Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about some Stinger feedback?

How about some Stinger feedback?

Hey you new Stinger owners....those of us patiently (or not) waiting on our machines would like to hear your early impressions.

Happy with the machine?

What kinds of things have you tried with it?

Problems to report?

For you Cobra gurus who now own a Stinger, how does the little brother compare in performance? Have you tried cutting any files on both machines as a comparison in terms of speed, cut quality, etc? Differences in feed/speed for identical files on both machines?

I am trying to learn everything I can to get ready Gotta make the weeks go by.....

Richard

the machine is an overbuilt piece of quality!! with the r&p on the z it is smooth and fast, in fact i am testing the wincnc and have achieved comparable results in smoothing and configuration and am conveting my direct drive "Z" screw to a 5-1 gearbox to better emulate the stingers performance on the z speed!! they are selling the heck out of the stinger and joey told me today they had a walkin customer buy one yesterday!! there will be some 15 + new owners in the coming weeks and the fellows are ramping up production.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-09-2010 at 9:37 PM.

That's great news, Jim. Glad to hear that Joey and company are selling a lot of machines. We've got to support the rare company in this environment that is willing to build quality and support it and take a chance that people will pay for it. At least that's one of the reasons they have my $$.

Sounds like the Stinger community is going to be growing fast. I hope we can all create a lot of buzz with posts and videos to keep getting the word out if the machine is as fine as you say. Not that you could be doing a better job of that then you already are (you appear to be superhuman or cloned or something). Gotta keep those poor camaster guys working nights and weekends....

Richard

oh i work hard to tick them off!!

Hello,
    My CAMaster Stinger has arrived in the local depot, I am heading out there now to pick it up. I will be picking up a new dedicated computer tomorrow, it was meant to be ready today.

I will post pictures soon

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Mick, are you getting a NEW computer or an oder one? You installing a parallel port card or does it have one on the motherboard.

Also what is the travel of the Z on the stinger? Would it be possible to hook a 4th axis up for doing some spindle work?

Mikie
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Aslo an important question: What operating system are you getting on the PC? Mach3/parallel port and 64bit Windows 7 is a no go.

Dennis
    O'Brien Truckers Automotive Aluminum Sand Castings
    Stinger SN 001
    Corel X5, Aspire, PhotoVCarve, Cut3D

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis OBrien View Post
    Aslo an important question: What operating system are you getting on the PC? Mach3/parallel port and 64bit Windows 7 is a no go.

Dennis
    Dennis I have been telling this to folks I talk to. I am designing some things for the IWF and will get back to the Good stuff "Stinger how to vids" soon. The package went out today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick A Martin View Post
    Hello,
    My CAMaster Stinger has arrived in the local depot, I am heading out there now to pick it up. I will be picking up a new dedicated computer tomorrow, it was meant to be ready today.

I will post pictures soon

Mick
    Mick I would love to see those pics of the new 300lb baby on the changing table.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Link View Post
    That's great news, Jim. Glad to hear that Joey and company are selling a lot of machines. We've got to support the rare company in this environment that is willing to build quality and support it and take a chance that people will pay for it. At least that's one of the reasons they have my $$.

Sounds like the Stinger community is going to be growing fast. I hope we can all create a lot of buzz with posts and videos to keep getting the word out if the machine is as fine as you say. Not that you could be doing a better job of that then you already are (you appear to be superhuman or cloned or something). Gotta keep those poor camaster guys working nights and weekends....

Richard
    Richard I will be back there at 8 in the morn.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Mike,

From my understanding, the Z on the stinger is 5". I would imagine the true usable Z might be a bit smaller depending on what you've got on the table. CAMaster offers a recoil lathe option so 4th axis is a go.

With respect to operating system, I don't see a good reason to go windows 7 64 bit and run mach3 (even if it worked). As I understand it, a mach3 machine is better used as a stand alone machine-controlling entity. That is why the company can get away with providing a refurbished pentium 4 machine as the control computer since the cpu, memory and graphics requirements must be pretty minimal to just drive the router. In that role as a cnc driver, accessing more than 2 gb of memory and running 64 bit native applications would be of little use (hence no need for 64bit win7). If you want a powerful computer to multitask on while running cutting operations, seems like investing in WinCNC is the safer way to go.

I decided to stick with the basic computer and mach3 for my setup simply because that machine will be a dedicated mach3 machine. No need to expose a more costly CPU to the adverse environment of the shop. I have a separate home built design and surfing computer with win7 64 bit, 8 gig of ram, yada yada....

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard View Post
    Richard I will be back there at 8 in the morn.
    Lol. Sounds like, from what Jim said, that there is a lot of welding and crating going on over there (weekends included). You can't just open Pandora's box, man, and not take it on the chin.

I did neglect to mention that I also want to see you guys retire to the south of France or something with all your stinger "profits" from enhanced sales....although somehow I doubt that's the way these things work.

Keeping the faith, Joey. Go yellow!

Richard

Richard,
    Windows 7 is not a problem but I have only heard of bad things when trying a 64 bit system. I do know that WinCNC has spent a good bit of $$ to get 64 bit complient. just staying ahead of the curve. All will have to do it some day.

We may see the thug on the corner pushing 32 bit PC's one day.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Ok the stinger is finally in my workshop. I plan on using windows XP pro unless I hear from Joey otherwise. I received the WINCNC PCI card along with the WINCNC manual which I have to install into my new computer.

Originally Posted by Joey Jarrard

Mick I would love to see those pics of the new 300lb baby on the changing table.
    I don't have the changing table completely ready yet, but here are some pictures

Once I get up and running I will take more pictures.

Mick
    Hardware:
    CAMaster 508 ATC + Recoil
    2013 Trotec Speedy 100, 60 watt, rotary attachment, vector grid.
    Software:
    CoralDraw - Aspire 9 - EnRoute

Custom Architectural Signage
    Mick Martin Woodworking

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis OBrien View Post

Dennis

This is the main reason I ordered the optional pre-configured PC. When you're itching to make sawdust, the last thing you want to be doing is screwing with software install issues. Speaking for myself, at least...I get enough of that at my day job...

Mick you look good in yellow man.
    Joey Jarrard
    US Router Tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Package View Post
    This is the main reason I ordered the optional pre-configured PC. When you're itching to make sawdust, the last thing you want to be doing is screwing with software install issues. Speaking for myself, at least...I get enough of that at my day job...
    Agreed. There is nothing worse the getting a new tool and having to spend a few extra days getting something that you could have gotten right from the company in the beginning.

Out of the box and ready to go is the best way to go!
    Thinking outside the box is one thing, being able to accomplish what you think of, is another.

Software Rhino 3.0 & 4.0, Corel 12, Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator, Parts Wizard, Visual Mill 5.0 & 6.0, Rhino CAM/Art, Claytools, Microsoft Word, Notepad.
    Access to Hardware CAMaster 510 ATC w/4th Axis 8' Lathe, Kitako 10 Spindle CNC 4th Axis Carving Machine, Polhemus FastScan and LDI Surveyor 3500 Laser Scanners, Sensable Haptics.