Thread: Used drill press buying guide?

Used drill press buying guide?

Hey, it has been over an year since I last asked this forum about a cheap bench-top drill press that I found off craigslist. I turned it down based on the comments given here, and I'm glad I did... I think...

I'm given an opportunity to buy an old Walker Turner drill press, which the current owner has put a good bit of work on (converted from bench-top to a floor model, link belt, new motor, etc.) He's asking $200, which I think is a good price for it, but more than what I originally budgeted for a drill press. So, I want to make sure things are in the top-notch condition mechanically before I pull the trigger.

What would your checklist look like if you are evaluating a used drill press?

Thanks!
    Kesh

You would have to tear it down to give a 100% inspection. But barring that, make sure the spindle isn't sloppy in the quill.
    $200 isn't a bad price for a good WT drill press.
    Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Thanks Myk,

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    But barring that, make sure the spindle isn't sloppy in the quill.
    Could you elaborate on this? How can I tell that spindle is sloppy in the quill?

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    $200 isn't a bad price for a good WT drill press.
    That's good to hear. I bought a 14" Delta BS from the same guy, and he appears to take good care of his tools. So, I'm hopeful.

When is comes to a drill press, runout at the chuck would be my main concern. Layman's, is the chuck smooth with no noticeable wobble at a drill bit point.

Quote Originally Posted by John Schweikert View Post
    When is comes to a drill press, runout at the chuck would be my main concern. Layman's, is the chuck smooth with no noticeable wobble at a drill bit point.
    Another translation--put a 1/4" bit in the chuck, drill a hole. Check to see if the hole is the same size as the bit. Any extra size of the hole is "runout".

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Another translation--put a 1/4" bit in the chuck, drill a hole. Check to see if the hole is the same size as the bit. Any extra size of the hole is "runout".
    That's an easy test I can perform! What's an acceptable runout for woodworking purpose? <0.01" be enough?

I'd say if it runs and drills fairly straight holes then you can't go wrong for $200. That's pretty low in the spectrum of drill presses and WT are usually pretty decent machines. Don't expect to get a machine that drills to really high tolerances for that price…….but you really don't need super precision for most woodworking operations anyway

Take a look at it and drill some holes, if everything works OK, Bingo!

good luck,
    JeffD