Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Still standing at the tarmac, looking forward to flying.

You've received some good advice. I agree that the Delta lathe at around $600 would be a good starting place.

If you're serious about the $1000 limit, for the time being forget about a chuck. You do NOT need a chuck to turn bowls. The lathe will come with a faceplate. Use that and glue blocks. Actually a more secure fixing than a 4-jaw chuck. I suggest that you buy a few quality tools instead of cheapies. Forget used tools. They'll probably be poor quality.

With what's left of the $ do yourself a very big a favor and get a lesson in basic woodturning. A good instructor will help you with tool techniques and more, but will also give you knowledgable advice on what tools to get to start out. Woodworking stores such as Woodcraft regularly have lessons available for not much money.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Had no idea that a chuck and jaws were a separate purchase. I'll google "chuck insert" and find out what the heck that is.

The advise you guys are giving me is great!
    Usually, 50mm (2") jaws come with a Nova chuck, but the insert does not ($23). While the G3 chuck you mentioned comes threaded 1" x 8tpi, and will fit the Delta, the model you mentioned does not use an insert, so it will not fit any lathe with a larger spindle. The spindle on the Jet and PM is 1.25". There is a G3 chuck that is not the "D" model (Delta) and it will accept an insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian the chuck is made with a standard thread. The spindles on lathes have threads. Different lathe and chuck manufacturers use different threads. So a chuck insert matches the thread on the chuck with the thread on a specific lathe.
    So obvious, once you explained it.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Brian the chuck is made with a standard thread. The spindles on lathes have threads. Different lathe and chuck manufacturers use different threads. So a chuck insert matches the thread on the chuck with the thread on a specific lathe.
    Welcome to the vortex Brian. Ditto what Ken said but make sure if you have to get the insert separately that it is a Teknatool branded one. We have found that 3rd party ones frequently have run-out issues. Also, you mentioned the Delta/Nova G3, there is no difference in it and a regular Nova G3 except that it is threaded for the 46-460(or any 1"-8tpi) spindle(ie no insert), this makes it not as versatile for upgrading. My recommendation for the lathe is go with the Delta 46-460 and make your own stand as suggested by J. Keaton.

"The best things in life are not things."

Brian, Take a whole bunch of stuff and pile it all on the top of your tablesaw, once you are finished with that, cover your workbench and assembly table (if you have one) make sure you can't see any usable surface (this is very important.) Now take all your hand planes, and hand tools used for flat work... allow a nice layer of sawdust to gently settle all over them. Find a good place for all your hand planes and hand tools, make sure they are visible so you can enjoy them still but still out of the way from any possible turning endeavours (they will be sitting there for a long time, might as well make a permanent display now) If they are all old hand planes, then it's perfect, the sawdust adds to their "patina."

Now step back and look around... proceed directly to your wallet/bank book... look closely at how wonderfully full it is (even if it isn't wonderfully full, enjoy what little is in there) Depending on the tolerance level of your SWAMBO, this must be weighed carefully on a case to case basis, take a look at your warm comfortable spot in bed... look at bank book again... proceed to sofa, make yourself comfortable, it's going to be where you will be spending your "non turning" time. Take a good look at everything! Tablesaws, handplanes, handtools, bank accounts, and a warm comfy bed are never the same again.

Is it all worth it? HECK YEAH!!! Congrats Brian... and welcome to the Vortex! (P.S. it's already too late to turn back... you are already past the event horizon... resistance is futile... Oh and welcome, we are glad to have you, and we have cookies )
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Rick, there seems to be a common theme in these warnings. I think it may already be too late since I am spending the money in my mind already.

Brian,

The Delta 46-460 looks like a pretty nice lathe for the money.

One thing to consider as you think about buying a chuck as already stated by at least one other person. The Nova- SN2 may cost more initially but save you money in the long run should you ever upgrade to a larger lathe. The idiot turners here gave me a Jet lathe and an SN2 chuck when I got pushed into this vortex. When I upgraded to a PM3520B, it was just a matter of a $23 insert and the chuck and all the jaw sets I had purchased were useable on the new much bigger lathe.

Which ever lathe you decided on make sure it has a #2 Morse taper on both the spindle and tailstock. The largest number of accessories come with a #2 morse taper and if you ever upgrade to a larger lathe, those accessories would be transferable.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Brian,

I agree with everything that has been said. Especially what Wally said about not needing a chuck. I find myself using my chuck less and less, a faceplate is much more secure. When you do purchase a lathe, the faceplate that comes with the lathe will not have enough holes. Drill many more. On my mini lathe, the faceplate had four, I drilled six more. Remember, more screws is better than longer. Also, don't use drywall screws, use steel/sheetmetal screws.

OT - I am a Ramsey-ite as well. Great club to be in, seven years debt free.

Mike

Sharpening and Cheap tool set.

I looked up the Wolverine Grinding Jig. Do you recommend Vari-Grind or Vari-Grind 2 with its own base or something else?

I have a couple of couple of comments on the cheap tool set. Having a cheap tool set will give you many different tools for many different cuts and learning. Granted they are not all production quality and the latest Powder Metal technology, but you are only out 40 bucks. And you can learn to sharpen them all. Sharpening is one of the lost and mystical arts of spending money on turning. Make your own wooden gigs, read about sharpening and find something that is repeatable and works for you. A lot of production turners free hand sharpen, the rest of us, use what works. Beware that you could spend your whole $1000 on different sharpening setups. To start with all you really need is a good grinding wheel for your grinder and a good platform, and a homemade setup that acts like a wolverine.

I have a VS Jet 1642 and it was more than 1000 when I bought it used, but it is a great lathe if you can find one. (I also have a 12 inch HF 200 dollar lathe that I started on, it works great as a second lathe. I use it for lots of stuff like pens and small spindle work)

Good Luck,
    Ian
    I create videos on my channel TurningRound on youtube.

So everybody is telling you to get rid of your flat tools, send them to me. I do both, but on the other hand you might like doing segment bowls with a bazzzzziooon pieces and a quadrilllllion angles. Carl

Just for everyone's info, the Harbor Freight HSS sets are now $60 for ash handles, $70 for the red handles.

Get you a 20% discount coupon! I suspect the increase is a part of the exchange rate situation and the cost of steel - along with increased costs of transportation all down the supply line.

The $20 difference isn't a problem. Just letting people know about the price change. And yes, I am looking for the coupon.

Also, for the reconditioned chuck, whenever I get that, is this the correct jaw set?
    http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Chu...-Set-JS20N.htm

and what insert does the 46-460 take?
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 02-29-2012 at 6:58 PM.

First of all, RUN!! Well actually don't. Turning is fun! The Delta has 1x8 threads. I have one and really like it. If you wanna drive out to Alabama I'll sell you my PM 90. Ha ha ha....
    David

Also, for the reconditioned chuck, whenever I get that, is this the correct jaw set?
    http://www.novatoolsusa.com/NOVA-Chu...-Set-JS20N.htm

and what insert does the 46-460 take?
    Brian, I believe the reconditioned chuck will come with 50mm jaws. That means in "expansion mode" the jaws are approx. 2" out to out. For compression, the smallest tenon is about 1.75" or so. They will work for whatever you might turn on the Delta.

What you are looking at are 20mm jaws - or a little over 3/4" in "expansion mode". They come in handy for small things, but in compression mode, they do not have a dovetail interior rim, and do not hold securely enough for anything of substance - certainly not to hold a bowl. I use mine for turning finials. You might want to wait on getting more jaws. Sometimes, you can find them on sale in "packages" of 4 or 5 sizes. Buy the set, and sell off what you don't want. And, occasionally, jaws will come up for sale in the Classified forum. I have bought, traded, and sold several. In fact, I have 2 or 3 extra sets now that I really don't need. But, they may come in handy at times.