Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Mask Designs

DIY Mask Designs

I made one. Just a t-shirt with my head thru the sleeve. A dish towel( tea towel) as a 2nd layer is tested to be more effective. I'll tuck it into the turtle neck shirt I'll wear. The gap at the nose is held tight by my eyeglasses and chums.

Looks like this:

Last edited by Jim Becker; 03-30-2020 at 4:47 PM. Reason: Defaulted font to make it fully visible.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

This site has info on testing of homemade mask materials:
    https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    When I see that mask I think of the folks streaming out of the WTC on 9-11 faces covered in ash and debris. How many could have just pulled up an undershirt over their nose?
    NOW you tell me...

Professor Dr. SWMBO's V1 is quite stylin'.... next version will have a pocket for additional filtration as well as a metallic object that will allow forming back around the nose for proper close fit.

IMG_E7065.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    I made one. Just a t-shirt with my head thru the sleeve. A dish towel( tea towel) as a 2nd layer is tested to be more effective. I'll tuck it into the turtle neck shirt I'll wear. The gap at the nose is held tight by my eyeglasses and chums.

Looks like this:

You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    You can call that one "the Bank Teller Special"| :^)
    I thought that too Doug, but last week I saw several people at the grocery store with scarves and masks on. No one called the cops.
    In fact if your coughing or sneezing WITHOUT a mask on in stores people may call the cops
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 03-30-2020 at 7:33 PM.
    - Henry Ford

Best sterilization approach for re-use of personal protective gear is probably an ozone bath. Ozone will kill everything, even a non-living coronavirus. Just know what you are doing because it is only safe when used appropriately.

Funny how the information on masks changes as time goes on. Every day more experts say it's good for everyone to wear masks when they leave the house.
    - Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    I think masks for all are kind of inevitable. There are two approaches to getting out of this thing:

1. Deliberately build herd immunity.
    a. To do that somewhere between 50-66% of the population must get sick and recover. We have 327 million people. Even using 1% fatality (low), that's 3.27 million deaths.
    b. vaccinate to get to herd immunity
    2. Test, track and quarantine like crazy. That path requires us to be very vigilant over the next 18 months or so until a vaccine is available. To hold infections to a minimum, masks are pretty much required. Since individuals are contagious several days before showing symptoms, we can't just 'stay home if we have a fever'.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 04-02-2020 at 3:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lon Crosby View Post
    Best sterilization approach for re-use of personal protective gear is probably an ozone bath. Ozone will kill everything, even a non-living coronavirus. Just know what you are doing because it is only safe when used appropriately.
    So then, my 3-ppm sodium di-chlorinated / ozone generated neutral pH 103° hot tub water should be the ideal laundromat for cleaning masks and PP gear.... or..?
    (hey, I don't know!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    So then, my 3-ppm sodium di-chlorinated / ozone generated neutral pH 103° hot tub water should be the ideal laundromat for cleaning masks and PP gear.... or..?
    (hey, I don't know!)
    A Post in Another Thread points to a study of sanitizing "single use" masks for reuse. They didn't evaluate all failure modes, but some methods, e.g. alcohol, compromised the properties they tested. Before you rely on any home remedies you may want to read the study and the FAQ they have up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I think masks for all are kind of inevitable. There are two approaches to getting out of this thing:

1. Deliberately build herd immunity.
    a. To do that somewhere between 50-66% of the population must get sick and recover. We have 327 million people. Even using 1% fatality (low), that's 3.27 million deaths.
    b. vaccinate to get to herd immunity
    2. Test, track and quarantine like crazy. That path requires us to be very vigilant over the next 18 months or so until a vaccine is available. To hold infections to a minimum, masks are pretty much required. Since individuals are contagious several days before showing symptoms, we can't just 'stay home if we have a fever'.
    Just a mathematics comment. If 50% of the population gets the virus, that's 163 million. If 1% of those cases results in death, that's 1.63 million people. Still a lot, however.

Mike

[Right now, the CDC is reporting 53,000 deaths and about 1,000,000 cases. That's a 5% death rate. But many people are getting the disease and are not getting counted so the actual death rate is certainly lower. And the death rate is different for different age groups.]
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 04-02-2020 at 8:10 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Oops. My mistake.

Scientific studies in hospital settings have found that plain cloth masks only prevent about 5% of the virus from getting through compared to no mask at all. They can and do keep out some bacteria, molds, dust etc. I.E. virtually worthless for virus protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Scientific studies in hospital settings have found that plain cloth masks only prevent about 5% of the virus from getting through compared to no mask at all. They can and do keep out some bacteria, molds, dust etc. I.E. virtually worthless for virus protection.
    Do you have any links to those studies?

This study shows t-shirt cloth blocks 70% of particles 5 times smaller than the coronavirus, while 89% are blocked by a surgical mask: https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/...ce-mask-virus/
    Last edited by Andrew Joiner; 04-03-2020 at 10:02 PM.
    - Henry Ford