Thread: Freud js-102 biscuit jointer electrical woes

Freud js-102 biscuit jointer electrical woes

I have a Freud js-102 biscuit jointer, I have had it for a number of years, but used very very little maybe 20 biscuits cut with it. It's been sitting in its case unused for years. I now have a project it would be great for so I got it out and made some set up cuts , went to buy some biscuits at Lowes and when I get back home ,the tool won't start. I'm not to knowledgeable of electricity but have some mechanical know how. For the life of me I don't know why it will not work,the brushes looked good, it dosent even hum when the power switch is activated,the armature turns freely. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated,thank you .

If you have access to a digital volt meter you could do a continuity check starting at the plug by pressing the switch. If nothing there move to the switch / and lugs on the plug and so forth....

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Check the power cord, might have a break in it.

Quote Originally Posted by John Gomes View Post
    Check the power cord, might have a break in it.
    I have a multimeter and I have power to the switch and then from there I have power to the connections at the armature brushes but that is where I get lost I don't know what to do next other than throw this thing away.

Take the brushes out and clean the armature (you can use a pencil eraser to clean it). Also clean the contact surface on the brushes and then but it back together. See if that makes any difference.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 02-10-2015 at 12:08 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

still no go

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Take the brushes out and clean the armature (you can use a pencil eraser to clean it). Also clean the contact surface on the brushes and then but it back together. See if that makes any difference.

Mike
    Thanks for the suggestion, cleaned the armature and brushes. I have traced the power to the connector to the brushes but that is where I stop. I guess having it sit idle for such a long while wasnt good for it, funny thing though, it worked so well just minutes before it died.

Resolved

Quote Originally Posted by Al Sherred View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, cleaned the armature and brushes. I have traced the power to the connector to the brushes but that is where I stop. I guess having it sit idle for such a long while wasnt good for it, funny thing though, it worked so well just minutes before it died.

Biscuit jointer is working. I sent an email to Freud and a few days later I recieved a reply requesting me to call a toll free number which I did and a very knowledgable fellow told me a story of an issue with Freud biscuit jointers where a crimp on a connector on the field part of the motor, so I searched with my multimeter and found no continunity on 1 side of the field and recrimped the connectors an viola works like a new machine.

Good thing you didn't throw it away!! Glad to hear you got it working. That's a handy machine to have when you need it.

Red
    RED