rocket to land on the the planet Mars. Each was tasked to develop parts of a solution to the speed, altitude and targectory of the landing module called "Fusion" The rocket was built, launched, and as we all know crashed upon the planets surface. "I was using meters to calculate distance" said the printer, "Meters! we use feet here in the old US" said the computer guy. "Meters! Feet ! I thought We were trying to figureout the cost of the Mission?" said the money man.

Who know what a nano second is?????? besides my attention to this bickering

I'll give you a hint ..... It equals 11.8 inches

representing how far electricity can travel in one nanosecond (1 billionth (E-9) sec)

and BTW k stands for spring constant or even kelvin with M= Mass
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 02-27-2013 at 8:49 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

You guys crack me up.... It could be $33GC's! (33 Grover Cleveland's)

edit: can't spell
    Last edited by David Rust; 02-27-2013 at 7:15 PM.
    Epilog Helix 60w
    Epilog Mini 18 30W
    Purex Xbase 200
    CorelDRAW X7
    Wood Carver

$33m HAs any one took note that it might of been a Typo ??? The M is Pretty Close to the K on a qwerty keyboard.... Ant Onr Knoe whay I mear ???

M= Millions
    M= Thousands
    M= Mentos
    M= Mature Content
    M= Mmmmm K ???
    M= And anything else starting with a M

I just thought i would throw my 2 cents in. Since we were all getting trivial. Maybe he actually meant $33 dollars in Mentos ? That would be a pretty decent price IMO !
    Last edited by Jesse Anderson; 03-04-2013 at 1:48 PM.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

I always thought M stood for Mentos ... $33 Dollars in Mentos... That would be a good buy.
    To the people who correct grammar to prove a point

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteers be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Jasper View Post
    The speed rate has been increased in vector cutting and the quality is still beyond anything out there. Tim Jasper
    How are they able to improve the vector cutting quality. I am under the impression that when it comes to vector cutting, a chinese laser is just as good as a ULS/Epilog/Trotec. Are there images where we can see the difference? My coworkers all seem to favor Trotec, but I'm a bit biased toward domestically made machines so it's again down to ULS or Epilog.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John J Wang View Post
    I am under the impression that when it comes to vector cutting, a chinese laser is just as good as a ULS/Epilog/Trotec.
    While I cannot speak for the manufacturers themselves, this would be a bad assumption to make. There are multiple reasons for one machine to be better than another (and I'm not mentioning one manufacturer over another or pitting domestic versus Chinese). For example, if you can control the tube's output to a finer degree, you get a better cut... this is almost always the case with metal tubes compared to glass (due to both better QA and design). All things being equal, a better power vs. motion control speed algorithm will show improved results... again, this is typically a nod towards domestic machines due to better algorithm design from in-house R&D rather than copying (literally) what everyone else is doing (though to be fair, I do not think some of the domestic manufacturers get this even CLOSE to correct, and proving it is easy).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by John J Wang View Post
    How are they able to improve the vector cutting quality. I am under the impression that when it comes to vector cutting, a chinese laser is just as good as a ULS/Epilog/Trotec. Are there images where we can see the difference? My coworkers all seem to favor Trotec, but I'm a bit biased toward domestically made machines so it's again down to ULS or Epilog.
    Yes, there is a difference with some. Looks like Epilog and Trotec are both doing it. With Trotec's new job control, it can send bezier curves over instead of how most lasers handle it. The end result is a very smooth cut which is most notable on acrylics. Would you notice the difference on wood? Probably not. Acrylic? Most certainly.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Does it mean a servo motor driven system will have better edge compared to stepper driven systems on an acrylic cut?. It will be interesting to see the acrylic edges cut with different machines.

Kim

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Vellore View Post
    Does it mean a servo motor driven system will have better edge compared to stepper driven systems on an acrylic cut?. It will be interesting to see the acrylic edges cut with different machines.

Kim
    It has nothing to do with servo vs. stepper, it's the method in which the graphic is sent over to the laser. It's essentially sending a much better quality product to the laser, so it can then cut.

If you haven't seen acrylic cut with this technology, you're in for a treat. I can't speak for the Epilog, I've never seen it, but I imagine it's the same type thing Trotec is doing. Trotec calls it "Enhanced Geometry" and you have to change some things in Corel to make it work.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.