Thread: Building a J-Class Sailboat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Julie,not being familiar with this class of sailboat,is there another layer of planking going over the diagonal one? By the way,the word is "reversible" amongst the museum weenies ( The conservation techs).

Vinegar is good for getting hide glue loose. But,it sounds like you need to resort to a chisel to remove the offending planks. But,remember vinegar , if you ever have to loosen an acoustic guitar neck. Vinegar and steam. You have to drill a small hole down each side of the neck dovetail, and insert a steam pipe made of model airplane brass tubing. Inject vinegar first and re supply it for a few days. Then steam. There are different ways to remove necks. I made my steam "boiler" from a 1 gallon size powder holder from a tank gun (as in war!). Apparently some do not use FIXED shells (those with brass casings), and the powder is loaded separately. I'm not sure how that works. I had thought that only larger caliber cannon aboard ships used separate powder in bags. Anyway, I sit it on a hot plate. It has a thick,black rubber hose with a brass nozzle I turned on a lathe. I only had one powder can,though. They are VERY heavy duty!! And GREAT for storing things.
    Last edited by george wilson; 09-23-2016 at 9:37 AM.