PDA

View Full Version : Do I need belt sander?

Jay Yoder
11-28-2009, 2:01 PM
Local retailer has PC 352vs clearanced and I am contemplating the investment, I guess in an effort to justify the $ to LOML I wondered how much it will be used. My thoughts are for taking the dirt skin off or reclaimed lumber and also for sanding tops flush, etc...I already have an ROS and a pad sander and this seemed to be a good deal...any input?

glenn bradley
11-28-2009, 3:03 PM
I don't think I've used my belt sander in over 3 years. By the time I do the brand new belts I bought for it about 5 years ago will probably be bad.

Steve Clardy
11-28-2009, 4:02 PM
Seldom use mine anymore.

Jason White
11-28-2009, 4:02 PM
When you need a belt sander, nothing else will do.

I tried taking some old paint and gunk off reclaimed pine boards yesterday using my Festool ROTEX and even it couldn't do as good a job as my old, junky Craftsman belt sander.

There's simply no substitute.

Jason

Local retailer has PC 352vs clearanced and I am contemplating the investment, I guess in an effort to justify the $ to LOML I wondered how much it will be used. My thoughts are for taking the dirt skin off or reclaimed lumber and also for sanding tops flush, etc...I already have an ROS and a pad sander and this seemed to be a good deal...any input?

Don Morris
11-28-2009, 4:38 PM
Rarely, but turned on its side, its a good, quick shovel and axe sharpener.

Carroll Courtney
11-28-2009, 4:51 PM
Belt sanders are speciality items,being sold for the sole purpose of removing wood fast.Like everythink else comes in a variety of sizes.Making butcher block tops?Pull out the beltsander,just glued up some panels and need to level them(if you don't have a drum sander)pull out the belt sander.Right now I'm making a cabinet and the faceframe needs to be flush with the inside panel,its off by a 1/32.If I had the small belt sander that PC makes I would be using it instead of the ORS.Get you one and when the need comes up you will have it.---Carroll

Jim Foster
11-28-2009, 5:31 PM
I used one all the time before I purchased a 22-44" drum sander. Any boards I planed and/or glued up would end up getting touched with the belt sander to remove any snipe or chatter marks before using the random orbit sander. The biggest challenge I used to have, is that it can remove a lot of wood fast and usually when your not looking as close as you should be.

I will still use it occasionally, but not nearly as much as I used to.

Gary Herrmann
11-28-2009, 6:13 PM
They're good for lapping the backs of old chisels and plan irons.

RON F. ANDERSON
11-28-2009, 6:28 PM
I would say yes... As said before this is one of those tools that when you need it there is little to subsitute for it. And you can do a lot with them. ( just remember you have it) if you can get one at a good price I say buy one!! There is always room for another tool!!!:D

Jay Yoder
11-29-2009, 12:02 AM
We shall see if they still have it tomorrow. Maybe the decision has already been made for me. You know how those clearance deals are...Here today, gone tonight...

David Cefai
11-29-2009, 7:38 AM
I wouldn't count on removing paint with a belt sander - the belts clog up very quickly.

Incidentally, if you mount it on a little "belt sander table" it becomes an even more useful tool.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-29-2009, 9:45 AM
I wouldn't know how to flatten a wide panel or table top without a hand held belt sander. Though I own a 24" wide belt sander, I still need the hand held to flatten wide panels table tops and face frames wider than my wide belt can handle. I know Random Orbital sanders have a lot of capability but they don't replace a belt sander for me. My advice would be to own at a 3X21" belt sander with a bag.
fmr

Jay Yoder
11-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I just checked in and they still have the PC for about $127 and also found out that they have the B&D Dragster model for about $45. I would like to buy the better tool, but was curious if the Dragster could do some of the same things. I realize that it is not as heavy duty as the PC and is not variable speed. Could a router speed control be used with it to make it quasi-variable speed. Maybe not a legitimate comparison, just thought I would throw it out there...I have never needed a belt sander before now, so I just thought why spend more than I have to. I need to "level" the edgebanding for some cabinet tops prior to putting the laminate on and I tought the belt sander would work.

David Prince
11-29-2009, 10:35 AM
This is probably one of those cases where you should just buy a Harbor Freight model for $39.99 (add a 20% off coupon for more savings) or a $55 Skil. If you are not sure how much you are going to use it, do not invest alot into it. If it turns out that you do use it a lot, invest in a better one. I went through two of the $55 Skil models before I invested in a decent Porter Cable. I have no regrets. I do not use it all the time, but as posted here: There really is no substitute if you need it. If you know you NEED a tool, you will know what you NEED to spend.

Gary Gleave
11-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I get a lot of use out of a belt sander.
My first belt sander was a Porter Cable unit that looked like a small locomotive. It was a great tool, but limited in use.
I am now on my second Bosch belt sander.The nice things about the Bosch sander is the light weight, and the ability to lay it on its back. The cons are the light weight, and the lack of ability to clamp it when on its back. Bosch's way of promoting their carriage I suppose.

Kent A Bathurst
11-29-2009, 1:14 PM
I don't think I've used my belt sander in over 3 years. By the time I do the brand new belts I bought for it about 5 years ago will probably be bad.

Pretty much the same here. I use mine a couple times a year, then skip a couple years. The 8-yr-old belts are shot - very short cycle time these days. Will need some new ones when I get it out next time. Like other responses, it is one of those tools that do what nothing else will do, when you run into the right situation. Glad I have it; realize I overspent on a top-end PC, but live and learn.

Simon Dupay
11-29-2009, 6:43 PM
buy the PC and stay away from that B&D junk me I can't live without my 4 belt sanders (1-skil 3"x24" worm-drive 448, 2-3"x21" PC And a 25 lb. 4"x27" PC 500 worm-drive sander) for sanding edges, tabletops, leveling and quickly sand for finishing. A belt sander takes more skill to wield a belt sander then a hand plane and just like a plane it a skill of a good craftsmen to successfully wield one.

sean m. titmas
11-29-2009, 10:22 PM
i have the 4x24 PC and use it quite often in the shop and in the field. everything from prepping stock and grinding down nicked chisels to scribing c-tops and cabinet scribe strips. with a 60 grit belt i can even rough shape different curved furniture parts. if you have the sander you will continue to find different uses for it with just about every project you do. personally i like the 4x24 size but for most it is too big. but in this case the price is too good to pass up. so i say go for it, you wont regret it.

Jim Rimmer
11-29-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't use mine often but when I do one of two things occur:

1. It does a job nothing else could have done.
2. I destroy whatever I was using it on.

I'm glad I have mine but be aware you can do a lot of damage in a very short period of time.

mark kosse
11-29-2009, 10:57 PM
I use one often in place of a drum sander. I wouldn't be without one.

That being said, I like the heft and face length of the 360/361 over the 352VS I now have. They seem to do a better job with less effort on flat work. I sure wouldn't want to use them overhead though.

After going back and reading all the posts I'd like to add I had a much lighter but quality makita 21" belt sander I didn't like near as much as the PC. The weight is what makes it for me.

Cary Falk
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
I have a Makita 3x18 and a 4x24. I don't use them much since I got a drum sander, but when you need one, not much else will do the job.

Richard M. Wolfe
11-30-2009, 1:17 AM
I use a belt sander a lot....probably more than I should. As a couple have said, it's easy to destroy something using one to save time. I have owned both a fifty buck 3x21 sander and one that sold for nearly three times that. The fifty buck sander was a lot more than three times the aggravation. they both look about the same but sure handle differently. I would recommend getting one with a flat top that can be flipped over, no telling how many hundred times I've done that. I also have the 4x24 Porter Cable 'locomotive' and there have been occasions when that hog with 60 grit paper was the thing for the job.

Greg Wittler
11-30-2009, 1:39 AM
I checked out this thread as a belt sander is a tool on my short list, the last belt sander I owned was a Black and decker which worked great for refinishing a kitchen table that someone else tried to finish with a pad sander and left many deep gouges in the top, but the second time I went to use it it was shooting sparks like a forth of July firework, so I tossed it in the trash.

sean m. titmas
11-30-2009, 1:56 PM
I checked out this thread as a belt sander is a tool on my short list, the last belt sander I owned was a Black and decker which worked great for refinishing a kitchen table that someone else tried to finish with a pad sander and left many deep gouges in the top, but the second time I went to use it it was shooting sparks like a forth of July firework, so I tossed it in the trash.

a belt sander that shoots sparks most likely needs the belt adjusted. not a big deal but you might be better off by tossing the B&D.

Jay Yoder
11-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Just an update, I may be really close to pulling the trigger on the PC. Talked with the wife tonight and her statement was, if you need it you need it. They offered me 15% OFF the clearance price! Is this too good to pass up? I have two projects I could use it on immediately! Hopefully it will still be there tomorrow!!! I have to sleep on the decision, nothing like buying your own Christmas present! :D

Erik Frederiksen
12-01-2009, 12:34 AM
When you need a belt sander, nothing else will do.

I tried taking some old paint and gunk off reclaimed pine boards yesterday using my Festool ROTEX and even it couldn't do as good a job as my old, junky Craftsman belt sander.

There's simply no substitute.

Jason

I think the Festool RAS 115 would be a better choice for paint removal.

A belt sander is pretty low on my list of needs after buying a Rotex, it solves most of what I used to use a belt sander for and does a much better job.

Tony Bilello
12-01-2009, 1:05 AM
I have the PC 4 X 24 and couldnt live without it. It is fast at flattening table tops and rounding edges. I generally just use the 80 and 100 grit. The 4 X 24 is powerful and yet stable in that it sits flat on you surface and does not have the tendency to dig in on the sides like the narrrower ones do. If you dont have a firm grip, it will take you for the ride of your life.

Gary Breckenridge
12-01-2009, 1:28 AM
A belt sander is all about right now. Other tools will do the job but if you want it done right now...;)

It takes a while to get used to your first belt sander.;) Everybody has tools that we use and feel comfortable with. Other tools, not so much.

Gary Gleave
12-01-2009, 2:11 AM
nothing like throwing on a 50 foot extension cord and watching two locomotives racing down the hallway

mickey cassiba
12-01-2009, 7:16 AM
nothing like throwing on a 50 foot extension cord and watching two locomotives racing down the hallway
Many years ago I caught my young son and his cousin doing just that with my old A3! Through the yard no less. Looking back, it was rather funny, back then, not so much.
Mick

Dave Gaul
12-01-2009, 8:43 AM
I say go for it Jay! Especially if you are going to be working with reclaimed lumber. Hitting dirty lumber with the belt sander first will save wear-and-tear on your sharp blades.

Mike Shields
12-01-2009, 10:38 AM
Got a like-new (really) DeWalt 433 VS 3 x 21 belt sander for sale. Used once (really).

PM me if interested.

Mike

Bill White
12-01-2009, 1:48 PM
I almost hesitate to tell you guys what I have....a Ryobi 3 x 21 that I bought years ago. Variable speed. Dang thing won't die. When ya need 'em, there is no substitute.
Bill

Paul Atkins
12-01-2009, 2:00 PM
I learned to use a belt sander to sand face frames flush 30 years ago. Talk about potential for destruction! We were making apt. kitchen cabinets - 5 kitchens a week installed. Since then, I rarely use one, but the 4" base makes quite a difference than the 3". It does what I need it to do when needed. Cheap belts are no bargain.

Paul Johnstone
12-01-2009, 2:25 PM
I would not buy a cheap belt sander. You get what you pay for.
The cheap one may not track the belt properly, which makes it useless.
It may also be underpowered and stall.

Either get the PC or don't get one, IMO, of course.. I don't mean to insult anyone that has the B+D.

Dave Gaul
12-01-2009, 3:12 PM
Don't feel bad Bill! Mine is a 3X21 Skill that the LOML got me last year for a present... I picked it out of course, but didn't see the need for a high end one for as little as I use it, but when I need it, it does the job just fine, or coarse! (sorry, had to!)

Karl Brogger
12-01-2009, 6:20 PM
I use a belt sander all the time.

-Face frames that won't fit through the widebelt assembled, go through un-assembled. No matter what, not everything lines up and it has to be sanded. I ain't doin' that with orbital. Same with big panelled ends.

-I refuse to use edgebanding. So every shelf I make gets a 1", or 1-1/4" edge on it. I'm not going to run a flush trimmer across every one, so the belt sander knocks em' flat. I don't even bother running an orbital across the bottom side of the shelf anymore. The belt sander does a good enough job for something that is never seen again, or at the very least is always in a shaddow, once installed.

-Dovetail drawers, I sand the top and bottom edges to take care of saw marks, and to level anything off that wasn't lined up flush. I also sand the sides this way. If there is any gaps in the dovetails, (which no matter what there always is), a little spot of glue and the dust from the belt sander while sanding them flat does the trick.

-I belt sand all of my finished ends before sanding them with a orbital.

They're handy, and once you know how to use one, they cease to be tools of mass destruction. I typically use a 120g belt as well in the shop.

Jay Yoder
12-01-2009, 10:57 PM
I still have not gotten it yet, maybe tomorrow? Sure hope they still have it! Definately sounds like I will find many uses for it once it is my posession. IIRC, Norm used one to round over the corners on his router table top...

mickey cassiba
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
With all that's been said, I must admit that though I own two, an older 3x21 VS and a practically new 3x24 "locomotive", I don't use them much anymore.
The PC 352VS is a good machine, but watch out for the cord...I can't count how many we dug out of the back end. It'll strip the drive belt and if you have a T5 with the plastic pulley, strip the pulley off of the shaft. Prime cause of warranty returns at the refurb shop.
Mickey

Tony Bilello
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
Paul brings up some really important points " Talk about potential for destruction!", oh yeah, one false move and there goes the table top.
....."but the 4" base makes quite a difference than the 3" - Another important point. I currently have the 4 X 24 PC (new) and just about always have had the older PC 4 X 24. It is fairly heavy and very powerful. Because of the broad base, it tends to want to stay flat which is something the narrow ones dont like to do. I fully trust it and myself to level a table top in literally minutes. This sucker eats wood especially with an 80 or 100 grit belt. "Cheap belts are no bargain" .....and neither is a cheap belt sander.

Jeff Sudmeier
12-02-2009, 7:45 AM
I use mine on every wide panel glueup that I do. It's real easy to use once you get used to it. I would get rid of some other tools before I got rid of my belt sander. It's storage location is in my vice. I turn it on all the time to fine tune the fit of something.

Jay Yoder
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Well, unfortunately, I waited too long and someone else picked up a steal! I know I always am a day late dollar short...

Mark Boyette
12-03-2009, 10:54 PM
Personally I use the belt sander a lot. Much of it is on solid surface and laminate counters. Still use it quite a bit on solid wood projects. Takes down planer and joiner marks in an instant, and makes for much less sanding with the DA. A must have for a shop in my opinion.

Glen Butler
12-04-2009, 2:01 AM
My little 2.5 x 14, was a life saver. ROS just couldn't cut the mustard, so I bought the PC-371K. I had to get into the corners of these treads and risers. The thing paid for itself the same day.

When you need one, you need one. But that is not very often.

Joshua Layne
12-04-2009, 2:04 AM
used my PC belt sander today for the first time in years - to level a cast iron surface :P It didn't get it perfect, but it got it close a lot faster than my sandpaper and reference granite block were. The sandpaper and granite are doing their final work now and the belt sander is put away...

guess another vote for - nice to have when you need it.