Thread: Best book!

Best book!

So I've been 'playing about' with my new epilog for a while now and am really starting to get to grips with it! but....

The applications really seem endless!!

I received a laser bits catalogue recently, and rather than excite me it kind of worried me! there are so many products out there for lasers!

Is there a book that anyone recommends to summarise the products that are out there, what they do and how to use them correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Alick

Personally I have learned more from this forum than I could every image learning from a single book. There are so many people here with so many different ideas, and all are more than willing to share the things they have learned with everyone else. I don't think anyone could author such a book. Perhaps a series of them, but there is just too much information to fit it all in only one book.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Maybe a idea for a experienced member!

Alick,

I know you may be new to the laser, so I'll give you that!

Once you start really playing, er working with it you'll
    understand that you won't have any time to write a book
    or read a book or anything else for that matter.

Lasers can be all consuming!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Alick

welcome to SMC.

I suggest you visit all the laser manufacturer's sites and have a look at all their examples.

If you're curious about a specific material you might also try a search of our old posts. Most things have been discussed at one time or another.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm a book nut, have thousands of them, but I don't think a book would really be a lot of help here. Theory is good, but hands-on is the only way you'll figure out what works for you and your customers.

Besides this forum, you can browse commercial websits and see what seems to sell well or looks like fun to try. Always a good source for ideas (but don't step on anyone's copyrights, of course).

Best if you stayed on projects that interest you personally, because you'll need to keep your enthusiasm up while sales are slow, and odds are they will be at first. Good luck!

Dave
    Epilog 35 W 12x24
    Adobe Illustrator
    Dell PC

Do what most of the others here have done, including myself. Start at Page 1 of this forum, and read it all... Far more interesting than any book, lots of ideas to try, lots of files to download and engrave or cut, and virtually every question you have ever had, or even can think of, has probably already been answered here.. Sit back, relax, and start reading. Believe me, it a real 'page turner'
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I think I might do that! some great post on here!

Blog Entries
    I'm writing as fast as I can, but my book is more than a year out (and most likely more). It covers theory in such a way as to make use more intuitive rather than wild guesses.

but as others have said, getting your hands dirty is one of the best ways to learn...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5