Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I can't keep the water clean.

'What i mean is the stuff you pour in your car's radiator. You shouldn't mix it with water.. The antifreeze is what you pour in your windshield spray-reservoir.
    I did some tests in the past for heatexchange-conductivity between destilled water and this coolingfluid (this comes in fluorisent green, blue, pink and even orange):
    the difference was less than 2 percent.. I doubt you will notice any difference..

Kees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Soeters View Post
    'What i mean is the stuff you pour in your car's radiator. You shouldn't mix it with water.. The antifreeze is what you pour in your windshield spray-reservoir.
    I did some tests in the past for heatexchange-conductivity between destilled water and this coolingfluid (this comes in fluorisent green, blue, pink and even orange):
    the difference was less than 2 percent.. I doubt you will notice any difference..
    Most engine coolants are meant to be mixed with water in a 1:1 ratio, although some come premixed in the bottle, they are not 100% coolant - and they are commonly labeled "antifreeze". We call the stuff you pour in the windshield spray reservoir "windshield washer fluid".

There are waterless coolants, those contain no water at all, like the Evans stuff I mentioned, but that is not in common usage.
    Last edited by Rich Harman; 03-04-2016 at 8:13 PM.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Oh.. Anyway i bought the blue version as this looked nicer with my blue machine (i couldn't find fluoriscent green so fast and pink??? maybe if i was a girl..)
    I didn't mix it with anything and poured that in the chiller... So maybe it is premixed 1:1 with water but we don't have to mix that here. There is nothing written about water on the package either..

I have never seen Evans here in Holland..

Kees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    the difference was less than 2 percent.. I doubt you will notice any difference.
    Straight radiator fluid (ethylene glycol) has a cooling capacity less than 60% that of straight water at the temperatures a laser will run at. Fluid is used in radiators to lower the freezing point of the mixture, something we don't have to worry about (unless you're storing your laser in a cold garage, which is never a good idea). Pure fluid is pointless... while not necessarily harmful if your cooling system can handle the reduced efficiency, there's no gain (and most definitely a loss) in using straight fluid over a mix with water.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Just out of curiousity. I hear vinegar is a great mild cleaner. Removes soap scum, cleans pots and pans.

Is there any problem you can foresee with running a gallon of vinegar in the water?
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Vinegar is an acid don't know how that would play out in the laser.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Body View Post
    Just out of curiousity. I hear vinegar is a great mild cleaner. Removes soap scum, cleans pots and pans.

Is there any problem you can foresee with running a gallon of vinegar in the water?
    Vinegar cleans scale (hard water deposits)... I hope you don't have any of those in your system (you shouldn't be using hard water).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Vinegar cleans scale (hard water deposits)... I hope you don't have any of those in your system (you shouldn't be using hard water).
    No. I've always used distilled water so there's no scale.
    Jeff Body
    Go-C Graphics

China 50W Laser
    Model # SH-350
    Controller RDC6442
    Vinyl Plotter Graphtec CE600-60
    Software used
    Inkscape, FlexiStarter, VinylMaster 4, RDWorksV8

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Straight radiator fluid (ethylene glycol) has a cooling capacity less than 60%
    Can be that this fluid, i use, is premixed with water.. but there is nothing mentioned on the package that it already contains water, nor that it has to be mixed in a certain ratio with water..

Kees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oh.. Anyway i bought the blue version as this looked nicer with my blue machine (i couldn't find fluoriscent green so fast and pink??? maybe if i was a girl..)
    I didn't mix it with anything and poured that in the chiller... So maybe it is premixed 1:1 with water but we don't have to mix that here. There is nothing written about water on the package either..

I have never seen Evans here in Holland..

Kees
    I'm not sure why you guys are wasting your time debating with a guy who choosing his cooling liquid based on the color. Not exactly a scientific method going on here.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Can be that this fluid, i use, is premixed with water.. but there is nothing mentioned on the package that it already contains water, nor that it has to be mixed in a certain ratio with water..
    It would surprise me to not have water. Can you tell us the product you used?
    Gerber Sabre 408

Blog Entries
    Keith!

For myself.....the color of my antifreeze is of utmost importance!! First of course, I would not want to upset my wife's fashion sensibilities. Not to mention the potential for legal issues with the Susan Koman foundation for usurping their trademark color. Then there is the FengShui considerations of using such a strong color as pink in that corner of the garage. Fengshui consultants are quite expensive you know. I would need to redo the entire garage layout not to create Chi havoc out there. Chi running amok in a space filled with power equipment??? I shudder at the thought. Plus there is the expense and time involved in working that new color into my shop wardrobe with my Carhart wardrobe consultant. This is big stuff Keith!!! OK????

D
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Haha David!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Ofcourse the color is not important.. but they both stand in the store. Same price, The blue one is till -26 degr.Celcius and the pink one till -20degrees... I never had a temperature below +10 degrees in my workplace so even the lowest temperature is not important.. so then, if you have to choose.. And my laser is blue and i don't like pink...

As i live in Holland and most of you reside in the USA, many of the things that are normal and widely available in almost any store, are not know here, and vice-versa.. So i can mention a brand but that won't be available there..

Kees
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As i live in Holland and most of you reside in the USA, many of the things that are normal and widely available in almost any store, are not know here, and vice-versa.. So i can mention a brand but that won't be available there..
    If you don't want to specify the product you used, that's fine. It is strange to me that you will take the time to explain why it won't be helpful to provide the information I asked for, instead of just naming the product. It doesn't matter if the product is available in the USA, we can still use Google and other resources to research it.
    Gerber Sabre 408