Thread: CNC and studio furniture

CNC and studio furniture

here is a sideboard that I designed and built, and cut mostly using my Shopbot.

This sideboard measures roughly 15" deep, and 79" wide. Wood is walnut, and locally cut Vermont Ash. Finish is tongue and danish oil. The legs are glued up from 17 laminations each, and the aprons are joined with through mortise and tenon joints.
    Everything other than the table top was cut on the Shopbot. I did use a hollow chisel mortiser for the through mortises, and I cut the opposing cheeks for the tenon's with a hand held router.

The edges were sculpted/relived by hand instead of just softening the edges with a round-over bit.

The table took me roughly 2 weeks to design and complete.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Very nice work I like the contrasting wood color.

excellent work, if you post this stuff in the gallery (work we produce) it will be better archived, on the regular thread it eventually begins to climb down the post

again nice work!!

jim

Nice! What kind of "studio?"
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3

Did you cut the leg laminations before glue up or mill the curve after entire leg glue up?

Table is unique and awesome.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Stram View Post
    Did you cut the leg laminations before glue up or mill the curve after entire leg glue up?

Table is unique and awesome.

Steve.
    The leg laminations were cut to the curved profile before glue up. I was able to nest 2 from a 5"x48" blank. The waste was pretty minimal overall.

The inner laminations for the blank were glued up in two sections. I then glued the two sections together and sanded the laminations smooth. I cut the joinery in the four outer face laminations and then glued those on last.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Savage
    Nice! What kind of "studio?"
    Studio furniture refers to the modern artistic style of furniture designed and produced by independent furniture makers.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post

Studio furniture refers to the modern artistic style of furniture designed and produced by independent furniture makers.
    Aha! Well, in my world it usually means recording studio. That style would certainly look good in a recording studio.
    CAMaster CR-408 Cobra X3