Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two band saws in one shop?

Blog Entries

two band saws in one shop?

Hi!
    Thanks again for the recent assistance in tuning my Grizzly G0555 band saw. I learned a lot and the tool is running great again.

As luck would have it, I think I may have stumbled upon a good deal, and am considering adding a second band saw to the shop.

My neighbor is that guy that always finds himself in the possession of tools, shop cabinets, parts etc. This time it was a freestanding Shopsmith 11" 505641 model that he has agreed to sell to me for $40. It's spotless, runs smoothly, and comes with about a dozen (seemingly still sharp) blades. I couldn't find any missing parts, and maybe just need to tune it up, perhaps replace the tires. Plus, I just need a dolly to move it from his house across the street to mine.

Questions:
    1) Decent deal?

2) My quick research shows that these saws are pretty well-regarded by many... yes?

3) With the two band saws in a smallish shop like mine (about 20 x 20), do you have any recommendations on how I use them in my shop workflow? (first brainstorm was to set one up for light-duty re-sawing and straight cuts on thicker material, leaving the other for curve cuts... which for which?)

Thanks!

Bob R.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Sounds like a really good deal to me. I'd keep a small ⅛" - ¼" on the SS for cutting curves and put a ½" on the Grizzly for heavier ripping and light resawing. I have 2 bandsaws also and love not having to change back and forth.

I got a second bandsaw last year, and now that I have had two I wouldn't want to go back. Building musical instruments is my livelihood, so I am often making just one or two cuts at a time. I have an 18" saw with a 1/2" blade for ripping, resawing and crosscut work with a miter gauge, and larger curves. Now I also have a 10" saw with a 1/4" blade for tighter turns. For instance when I cut out the pieces for a banjo neck I make all of the cuts on the big saw except for the tight curve at the heel, and I used to carve out a wider channel with the big saw and make the turn that way but now I just turn off the big saw, walk over to the little one and make that 3" long cut and walk back before the big saw has even stopped spinning, and I get a much cleaner cut now too.
    Zach

My take: over the years, I have come across/been offered very good deals on tools and machines. Could not take advantage because of space limitations.

As I did, ask yourself: how much space will it take up when not in use? Can really I afford to loose that space in the shop, or will it just get in the way? How often will it be used and will its usage justify giving up shop space?
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 11-25-2019 at 2:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    All comments above are helpful, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    My take: over the years, I have come across/been offered very good deals on tools and machines. Could not take advantage because of space limitations.

As I did, ask yourself: how much space will it take up when not in use? Can really I afford to loose that space in the shop, or will it just get in the way? How often will it be used and will its usage justify giving up shop space?

My thoughts are... I don't know the answers to how much I'll use the extra setup yet. But at $40, if I change my mind it should be pretty easy to undo the decision, and I think there are a few spots the machine can live without hurting my shop space in the meantime.
    - Bob R.

$40, a machine that works well, that you can pick up and place in the back of your truck without equipment or help? I’d buy it.

Sounds like a no brainer if you have the space, a dozen usable blades are probably worth 3 times what you are paying for the saw.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riefer View Post
    My thoughts are... I don't know the answers to how much I'll use the extra setup yet. But at $40, if I change my mind it should be pretty easy to undo the decision, and I think there are a few spots the machine can live without hurting my shop space in the meantime.
    I'm sure the inappropriate situation exists but, I make enough use of 2 bandsaws to where I would recommend having them to anyone who asked. I sold my small bandsaw when I bought my larger saw. I last about 2 weeks and then went out and bought another small bandsaw. Learn from our mistakes. For $40, go for it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Some decisions in life are easy. This strikes me as one of those easy ones. At $40 & the stated condition & blades, you should not loose any money if you decide in the future that it is not for you. +1 on Zachary's suggestion.

I have four, and think that's close to the right number.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I have four, and think that's close to the right number.
    Agreed! Currently, 5 reside in my shop (including the horizontal metal cutting) but am about to put the wood cutting Milwalkee/Delta 14" for sale on CL.

I have a small old Delta 10" bandsaw that I keep a 1/4" blade on for small stuff and curves. I also have a 18" MiniMax that I keep a 1/2" blade on for straight cuts. Works for me as a hobbyist. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Charles View Post
    Agreed! Currently, 5 reside in my shop (including the horizontal metal cutting) but am about to put the wood cutting Milwalkee/Delta 14" for sale on CL.
    I didn't count metal cutting ones. They aren't in the same shop.

While you are deciding a no brainer, your other neighbor may be taking it home.

I have lost good deals like this before. Don't let it become a head slapper, unless you enjoy telling friends about 'the one that got away'.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    (he already has my $$ and we agreed I can bring it home in a couple days when my shop is back in order after the tornado-like table saw repairs I'm working on)
    - Bob R.