Quote Originally Posted by Brad Barnhart View Post
My mother just had her right knee done the end of July, & healing has been a slow process for her.
Kind of off the subject a little, but, I drove OTR 35 years. In 2009, I came in off the road w/flu like symptoms. Body aches, head ache, etc. but the pain was gettin' worse all the time. When I parked the truck in our yard in hoxie, Ks., & the mechanic & the owner of the truck seen the shape I was in, they got my clothes bag & paper work out of the truck for me, got me in my pick up, & headed me home. Normally it's about an hour & 15 minute drive home. It took me over 3 hours bcause of the pain & bein' sleepy. my bride had the law lookin' for me, the boss had the law lookin' for me. When I finally got here to the house, I didn't know my wife, our dogs, nothin'! The last thing I remembered was parkin' my truck in the yard, talkin' to the boss. I kept askin' my wife what she done with my truck. I couldn't see the runnin' lights, or hear it runnin'. Couldn't smell diesel smoke from it or the reefer cyclin' on the trailer! I was lost! My wife took me to the ER, & by that time I was nearly unconscious. They toted me into the ER, run my vitals, & the Sawbones on duty decided to do epidurals in my back for pain, instead of IV. She stuck me 4x & missed everytime. So she ended up w/IV & morphine in my left arm. The testing began. They tested me for everything they could think of. It finally came back I had viral meningitis. I laid in that hospital for 8 months. Lost the use of both legs, & partial use of my left arm. With tons of therapy, I had to learn to walk again, & build the strength in my left arm.

This lead to two major back surgeries, about a year of therapy, & the news of 3 more back surgeries to go. I spent a lot of time healin', & tryin' to walk & move on my own. Big mistake. I'm able to walk & get around on my own now, but have severe limitations. No longer able to work, so I spend my time in the wood shop til the pain gets to me.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread, but the point I'm tryin' to make is, let your body do it's work during your healing process. You'll heal faster, & more efficiently. Mind what your Sawbones says, & heed every word. They've got the education. My apologies for the length. Get back on your feet soon!
Dang, Brad-what an ordeal!

Fortunately, such a tragedy has never been visited upon me.

As far as my knee goes, I started my regular home program in earnest yesterday. Takes 55 minutes in our bonus room. Along w the PT's regimen, I do the exercise bike; started w 6 minutes, and add a minute every day.

My flexion is good.

The PT that I have is very good. I mean she is great.

Maria (PT) and I started about a year ago-before surgery, trying to get through this w/o procedure.

I told her then---I am not going to be the guy that, when I leave, you all laugh and say "Can you believe he came here (to Physical Therapy) to do stuff that he coulda done @ home?!"

So, when I show up, have already done all the stretching, exercising, rolling, etc....So, then, we get into the advanced stuff. Including the soft tissue massage--man, that feels sooo good.

All is well; supposed to resume my role in Society Oct 2 (my job).

Currently am doing some carving, and looking over a buncha jigs trying to decide on one to make.