PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question: Where to oil my nail gun?

Louis Brandt
11-02-2010, 2:14 PM
Hello,

I know this is dumb, but I want to make sure that I do this right. I have two PC nail guns (brad and finish nailers), but they're both oil-less guns, so I've never had to oil a nail gun, but I just bought the PC PN100 pin nailer, and it requires oil. I know that I'm only supposed to put a couple of drops in it, but where do they go?

Do they just go into the air connection inlet (where I attach the air hose)?

Thanks,
Louis

Dan Friedrichs
11-02-2010, 2:15 PM
Hello,

Yep. Don't do it too frequently, though - the "one or two drops" is if you use it all day long.

Lex Boegen
11-02-2010, 2:35 PM
I bought a short "cheater hose" (about four feet or so long) and attached an inline oiler to the end of it. When I use a tool that needs oil, I attach the cheater hose to my air hose and the tool to the inline oiler. I detach the cheater hose when using something that doesn't require oil (like spray painting, sand blasting, etc.) The inline oiler supplies a small amount of oil as a mist when you're using the tool, and it prevents forgetting to oil the tool.

Louis Brandt
11-02-2010, 2:43 PM
Thanks to all. By the way, I just bought this PC pin nailer at Home Depot, while they had them at the reduced price of $69. I've had good success with my other two PC nailers, and I wanted a pin nailer, so I jumped on this one.

Louis

Jerome Hanby
11-02-2010, 3:09 PM
For what it's worth, I don't use my nailers very often, so every time I break one out, I put a drop or two of oil in the air nipple then hook up the hose. So far I'm still using the oil that came with the kit, but it looks like a light weight machine oil. When it runs out, I'll probably use spout turbine oil (think that's the name, I use it on my Shopsmith).

Jeremy Brant
11-03-2010, 12:56 PM
For what it's worth, I don't use my nailers very often, so every time I break one out, I put a drop or two of oil in the air nipple then hook up the hose. So far I'm still using the oil that came with the kit, but it looks like a light weight machine oil. When it runs out, I'll probably use spout turbine oil (think that's the name, I use it on my Shopsmith).

I don't know what spout turbine oil is, but you can find "air tool oil" at any of the box stores in the air tool section for a very nominal price that will last years if your usage is anything like mine.

Neil Brooks
11-03-2010, 1:02 PM
I don't know what spout turbine oil is, but you can find "air tool oil" at any of the box stores in the air tool section for a very nominal price that will last years if your usage is anything like mine.

+1

Though I hesitate to say it ... I picked up mine, at Harbor Freight :o

Jim Heffner
11-06-2010, 11:19 PM
A couple of drops of light oil in the air hose connection does the job. You can also use 3 n 1 oil or sewing machine oil, all the same thing and all works equally well. I use those or Marvel Mystery oil, WD-40, or air tool oil all those work too! The main thing is lubrication ( light weight type) is more important than brand. I have been using these in my air tools for years and never a failure from lack of lubrication.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-06-2010, 11:59 PM
My local Ace Hardware has A/C oil and pneumatic tool oil also. It's neither expensive nor hard to find.

Brian Penning
11-07-2010, 4:47 AM
How about a dummer question??
No chance of any oil getting sprayed onto the work?

Rich Engelhardt
11-07-2010, 6:21 AM

Read pages 6, 7 and 8 of the manual.
Under "Power Sources" on page 6, it's kind of hidden but they do say to put a couple drops of oil into the air inlet.
They repeat it on page 8 under troubleshooting.

Although you didn't ask,,,,pay particular attention to page 7 w/regards to how to orient the pins.

If you get the arrows on the pins facing the wrong direction, the gun will jam.
I suggest picking up a Sharpie and marking more arrows on the pins.
I tossed quite a few pins due to the fact that PC is real stingey about how many arrows they put on them before I wised up and started marking them myself...

No chance of any oil getting sprayed onto the work?

Not so dumb a question as you might think.

Yes - there is a risk of blowing oil onto places you won't want it.

Excess oil will blow out the exhaust port, so, be aware of where it's directed before you start.
The PC pin nailer exhausts right above the air inlet, so, excess oil can and will cover your hand.
My 18 and 16 and 15 ga guns all have directional exhausts on top of the mailer that can rotate to direct the air/oil away from things.

If you're a basic idiot like me, you find out the hard way as you look down the wall and see shiney spots every 16 inches...that you should have paid attention to where the exhaust is pointed:o

Myk Rian
11-07-2010, 7:48 AM
+1

Though I hesitate to say it ... I picked up mine, at Harbor Freight :o

Doesn't matter where you get it. Just as long as you use it.

Bob Elliott
11-07-2010, 8:04 AM
I bought a short "cheater hose" (about four feet or so long) and attached an inline oiler to the end of it. When I use a tool that needs oil, I attach the cheater hose to my air hose and the tool to the inline oiler. I detach the cheater hose when using something that doesn't require oil (like spray painting, sand blasting, etc.) The inline oiler supplies a small amount of oil as a mist when you're using the tool, and it prevents forgetting to oil the tool.

I did the same thing. This short hose has served me well for many years. I got the inline oiler at Home Depot.

Curt Harms
11-07-2010, 8:14 AM
Although you didn't ask,,,,pay particular attention to page 7 w/regards to how to orient the pins.
If you get the arrows on the pins facing the wrong direction, the gun will jam.
I suggest picking up a Sharpie and marking more arrows on the pins.
I tossed quite a few pins due to the fact that PC is real stingey about how many arrows they put on them before I wised up and started marking them myself...

True about orientation. I got some colored markers and color the top of the pins dark brown or black. 23 ga. pins are pretty inconspicuous to start with, if the heads are the same color as the wood they're even less conspicuous. Of course there's always filling but it may not be necessary unless they're front & center.

Rich Engelhardt
11-07-2010, 9:51 AM
I like that!
Color the tops!
So simple it should have been evident.:rolleyes:

Craig Carpenter
11-07-2010, 10:03 AM
As for any oil making its way through to the work surface, I usually pop off about 5 rounds into a peice of scrap after I've oiled my guns. Dust is the enemy of any nail gun, particularly when installing trim after the drywall, mud/tape/texture has gone in. Every now and then I have to blow the gun off, remove the front section that houses the drive pin, wipe down every where a rag can reach. I then take a can of WD40 and spray the moving parts and wipe it down again with a clean rag. I also have mounted a Binks water displacement unit to the side of my compressor to try and catch some of the moisture making it's way through to the hose.