Thread: storing kiln dried white and red oak outside

storing kiln dried white and red oak outside

Hey folks,
    I have a couple of stacks of white oak and one red oak that are coming out of a kiln. I don't have any more room to store it inside.
    Is it going to destroy it if I stack it off the ground and tarp it? I live in Wis and it gets humid here, and most store it inside of course, but the humidity gets to it there as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    thanks,
    Stevo

Blog Entries
    I have had to store dried wood outside for short periods. I have very good tarps & don't leave it out too long and hope we don't have a monsoon or tornado. A tarp that is truly waterproof and stays waterproof costs about the same as barn metal. Heavy weight PVC truck tarps provide excellent protection.

Screen Shot 2024-05-14 at 6.22.46 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-14-2024 at 7:30 AM.

No, that's a viable option. I did that and it worked fine. However, leave good space so you can occasionally blow out any bugs or debris that collects inside. Both can attract bugs.

The sap wood regions are prone to rot and bugs, so if you can rip much of this off, your probability of success might improve.

Wax the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    No, that's a viable option. I did that and it worked fine. However, leave good space so you can occasionally blow out any bugs or debris that collects inside. Both can attract bugs.

The sap wood regions are prone to rot and bugs, so if you can rip much of this off, your probability of success might improve.

Wax the ends.

Curious why you recommend waxing the ends after coming out of the kiln.

John

I missed "coming out of the kiln". I assumed incorrectly it was going onto the pile green, to be air dried.

thanks every one

Quote Originally Posted by stevo wis View Post
    Hey folks,
    I have a couple of stacks of white oak and one red oak that are coming out of a kiln. I don't have any more room to store it inside.
    Is it going to destroy it if I stack it off the ground and tarp it? I live in Wis and it gets humid here, and most store it inside of course, but the humidity gets to it there as well. Any advice would be much appreciated.
    thanks,
    Stevo
    Folks,
    I got about half of the white oak inside and have a stack of 1/3 white and 2/3 red outside under cover. I will be starting on my white oak kitchen soon and will deplete things.
    Thanks for all your responses,
    Stevo