Thread: Very busy month for me

Very busy month for me

Hey guys, I have been a little out of touch here for a little while. I just had a new son about a month and a half ago and when I am not with the kids I am in the shop which has left little time for anything else to include sleep. I have had a few people send me PM’s asking what I have been up to so I will post a few pics of the stuff that has come out of the shop in the last month. Everything below with the exception of the desk was built in the last 30 days. The desk was finished up just before my son arrived. Also the first piece (the Newport lowboy) was my first piece built entirely with hand tools. I details and additional pictures areposted in the hand tool forum if you are interested.

First up is the Newport lowboy in figured Honduran Mahogany. You will have to excuse the wierd distortion from my camera that makes the top of the photo look bowed. I have fixed the problem now

Next is a slant fron desk that was finished up in Oct.

Next is a tiger maple acorn bed. This piece has a single 18” wide headboard which is really spectatular.

Finally there are two Chippendale chests. These were commissioned by the same person as gifts for their children. The tiger maple chest was made to go with the above bed. The chest that isn’t tiger maple is curly cherry which I used an ageing solution to darken up a little.

Diamanwoodcrafters

I'd say you've been busy. That's a couple years work for me if I was even skilled enough to do it. Spectacular pieces, Dave.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Sweet pieces Dave. The figure in the wood you get always amazes me.
    Beautiful work, as usual.
    And congrats on your new son....

wood candyland . . .

That stuff is gorgeous. Keep it coming!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

Dave,

Awesome work. Still waiting for you to invite me up and show me.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher View Post
    Dave,

Awesome work. Still waiting for you to invite me up and show me.

Keith
    Keith, shoot me a PM and we can figure out a time for you to come by and visit the shop.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Wow - that figure is spectacular! I'd love to get my hands on some wood like that someday.

Dave,
    Are you hyper or what?!? Beautiful work but considering you did it in a month is just spectacular. Very impressive. How about sharing some of your tricks? How did you get all that done in a month. Do you have a CAD program that generates precision cut lists? Did you cut everything at once or was each piece done individually? Bed posts? Did you turn them. What type of lathe do you have? I'm just amazed.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Ed,
    No special tricks, I just try to plan my work flow well so I have no down time. If I am waiting on glue to dry I am working on something else. If I know I have to run a whole bunch of M&T joints for several pieces I try to plan it so I can do them all at once to save set up time. I typically have at least 4 or 5 pieces going at one time and bounce around between them trying to save set up time. It takes a little planning but that is what setting on the crapper if for right

For the piece I built totally with hand tools I basically shut all the power tools down in my shop around 8:30 and would work on it until 1:00 or 2:00 am. Before you ask I keep some really crazy hours and don't get a whole lot of sleep. It is just a sacrifice I have to make to spend time with my kids so it is more than worth it. besides working late is really nice because there are no distractions. You don't have to worry too much about someone knocking on your door at midnight.
    Diamanwoodcrafters

Beyond impressed! Amazing work...
    The impossible straight away, miracles are taking a little longer....

Dave,
    Thanks for the reply. Again, I'm in awe of your work. Keep posting and I wish you the best. You are truly a craftsman.
    "Count your age by friends, Count your life by smiles."

Beautiful work.
    Donny

Dave, as always, I absolutely love your work. I also love the attention to detail on the back of the piece you pictured. Hopefully I can make something that nice one day.
    I'm a Joe of all trades. It's a first, it'll catch on.

If you could bottle up some of your energy and send it my way I'd be grateful!

Nice work and lots of it!

Bret

Wow...very striking work!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...