Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Saw Stop PCS Dust Collecting Blade Guard

New Saw Stop PCS Dust Collecting Blade Guard

I finally found some pics and info on the blade guard that will come with the SS PCS saw. I was told it looks pretty cool but had never seen it. I came across an artice on popular woodworking tonight. It does look pretty cool. I am not too excited about another hose and noise maker in my shop, but this blade guard is included with the new saw. That should be another selling point.

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...w+Issue+2.aspx
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Interesting looking design. I don't really see a dust port, unless its straight out the back. And I wonder what the two metal rods on top are for?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    Interesting looking design. I don't really see a dust port, unless its straight out the back. And I wonder what the two metal rods on top are for?
    I believe the Sawstop folks are claiming 99% dust extraction using this design without using any kind of above the table vacuum.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan View Post
    Interesting looking design. I don't really see a dust port, unless its straight out the back. And I wonder what the two metal rods on top are for?
    The rods look like they are there to assist raising the unit when sliding a piece under the hood to cut. Looks like it would be a smoother rise than current hood designs.
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Wow! That is a nice, well thought out design. They must have one of the best design teams in the power tool industry, if not the best. That is a very cool.

Also just noticed the anti-kickback pawls incorporated in the design. NICE!
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    I believe the Sawstop folks are claiming 99% dust extraction using this design without using any kind of above the table vacuum.
    Not too doubt them.. but how does that work?
    If all the vacuum is coming out of the bottom, does the dust thrown by the blade get sucked in through the blade slot?

It seems to me that if the dust guard is "sealed' well enough to avoid throwing dust in the air, it's going to have a difficult time getting enough air flow to pull the dust thrown by the blade.

Again, I am not calling them a liar, I just don't see how this would work (which is probably my own short coming )

It seems to me that if the dust guard is "sealed' well enough to avoid throwing dust in the air, it's going to have a difficult time getting enough air flow to pull the dust thrown by the blade.
    Go to the link that Paul put in the first post. The mechanics of DC for the guard are explained...

Here it is again:
    http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...w+Issue+2.aspx

How did they do it? In laymen’s terms, engineers found a way to transform the normally turbulent air surrounding the saw blade into laminar air that travels like a jet stream. In other words, SawStop molded the blade guard and manipulated the lower dust shroud to move the air – and the corresponding wood dust – directly toward and into a hose connection in rear of the blade guard
    Last edited by Frank Trinkle; 06-25-2009 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added quote from linked story

Ben Weingarten

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Johnstone View Post
    Not too doubt them.. but how does that work? )
    Although I am not familiar with their new guard, I can tell you that (as a result of their under the table shroud design) my original Industrial Sawstop does a tremendous job of minimizing (not eliminating by any means, but minimizing) the above table dust. I replaced my "only about one year old at the time" JET cabinet saw and was pleasantly surprised with the difference in the amount of dust it collects under the table. I assume this newer generation Sawstop takes that one step further.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

The great secret has been revealed - companies in North America actually have to start seriously engineering their products. In woodworking particularly we have put up with backyard cobbled equipment designs for far too long.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    The great secret has been revealed - companies in North America actually have to start seriously engineering their products. In woodworking particularly we have put up with backyard cobbled equipment designs for far too long.
    Agreed, we're still a long way behind, however we are finally catching up.........Rod.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    The blog article says the guard has a hose connection at the back; maybe they meant underneath. It would be nice to have just a single connection to the table saw.

From what I under stood. This directly from SS before I bought my PCS saw. The new blade guard will require a seperate hose to it. That kind of stinks I was hoping they would design some way to use the existing dust collection port. My shop vac is entirly to nosiy, I will never use this guarde if I have to use my shop vac. Even though I have never mounted the guard that came with my saw on it.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    From what I under stood. This directly from SS before I bought my PCS saw. The new blade guard will require a seperate hose to it. That kind of stinks I was hoping they would design some way to use the existing dust collection port. My shop vac is entirly to nosiy, I will never use this guarde if I have to use my shop vac. Even though I have never mounted the guard that came with my saw on it.
    "Laminar air flow" or not, it would be hard to do it all from underneath. I'm not an engineer, but the way the dust flies forward as the saw cuts would make it hard to pull it under the table without a hole in front of the blade for it to go into.

The guard itself looks like it is in two or three pieces (the clear plastic). I'm assuming it slides up and down to accommodate the stock.

Its an interesting design. I think SS is doing some of the most creative engineering we've seen for a while on table saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ryan View Post
    Paul,

Get a Y connector to attach to your 4" just before the table saw and add a 2 1/2" adapter to one side and simply connect that to the back of the guard and the other side to the lower DC outlet. Don't need to use your shop vac.

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JW1015-4-I.../dp/B00005A1I8

http://www.amazon.com/Jet-JW1039-1-I.../dp/B000077CPN

Cheers

Ben Weingarten