Thread: Anyone using Lee Valley's LED strips? How bright per meter compared to 60W bulb?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies. I bought a cheap strip light on eBay- the low-dollar kind that your mother warned you about- for my existing shop, just to play around with. Although a few led's burned out, as I was warned the low-buck kind would, they were so bright that I sometimes only use them and don't need to turn on the overhead light if just doing a quick task or grabbing a tool. They were a "trial run" that I literally just stuck to the underside of a shelf before I spent big bucks on a more quality set. They are 60/m, so I figured the 120, by sheer math, would be twice as bright. That would put them in the same range of brightness as a 60w bulb per meter. I would also have task lighting under cabinets and three large hanging lights that you may have seen in my "shop lighting score" thread. I like the strip lights because they throw out even light without the hot spots of a bulb type light, and they would blend right in with the wainscot ceiling. I would probably get the surface mount channel, but I am considering the one that you route in a groove for a nice clean and flush look, run parallel to the bead of the wainscoting. The house is full of windows and on the south side has French doors, and during the day would only need accent lighting. Obviously at night that's not the case. I would get the wireless dimmer switch to save energy during the day.

As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. I'm keeping my mind busy planning out lighting and outlets.

Blog Entries
    I decided to get an 8' strip and the surface mount channels with opal diffuser as a test before going with 32' of it. I can use it in my current shop and if I get the new shop there will be plenty of places for it even if I do not go with this system in the ceiling.