Thread: Bitcoin?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    Considered it about a year ago and in fact joined an exchange. Watched it for a few days and decided not to get any. Because of volitility and the fact it really represents nothing of any value except to drug dealers, gun dealers, kidnappers, slavers and other criminals to operate internationally totally transparent to any government knowledge or ability to track.
    Those enterprises don't accept cash? They didn't exist prior to bitcoin? Huh.

There sure are a lot of very strong opinions in this thread from people who appear to lack even a cursory understanding of what they're having an opinion about...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Those enterprises don't accept cash? They didn't exist prior to bitcoin? Huh.

There sure are a lot of very strong opinions in this thread from people who appear to lack even a cursory understanding of what they're having an opinion about...
    Of course they did Dan. I didn't imply otherwise. It's just another level of protection for criminal elements. Everything I have read seems to indicate it is a useful tool for criminal activity in that it allows instantaneous, anonymous conversion to legitimate currencies. Agreed, I'm not an expert on cyber currencies.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

The website of the computer hardware seller NewEgg says that NewEgg accepts bitcoins.

Is there anyone on the forum that deals with international trade? How expensive or risky is it to do business involving currencies from several nations? Bitcoins would by-pass the process of currency exchange.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Tashiro View Post
    The website of the computer hardware seller NewEgg says that NewEgg accepts bitcoins.

Is there anyone on the forum that deals with international trade? How expensive or risky is it to do business involving currencies from several nations? Bitcoins would by-pass the process of currency exchange.
    NewEgg and others accept bitcoin but they don't hold it for speculation. The bitcoin trades of both buyer and seller occurs almost simultaneously. IMHO bitcoin is far more speculative than international currency trading which has some basis of judgement for value,ie perceived government stability and monetary policies, I don't see how it would bypass international currency exchange rates. If you buy $100 worth of Euros, you've now introduced two flucuating variables rather than one. You might win or you might lose. From what I've observed bitcoin varies a LOT more than currencies which do fluctuate constantly but usually by small percentages over short time intervals. Perhaps I'm over simplifying your question or misunderstood. I've speculated on a few things over the years. Some successfully and some not. None were done using actual knowledge or much research or cost more than I could afford to lose. My financial investment advice is worth exactly what Ive been paid for it .
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Why I'll never invest in Bitcoin

I just heard that since bitcoin was introduced it has had declines of 80% five times, a little too much for this index investor
    Dennis