Thread: Hock Spokeshave iron

Blog Entries

Hock Spokeshave iron

I purchased Hock spokeshave irons to replace the original in my Stanley spokeshaves. The new irons are considerable longer and as a result the adjusting screws are a little short even at maximum extension.

I'm having difficulty adjusting the cut of the tool. Thoughts? Should I shorten the irons and regind/hone them?

The only problem I had was the mouth was not big enough to hold the thickness of the Hock iron. A bit of file work and all was well. Why is length a problem? Phil
    Philip

Blog Entries
    The problem is is too long and will protrude too much beyond the mouth opening. If Itry to set itwith the adjustment knobs at the highest point they close to completely unthreading form the rod which holds them . I hope this is clear.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lawrence View Post
    The problem is is too long and will protrude too much beyond the mouth opening. If Itry to set itwith the adjustment knobs at the highest point they close to completely unthreading form the rod which holds them . I hope this is clear.
    Hi Mark

you are talking about a #151, aren't you?

Sometimes the threads can be unscrewed. The threads don't have to be fully screwed into the body.

Hope that helpes.

Cheers Pedder

Another option, though not the most desirable in my opinion, would be to grind it back until it's the proper length. Kind of a pain. Probably be easier to get in touch with Ron Hock about it. He's great to work with.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedder Broockmann View Post
    Hi Mark

you are talking about a #151, aren't you?

Sometimes the threads can be unscrewed. The threads don't have to be fully screwed into the body.

Hope that helpes.

Cheers Pedder

Pedder,
    I'm not 100% sure if they (2) are #151. I bought them about 15 years ago. They are silver in color with a red chip breaker. They are Stanley's and made in England.

I tried backing out the screws a litlle, but its' still close. It doesn't seem right to have to do this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey Gooding View Post
    Another option, though not the most desirable in my opinion, would be to grind it back until it's the proper length. Kind of a pain. Probably be easier to get in touch with Ron Hock about it. He's great to work with.

Yes Casey. I was thinking of regrinding the blade, ie, shortening it. The Ron Hock idea might be worth trying. Thanks for the idea.

I don't know what the threading on the adjusting rods are. Maybe 10-24 or 10-32? If it is a common thread, maybe you can replace them with a longer piece of all-thread, or if you don't have all-thread, then a long bolt with the head and un-threaded section cut away.

Again, I'm not sure what the threading on these is, or if it has stayed the same for the #151 over the years.

-Jeff