Thread: Another workshop question- floor paint

Another workshop question- floor paint

I just had the basement waterproofed with a track system under the slab floor going to a double sump pump. Assuming it works well, which it should for the cost, I am questioning how I should treat the bare concrete floor? I know that there are very expensive two part epoxy paint systems out there (such as Armor Clad) which seem to be wayyy overkill for a home shop. The waterproofing company suggested normal exterior deck paint.
    WHAT TO YOU GUYS THINK?

If I wanted to paint my shop floor, I'd probably use epoxy.

But I don't mind bare concrete. It sweeps up well, and the few stains from spilled glue, oil, paint, etc, just give it character. I doubt epoxy paint will do much to protect damage to dropped tools--for that, I'd go with some kind of wooden floor surface.

If you're just after cosmetics, check your local paint store who caters to painting contractors for a good, durable floor paint.

If the shop area is going to be around for the long haul and you have the ceiling height to spare, I'd think seriously about adding a raised floor. A plywood floor would be a lot easier on your joints, you can make it sturdy enough to support your equipment, and (if you can manage to leave 6" or so of space below it) you can run power and dust collection into the middle area of the shop.

I don't think that option would work... My height is 7 1/2 ft. to the bottom of the ceiling joists. I was hoping to put in a suspended ceiling. Not sure though.. I was going to put matts in the heavily used areas like in front of my work bench, lathe and tablesaw. I was going to put my dust collection pipes up high below the ceiling or down low near the floor. Not sure yet...

Benjamin Moore Floor Paint. Rolls easy and is pretty durable.

Forget the drop ceiling. Put your lights in between the joists just so the lights peek out from the joist. You'll gain 4 inches of head room.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ginsberg View Post
    I don't think that option would work... My height is 7 1/2 ft. to the bottom of the ceiling joists. I was hoping to put in a suspended ceiling. Not sure though.. I was going to put matts in the heavily used areas like in front of my work bench, lathe and tablesaw. I was going to put my dust collection pipes up high below the ceiling or down low near the floor. Not sure yet...
    I've got the opposite problem, my ceilings are so high, I had to rent a scissor lift just to hang the lights and run the wiring to them.

Don,
    Thanks for your thoughts. I was going to use the drop ceiling for several reasons... nicer looking, the acoustic ceiling would make things quiter for my girls upstairs, it would make the shop brighter with the light color. I know I would loose some room, but I figured the benefits would outway the height loss. I am only 5' 10". I planned on leaving a cut out spot for my Oneida cyclone. That will just fit in with an inch or two to spare almost hitting the floor above.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    Benjamin Moore Floor Paint. Rolls easy and is pretty durable.

Forget the drop ceiling. Put your lights in between the joists just so the lights peek out from the joist. You'll gain 4 inches of head room.

+1 on B-M paint. I painted a basement floor in a previous house, very light gray. It brightened the room and made cleaning up saw dust much easier. But before I put anything down, wood or paint, I'd make sure you don't have any moisture migrating through. Concrete is really porous. Good luck.

I am not being a nag about searching just want to point out there are a lot of threads here regarding floor paint/coatings. Enough for a full evening of reading and you can get a lot of opinions. They also cover how to test the concrete for water and you want to be sure you don't have any issues especially before you use any of the higher costs coatings.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 01-06-2012 at 11:30 PM.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

It's in my view definitely worth sealing concrete for ease of cleaning, and to prevent it throwing off dust...

ian

Do like I did: Use epoxy paint. Then build a plywood subfloor over it. After than paint it with an exterior porch/floor paint. Then cover that with 3/8" rubber interlocking tile.

Each step was a huge improvement over the previous situation. With the rubber floor, I'm finally content.

A few years back I worked at a Industrial Tech College, they just used a high quality wax on the concrete floors. They actually cleaned up really well according to the custodians. They later went with an epoxy coating which looked good, but just didn't hold up to the moving of heavy machinery. They were constantly repairing dings and such in the floor. That being said, I just position my cow stall matts by my machines and don't worry about it. I would love 7.5' ceilings too, mine are only 7'.

They are 7 1/2 BEFORE the drop ceiling!! That is part of the problem.. Pros vs. Cons

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    A few years back I worked at a Industrial Tech College, they just used a high quality wax on the concrete floors. They actually cleaned up really well according to the custodians. They later went with an epoxy coating which looked good, but just didn't hold up to the moving of heavy machinery. They were constantly repairing dings and such in the floor. That being said, I just position my cow stall matts by my machines and don't worry about it. I would love 7.5' ceilings too, mine are only 7'.