Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official I moved from woodworking hobbyist to tool addict

It's official I moved from woodworking hobbyist to tool addict

I realized today I have three routers in my shop. Crossed the line! Brian

Three routers doesn't necessarily make you a tool addict. There are good reasons for having multiple routers - I have about six. The reason I have multiple routers is because I do certain jobs often enough that I want to have the router bit set up and ready to go. The routers that I have set up are all DeWalt trim routers, one for making hinge mortises for certain hinges, one for edge roundover, and one for something else (too difficult to explain).

I have two "big" routers, one in a table and one for hand use.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 07-07-2019 at 4:34 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Three routers seems like a good start. :-) I have five, though one came from my Dad several years ago and hasn't been used yet. Another will likely go into non-use and will get sold when I finish the router table build I have in progress.

Nah - you're still fine.

It's when you buy a tool you have no idea what it does or why you needed it in the first place - - all you know is that it has a cool name or looks or sounds cool.....THAT's when you cross that magic line .
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Funny stuff thanks for the yucks. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    I realized today I have three routers in my shop. Crossed the line! Brian
    Welcome to the other side of the line.

I have eight. Carpentry and woodworking was my profession but retired now.

I was a tool addict too. It was great fun. Now I'm struggling with it and probably have to tell myself once a week- 'You don't need that, you're retired!'

Piker, I have almost a dozen bandsaws in the house right now...

I would have stand naked in the shower to count all the routers I own. Only ever got two new, bought one (store closing special) and did a survey for Delta / Porter Cable at IWF, for which they gave me a new PC 690. I donated that 690 to local woodworking forum to use as a raffle prize. Raffle supports the cost of running forum, so it's a win / win situation. I have three band saws, four table saws, four welders (two stick, one MIG, and a gas drive stick.) Recently gave son's friend a Lincoln 225 AC machine that I rescued from being thrown into dumpsters. Just at the right place at the right time, as two guys were fixing to throw it into metal bin. Sure was glad I had the trailer with me that day.

There is no difference between "woodworking hobbyist", and "toll addict", or at least, not one that I've seen.

I'm not a hobbyist, but even so, I couldn't remember how many routers I own if my life depended on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Three routers doesn't necessarily make you a tool addict. There are good reasons for having multiple routers - I have about six. The reason I have multiple routers is because I do certain jobs often enough that I want to have the router bit set up and ready to go. The routers that I have set up are all DeWalt trim routers, one for making hinge mortises for certain hinges, one for edge roundover, and one for something else (too difficult to explain).

I have two "big" routers, one in a table and one for hand use.

Mike
    That is my justification for my router collection also, but it also extends to hand planes, chisels, handsaws, sharpening stones, hammers, braces & bits, socket wrenches, shovels, etc. Pretty soon, you look around, and realize that the only reason you don't have more tools its that you don't have more room, and you would have more room if you got rid of a few things, and start wondering, maybe I do have a little problem. . . . .

That said, three routers around here is barely enough to get you through the door of the the Tool Aficionado Club, much less the Addict's room in the back.

Nah, three is pretty standard actually. One for 1/4", a nice like trim router, one for all around tasks and 1/2" bits and one dedicated to a table.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Three routers? Total? or is that how many you bought in the last year?

I bought some stuff at an auction of a company where I worked as a consultant for 25 years. I ended up with 60 Micrometers. Trying to decide if I should sell a few............

Hell, I am a hand tool guy, and have 7 routers. 10 if you include the hand powered ones!

Regards from Perth

Derek

There’s a fine line between recreational use and addiction. It looks like you are walking it.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

You are not a tool addict until you have more routers than bits. Until then, you are just optimizing your time.