Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veritas shooting board fence

Veritas shooting board fence

Just saw a picture of the new Veritas shooting board fence. Looks like it would really help make a multifunctional shooting board. Any thoughts on this?

Yes, if you do a lot of angles. But all I do is 90* and 45*. So I made my own board and miter fixture like the one shown on LN's site. Link. (The plan is at the bottom where it says "Click here to download plans to make your own shooting board.")

It also occurred to me that an old Miter Gauge I have could be called into service to work like the new LV shooting board fence.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have the shooting plane. The miter depends your usage. The maximum stock thickness would be 3/4 inch.

Blog Entries
    It is a sweet looking item and I am sure it is built to a high standard of quality. I would have to need to shoot a much wider variety of angles than I currently do to get good use of it. If I found myself having to constantly come up with ways of shooting a variety of angles I would drop the money in a heartbeat. The savings in time would pay for that quickly . . . if I had that need.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    It also occurred to me that an old Miter Gauge I have could be called into service to work like the new LV shooting board fence.
    Might work for light work, but it might not be able to stand up to a lot of impact without affecting the setting.

A feature of the Veritas® Shooting Board Fence is by being in the middle of the deck it is set for both right and left hand use with one setting on the most commonly used 45º shooting angle. At other angles it would be set for complementary angles, two angles that add up to 90º.

Derek Cohen has an adjustable fence shooting board on his inthewoodshop.com site.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    It is an answer to prayers. Okay, maybe not quite that, but I was designing something that could be set at various angles. This is pretty much what I had in mind, only slightly smaller. Mine was a huge fence on a 24" square board. I think this is just fine. I was thinking of long boards, and mine had hold-downs but I do believe I suffered from overthink. I'm now just debating over the fence or just get the whole shooting board and spend time making stuff instead of making another shooting board.

I’m in the same place, Malcolm. It’s currently sitting in my shopping cart.

I checked it out at the store when I went to pick up the pocket plane. It feels quite solid and well made. I wouldn't worry about it losing its setting, especially since it indents every 10 degrees (or could've been 5, I didn't spend too much time with it). I have an extra miter gauge from my table saw that I was planning to incorporate into a shooting board, but it has me thinking about whether this might be better.

Blog Entries
    I really like this shooting grip... http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...42&cat=51&ap=1
    I just can't figure one thing out- they say it can be used on the jack rabbet plane. Seems a rabbet plane would not work on a shooting board. There would be no edge beside the blade to register to the board and it would just keep cutting into the shooting board. Am I missing something? Still a great add-on for their other planes. Maybe you could use it on the rabbet plane for some function other than shooting. I use my Veritas Jack Rabbet for chamfering edges and for making ship laps.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    There would be no edge beside the blade to register to the board and it would just keep cutting into the shooting board. Am I missing something?
    Assuming the blade was flush with the body and the scoring spurs were retracted, maybe it will work? Worth a try though and that shooting grip looks dead sexy. This seems like a cool way to shoot left if you already own a right shooting plane.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I really like this shooting grip... http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...42&cat=51&ap=1
    I just can't figure one thing out- they say it can be used on the jack rabbet plane. Seems a rabbet plane would not work on a shooting board. There would be no edge beside the blade to register to the board and it would just keep cutting into the shooting board. Am I missing something? ....
    Well Malcolm, if it can't be done, someone forgot to tell me

Taken from my review of the Jack Rabbet Plane ...

Simply add a wooden base to the plane. Fortunately there are handy bolt holes (for the fence arms) just in the right position. If you want to do the same, the threads are 10-32.

Used on my shooting board, which has a “running fence or side fenceala the Stanley #52 chute board, it is an advantage to rotate the handles into a copy of the Stanley #51 shooting plane. Used this way, the Jack Rabbet is easy to push and performs very well. The cutting angle here is 40 degrees (15 degree bed + 25 degree bevel). Below the shavings of Jarrah end grain …

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Well Malcolm, if it can't be done, someone forgot to tell me

Taken from my review of the Jack Rabbet Plane ...

Simply add a wooden base to the plane. Fortunately there are handy bolt holes (for the fence arms) just in the right position. If you want to do the same, the threads are 10-32.

Used on my shooting board, which has a “running fence or side fenceala the Stanley #52 chute board, it is an advantage to rotate the handles into a copy of the Stanley #51 shooting plane. Used this way, the Jack Rabbet is easy to push and performs very well. The cutting angle here is 40 degrees (15 degree bed + 25 degree bevel). Below the shavings of Jarrah end grain …

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I am curious can the bolts take the slamming at the end grain? That part worries me. Shooting end grain is not a gentle activity.

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I am curious can the bolts take the slamming at the end grain? That part worries me. Shooting end grain is not a gentle activity.
    John, shooting should never be hard work. It should be light and easy. If you are slamming, then you are doing it the hard way.

If your blade is sharp, and the depth of cut is appropriate - that is, a thin shaving, since one does not take more than this when shooting end grain - it should be possible to line the blade's edge up with the work piece, and then since push it through to the other side. No run up. No slamming.

In any event, there is no stress on the bolts, themselves. They are not involved - simply attaching the base to the body. If there is stress, it would be with the base of the handle.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John, I won’t speak for Derek, but I don’t find end grain shooting to be aggressive, or slamming. A sharp iron and thin setting is more like a nice slicing. I have a similar set up as Derek (a side fence) and there is no movement or undo stress on the fence.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 08-26-2018 at 8:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    Derek, that is a great idea. I already have the Veritas shooting plane, but that idea makes the Jack rabbet an even better value for someone that needs a shooting plane. Add the new grip and it is perfect.