Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harvey vs Shop Fox bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Coolidge View Post
    I'm about to modify some mobile bases with this, food for thought. The best mobile bases I have experienced are this design with a mono foot operated wheel in front. When released the machine drops down planted on the front leveling pads and rear wheels.

Attachment 473236

Attachment 473237
    I actually have one of these, as it came as part of a base from Rockler where you have to supply the wooden "beams" that go between each corner. It's a 3-wheel setup, but there's no "feet" on the single wheel side so I wasn't sure how well it would work in this situation.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I actually have one of these, as it came as part of a base from Rockler where you have to supply the wooden "beams" that go between each corner. It's a 3-wheel setup, but there's no "feet" on the single wheel side so I wasn't sure how well it would work in this situation.
    This saw was actually once sold as a Laguna 14 SUV (based on my conversation with a Harvey product manager), it still retains the holes for an axle and 2 threaded holes on the right-end (narrow side) for a bracket to accommodate a johnny bar. Laguna sold a "mobility kit" as an accessory. I am somewhat interest in this option but for now the mobil base is working for me, also I would try reach out to Harvey to see if this is a viable option before purchasing a mobility kit (if one can be found). Then again you could probably make your own.

848258.0.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Braun View Post
    This saw was actually once sold as a Laguna 14 SUV (based on my conversation with a Harvey product manager), it still retains the holes for an axle and 2 threaded holes on the right-end (narrow side) for a bracket to accommodate a johnny bar. Laguna sold a "mobility kit" as an accessory. I am somewhat interest in this option but for now the mobil base is working for me, also I would try reach out to Harvey to see if this is a viable option before purchasing a mobility kit (if one can be found). Then again you could probably make your own.
    Ooh, interesting. That would probably be my preferred route. Is that true for the Alpha band saw, which is a 15", or just the Ambassador, which is a 14"? I'll definitely be emailing Harvey about this one. Thanks.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Ooh, interesting. That would probably be my preferred route. Is that true for the Alpha band saw, which is a 15", or just the Ambassador, which is a 14"? I'll definitely be emailing Harvey about this one. Thanks.
    As far as I know just the 14.

The Harvey is essentially the Laguna SUV which is considered by many to be the best 14 inch bandsaw available (although Laguna no longer markets the SUV). It now has double bearing guides instead of ceramic guides. It is very well built, 350 lbs. in weight, and has very good customer support. If you do any amount of resawing you will appreciate the 3 horse motor as well!
    For an additional $260 it is not even a consideration. Buy the Harvey! (Would suggest you consider buying the fence from the 15 inch Alpha saw. It is $100 more and is 6 inches high as opposed to the 3 inch high fence that comes with the C14). You will LOVE the brake also!

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Powers View Post
    The Harvey is essentially the Laguna SUV which is considered by many to be the best 14 inch bandsaw available (although Laguna no longer markets the SUV). It now has double bearing guides instead of ceramic guides. It is very well built, 350 lbs. in weight, and has very good customer support. If you do any amount of resawing you will appreciate the 3 horse motor as well!
    For an additional $260 it is not even a consideration. Buy the Harvey! (Would suggest you consider buying the fence from the 15 inch Alpha saw. It is $100 more and is 6 inches high as opposed to the 3 inch high fence that comes with the C14). You will LOVE the brake also!
    Is the fence from the Alpha know to fit on the Ambassador? From the pictures the rails look very different; i.e. round vs rectangular.

BTW, my saw shows being delivered on the 15th; about 6 weeks after order.