Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I recently bought a HF 2hp DC. While researching it online I found through Google several lists of "Harbor Freight Gems" that listed tools/machinery that folks have found to be worthwhile purchases. They didn't imply that a piece of HF equipment was equivalent to a much more expensive mfr...but that some of their units are worthwhile for the occasional hobbyist on a budget. Several of the lists also include items from HF to avoid.

Thanks Britt

I checked out a couple of the Gems sites and they helped. Actually I found all of the items I am looking at on the lists. And surprisingly, they had all received favorable reviews. I'm anxious to get to the store and see them for myself.

At these prices, I can afford to equip my shop much better than I would otherwise be able to for some time. I figure I can upgrade in the future when I deem it time, from both a need and an economic standing. I hope they look as good as they sound.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Stew,

I followed the same path you are thinking back in the 90's. For those who remember WoodWorkers Warehouse, I had the HQ in the next town over and outfitted my shop. Harbor Freight has Central Machinery, WW Warehouse had Relient.

Think like you, I could get the house brand and setup my shop on a budget. I got the 6 inch jointer and 14 inch bandsaw. I still have both and have fixed up the jointer and will fix up the BS.

While the jointer was a pretty good value I had to order new set screws to replace the ones in the cutterhead since they stripped quickly when I had to replace the blades. The BS will need the bearings replaced and it probably has 20 hours on it total.

The moral of the story is that the tools are ok for time to time use, but for precision work I'd spend a bit more and buy higher quality tools that will last longer and perform better.

Save a bit more money and buy something better. Craftsman or Grizzly offer a better bang for your buck.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/sear...?query=jointer

Theres a few in your area... I would try a few of them, someone might still have it... there was a 4" for $75 and a Jet 6" for $350

Reminds me of a friend's comment after purchasing a HF drill, "Well, it worked once!" I still get a chuckle out of that one.
    Randy

By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    By the way, look around and see if you have any recent Popular Science or Scientific American magazines, and maybe a few others. They have been including a 20% coupon off on anything, including sales items. Anything attractively priced is even better looking at 20% off.
    Floyd, here is a link to the coupon. I'm attaching another link that has several individual coupons.

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/html...mages/20_c.jpg

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...9&keycode=0000

By the way, I spoke with the manager at my local store and he said that the coupons are valid even for items that are on sale and, while you can only use one coupon per item, you can print multiple coupons and use one for each item you purchase as long as you ring-up each item separately.
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 05-28-2010 at 9:55 AM. Reason: Forgot to insert the links
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    You NEVER know what you are getting cheap. Years ago,some Chinese outfit was using USED ball bearings in their drill presses. Untold amounts of scams might be within your cheap item.

In a way,you can't really blame the Chinese. The basic problem is that Americans want stuff so dirt cheap that they have to work for next to nothing. They have to scrounge anything they can to make do.

Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Wachala Jr View Post
    Yes, I can blame the Chinese for producing sub-par products.
    As long as people buy those sub-par products someone will produce them.

Palos Hills, IL (southwestern suburb of Chicago)

What I buy from Harbor freight . . .

I buy hand tools and wrenches that I don't have, but need to use about once a year. I bought a tow strap that broke the first time I tried to pull my riding mower out of the wet ditch--the strap was rated for 4500 lbs, my rider is no where near that heavy. I will try to return it, but will not buy another one. I have bought casters for things that I probably won't move but once or twice a year. I did buy some small jorg style clamps that have worked okay so far. I was not satified with the sand paper quality.
    I did buy a packet of beef jerky there one time--it was satisfactory.

There is some stuff at Harbor Freight that is truly junk, but there is at Sears and Home Depot, too.

A lot of their stuff is produced in the same factory as some of the more name brand tools. Their little metal working lathe, for instance. Their big roller bearing US General tool chests are a screaming bargain, especially on sale. They sell Norton abrasives alongside their house brand at my local store, and they are cheaper there than at the borg. Their welding wire is made in Italy, and their grinding wheels are made in Russia, while most of the other locally available stuff is Chinese.

Most of the tools that I have bought there are good enough. Some of them are crap. The biscuit jointer is a mixed bag- it works fine, but the fence and alignment features are junk. All the drills I have gotten there are fine. The variable speed Sawzall tool has been fantastic. I've dropped it off of several ladders, left it out in the rain, and had it bind the blade up so bad with drywall dust that it made horrible grinding noises, but it is still going strong after 5 years.

When I need a tool that I'm going to enjoy using, I shop around. When I need something to finish a project, like a close quarter right angle drill, I go to Harbor Freight.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    Wood Magazine also has these coupons. I normally use them with purchases.

What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    What do I need a warranty for? I had to chip away my old front step. BIG job to do by hand. I went to Harbor Freight and bought an air chisel. It was $10. It seems to be doing fine, but if it never worked again I got my money's worth. I'll toss it and buy another one if I ever need one again.

I wouldn't, however, buy ANYTHING from harbor freight that I expected to use on a daily basis. My experience with them is that they're great for that oddball tool that you're going to use a few times, but the quality of most of their stuff is SOOO poor that you'll rarely be happy in the long run. They do have some gems, though. Some of their higher end lathe/mills are actually pretty nice.
    Same with the Angle Grinder... its works extremely well for the price.... although, it gets very hot(I can feel it through a Police issue, kevlar palmed glove(search gloves.... made so syringes cannot stick ya.) But I can't argue.... I got the sucker for $10.... if it dies, and I need one... ill just get another.... I can go through ten of them before I have amounted to the cost of a DeWalt, and about ten of them/twenty of them(not sure the exact price) before I reach the cost of a Metabo......

But as I have said... other things like that, are junk... I saw a table saw while I was there... the thing had a table that looked to use a hard plastic.... I wonder what else uses plastic in it...*imagines*: the arbor, the trunions, even the blade*Imagines*