Thread: What to do with old cutter heads.

What to do with old cutter heads.

Hi, so I upgraded my G1033 20" cutter head and rigid 6" jointer with heliclial heads. Now I have perfecly good straight knife cutter heads and was wondering what do you guys do with them. Is there a market or some repurposing project for them?

I suppose they make a good start on a sanding drum.
    Bill D

You might put the blades in backwards so you do not slice off you fingertips.
    Bill D

I've been shopping for a jointer and people will sell their old cutter heads after doing exactly what you did. No idea how well they are selling but it is a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I suppose they make a good start on a sanding drum.
    Bill D
    Ha, I have a 38" woodmaster drum sander already... Not much of a market for them locally. Too heavy to ship...

If you are like me you put them on a shelf somewhere until no one remembers what they belong to. Doing this because of the worry of needing them sometime in the future. Somewhere in the barn attic I have a ten inch head from one of the modern Oliver jointers sitting in the box the Byrd head came in. One day my heirs will be sorting stuff and ask each other, "What do you suppose he did with this?".

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    If you are like me you put them on a shelf somewhere until no one remembers what they belong to. Doing this because of the worry of needing them sometime in the future. Somewhere in the barn attic I have a ten inch head from one of the modern Oliver jointers sitting in the box the Byrd head came in. One day my heirs will be sorting stuff and ask each other, "What do you suppose he did with this?".
    LOL, Mine will be asking why I needed so many duplicates... You know I have 3 cordless drills, 2 impact drivers 3 routers not counting the router table. Several sets of automotive tools etc. etc...

Some people make shop made jointers with planer heads.

Advertise them on OWWM dot org.
    I might do the same with a few that I have, I might just give them to whoever can use them.
    Otherwise give them to a junk dealer?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Barnett View Post
    LOL, Mine will be asking why I needed so many duplicates... You know I have tools etc. etc...
    People that do not work with their hands, do not do handyman type stuff, spend the weekend in the garage building things and so on will never understand the tool/machine dupes and trips. No point in even trying to warn them in advance.

Old machine parts for long lived machines can get stored in the bottom of the machine. The next user might want them.

I have square cope heads I replaced with corrugated back knife heads. The old ones are in the bottom of the tenoner. I do this with the guards, knobs, fences, whatever. Another way is to bolt it to the back of the machine somewhere. The porkchop guard on my jointer has been in the base since 1990. Given that it was 110 years old at that point, it seemed like it wasn't mine to toss.