PDA

View Full Version : Used drill press buying guide?

Kesh Ikuma
12-05-2013, 4:59 PM
Hey, it has been over an year since I last asked this forum about a cheap bench-top drill press that I found off craigslist. I turned it down based on the comments given here, and I'm glad I did... I think...

I'm given an opportunity to buy an old Walker Turner drill press, which the current owner has put a good bit of work on (converted from bench-top to a floor model, link belt, new motor, etc.) He's asking $200, which I think is a good price for it, but more than what I originally budgeted for a drill press. So, I want to make sure things are in the top-notch condition mechanically before I pull the trigger.

What would your checklist look like if you are evaluating a used drill press?

Thanks!
Kesh

Myk Rian
12-05-2013, 5:36 PM
You would have to tear it down to give a 100% inspection. But barring that, make sure the spindle isn't sloppy in the quill.
$200 isn't a bad price for a good WT drill press.

Kesh Ikuma
12-05-2013, 5:44 PM
Thanks Myk,

But barring that, make sure the spindle isn't sloppy in the quill.

Could you elaborate on this? How can I tell that spindle is sloppy in the quill?

$200 isn't a bad price for a good WT drill press.

That's good to hear. I bought a 14" Delta BS from the same guy, and he appears to take good care of his tools. So, I'm hopeful.

John Schweikert
12-05-2013, 6:25 PM
When is comes to a drill press, runout at the chuck would be my main concern. Layman's, is the chuck smooth with no noticeable wobble at a drill bit point.

Earl McLain
12-05-2013, 9:45 PM
When is comes to a drill press, runout at the chuck would be my main concern. Layman's, is the chuck smooth with no noticeable wobble at a drill bit point.

Another translation--put a 1/4" bit in the chuck, drill a hole. Check to see if the hole is the same size as the bit. Any extra size of the hole is "runout".

Kesh Ikuma
12-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Another translation--put a 1/4" bit in the chuck, drill a hole. Check to see if the hole is the same size as the bit. Any extra size of the hole is "runout".

That's an easy test I can perform! What's an acceptable runout for woodworking purpose? <0.01" be enough?

Jeff Duncan
12-06-2013, 10:16 AM
I'd say if it runs and drills fairly straight holes then you can't go wrong for $200. That's pretty low in the spectrum of drill presses and WT are usually pretty decent machines. Don't expect to get a machine that drills to really high tolerances for that price…….but you really don't need super precision for most woodworking operations anyway;)

Take a look at it and drill some holes, if everything works OK, Bingo!

good luck,
JeffD