Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for feedback before I buy an Avid CNC

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    No question it was the right choice for you...I hope I didn't sound like I was suggesting otherwise, because I wasn't!

If you're using straight sided tabs, try tapered tabs...smoother operation because the spindle can keep moving laterially while the uppy-downy thing happens. In Vectric's software, that's a 3D tab. I use them 98% of the time and only do a straight sided tab when there's a need for extreme strength.

I understood and didn’t think you were dissing my decision. I was just clarifying because people may come here to research, so I am careful to clarify things.

Ah, that is a good idea with the tabs. I was wondering why someone would want those versus straight tabs.

The AVID machines are quite capable. I helped my buddy order a few parts from 8020.net to reinforce the exiting structure (extra extrusions, cross-members, gussets, etc.). I think he spent about 300-400 on parts/shipping and it made quite a bit of difference after we stiffened up the base.

I think that's where the steel welded machines have a huge advantage, but it comes at a real cost in $$$ and weight!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    The AVID machines are quite capable. I helped my buddy order a few parts from 8020.net to reinforce the exiting structure (extra extrusions, cross-members, gussets, etc.). I think he spent about 300-400 on parts/shipping and it made quite a bit of difference after we stiffened up the base.

I think that's where the steel welded machines have a huge advantage, but it comes at a real cost in $$$ and weight!
    Michael - if you can, please post some photos of your buddies Avid with the reinforcements installed.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Michael - if you can, please post some photos of your buddies Avid with the reinforcements installed.
    Thanks,
    David
    I'll see if I can get some. If I remember correctly it was 40-series extrusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Burnside View Post
    I'll see if I can get some. If I remember correctly it was 40-series extrusion.
    Thanks! I will look forward to seeing what he came up with.
    David

Remembering ...

I think just the 16 footer ... we had a custom Z axis with 16" ... plus? of travel?

Rapid traverse, with the weight of the spindle way up there was possibly overloading the 'trucks' on the linear guides. I kinda remember seeing a few small ball bearings laying around before I left ...

I think the 4x8 we extended to 12 feet had the v rollers

https://pivotal.aero/

I did the first couple of molds for the fuselage on the 16 footer. It didn't need that much, but we'd extended the wings past the capacity of the original 12 foot machine.

190k ... I'm pretty sure my dad would have sold me his Bonanza for a whole lot less... annual inspections, fuel, tie- down ... and now I'm across the street from the runway in a private airport community. Just hearing them is enough.