We have a Honda i2000 (2000 watt, inverter) generator. We live in a townhouse so the generator MUST be quiet. This is enough to run the gas water heater, gas furnace, and refrigerator, plus maybe a television. I have to cook on the propane grill, or do some unplugging and use the microwave (small microwave). We got through the ice storm about 8 years ago this way. If I had some (about $1200) spare cash I would buy the parallel mate to my generator and just feed the panel. This would give me the full use (though not at the same time) of all my 120 volt circuits. This would mean no ac or dryer, but very doable. And just like Ole Andersons picture, the interlock switch is a must. Us electricians seem to think we wouldn't make the classic home owners mistake of forgetting to unplug the generator when the power comes back on. One of my best friends is also an electrician, and during the same ice storm he backfed his generator into the panel without an interlock switch. On Saturday night he and his wife had a wedding to go to, so he gave his adult son the instructions on what to do if the power came back on. Turn the generator off. Unplug the generator. Turn the main breaker on. Of course the power came back on, and his son turned the generator off, and turned the main breaker on, forgetting to unplug it. Generator still runs like a Swiss watch, but she don't make electricity no more LOL. I'm hoping none of our generators are gonna be needed in the next couple of weeks.