Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving heavy 15" planer to the basement

Randy, I e-mailed Grizzly and they said thier winter sale starts on 11/1. Tomorrow through the end of December. Not sure what "sale" means in terms of the prices. We'll see.

READ THIS: How strong are your stairs? There may not be much wood left in the planks on the sides of your stairs where the steps are sawn out of them. Look at the stairs carefully. You might want to securely attach some extra 4X4's to the unsupported areas on the stairs. That planer,PLUS 2 or 3 guys is going to weigh what? over 1000# ?

If the stars break and the planer falls on your friends,it's going to be VERY serious,indeed.

I bought my 0490 jointer because their "Summer sale" was ending and then when it ended the jointer was $30 less.

Some "sale".

Blog Entries
    My solution to moving heavy things as been putting together my home gym, and encouraging my friends to join me in working out 3 days a week for the last year.

I have gained 30 lb (150 to 180) and can squat 335lb for 3 sets of 5, bench press 210lb for 3 sets of 5, and deadlift 345lb for 3 sets of 5. My goal is 300,400,500.
    when I hit that I should be able to move just about anything.

All you need is a barbell and some iron. I picked up a bench and weight on CL.

All that being said moving heavy... stuff is why we have friends. call 4 or 5 guys and say ill buy the beers if you move something for me...
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Rocker View Post
    I have moved my 20" jet planer up and down the stairs. I can tell you that @ 700 lbs, there is no way I would attempt it myself. Hire a safe mover, they are used to moving heavy things and have the equipment to do it. It cost me $100 each time I moved it....
    That's what I did with my Jet 20" planer as well.. I found a guy on CL that was a professional mover and did work on the side.. was very reasonable.
    Only cost me $60, but $100 would be worth it too.

I once partially disassembled a different machine to bring it down the stairs.. What a pain. Keeping track of all those pieces and putting it back together. A mover can get it down in 10 minutes, vs hours of disassembling and reassembling.. Oh, and it's still heavy, even partially disassembled

Lol

LOL!!! Definitely setup a good program for weightlifting.

You should be able to find a ton of information searching on this site. This has been posted quite a bit. 600-700lbs is not too bad.

I moved a very heavy combo machine and a few other heavy items in the last 3 months. I would say that each piece of the combo weighed in between 800-1000lbs. Once going down the stairs I could have probably done it myself. Just be creative with a winch system of some type and some careful planning. You can buy winches off of Amazon and other places cheaper than come-a-longs.

I SECOND, THIRD, ... the stairs issue! Don't mess around with the stairs. Just make sure you lay out some sort of weight distribution system (i.e. 2x6's, pipe, etc.) to slide the machine down.

Don't overthink it though. I worried about it for days and when it came down to it my original idea got the beast out of the persons basement I bought it from and down into mine without too much blood, sweat, and tears.

PM me if you want me to send you drawings of the winch system but I think it would be overkill for what you are doing unless you plan on hauling up and down a bunch of pieces of equipment. Friends, moving supplies, and beer should be all you need. Make sure the beer comes after the move. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    What sale and when? I'm looking for the same machine.
    The Christmas sale starts today..yet on the G0453Z... Looks like not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Dreier View Post
    Randy, I e-mailed Grizzly and they said thier winter sale starts on 11/1. Tomorrow through the end of December. Not sure what "sale" means in terms of the prices. We'll see.
    When's this sale going to start? I'm wearing out their web page with my constant checking.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good