Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Aliens

Aliens

Today is boring. Long job times on the laser, coffee making my mind race, and it got me thinking, there's a decent number of users here, wonder what y'all think about space travel? Do you think we are alone? If we are/aren't, what makes you feel that way? Not going to try to change anyone's mind here, just curious. Sprirted discussions can be fun I think!
    Epilog Fusion M2 40 Watt CO2 Laser

It's a big Universe, it wouldn't surprise me if there are other life forms somewhere out there.

Especially with it being ever-expanding, who knows what mysteries lie in the unknown. I'm counting on you Mr. Musk, I wanna visit Mars! lol

It's a big universe for sure, but it's also very old. If there were aliens anywhere near us, we'd be able to see them because they'd be everywhere even if they only had a modest head start.

Imagine what we could do in a million years. The universe is 13 billion years old. That's 13,000 million-year periods.

The best possibility of other life in our solar system seems to be Titan, a moon of Saturn. Liquid is present in the form of liquid methane. Still, an atmosphere and active geology with other necessities for life. In the greater sense of a universe of more stars than grains of sand on earth I think it's inevitable. Assuming one subscribes to a universal point of expansion the random odds of life possibility exist equally everywhere.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 05-01-2018 at 1:57 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I do believe there is other intelligent life in the universe and strongly suspect that we've had visitors over time. There's even a possibility that we got to where we are with a little help, given some of the archeological discoveries that suggest engineering/technology that was well beyond what mere early humans could do themselves.

We will "get out there" ourselves someday, when we get out of our own way.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    It's a big universe for sure, but it's also very old. If there were aliens anywhere near us, we'd be able to see them because they'd be everywhere even if they only had a modest head start.

Imagine what we could do in a million years. The universe is 13 billion years old. That's 13,000 million-year periods.
    Do you mind expanding on that? You have to think about what modest means in terms of technological advancement, I fully support the idea that mankind is not as technologically advanced as we should be, about 100 years behind, in fact.
    I don't think it would be so easy to observe them flying around in space. We don't have the kind of capability to do that, assuming they do, why wouldn't one also assume they have a way of hiding it?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    The best possibility of other life in our solar system seems to be Titan, a moon of Jupiter. Liquid is present in the form of liquid methane. Still, an atmosphere and active geology with other necessities for life. In the greater sense of a universe of more stars than grains of sand on earth. I think it's inevitable. Assuming one subscribes to a universal point of expansion the random odds of life possibility exist equally everywhere.
    I'm a fan of that logic for sure. Also depends on what people consider life. Personally, if there's bacteria/micro bacteria/or whatever, you get the gist, then that's life to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I do believe there is other intelligent life in the universe and strongly suspect that we've had visitors over time. There's even a possibility that we got to where we are with a little help, given some of the archeological discoveries that suggest engineering/technology that was well beyond what mere early humans could do themselves.

We will "get out there" ourselves someday, when we get out of our own way.
    I agree. I don't pretend to know a purpose though. Curiosity I suspect is all they have, I firmly believe if they had malicious intent, we would have found out the hard way loooong ago.

I would say the probability is high given the number of galaxies, let alone the number of stars. Now as for life forms visiting earth, I don't doubt it has happened. I do suspect however that they have left us alone after determining that there was no intelligent life here.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

It's hard to imagine that this insignificant rock we inhabit is the only one in the universe to have had life evolve on it.

There's also a good probability that some of that life exists at the same time as us.

The big issue for us, is as President Macron said "There's no planet B". At least not within the distance required.

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Chase Mueller View Post
    Do you mind expanding on that? You have to think about what modest means in terms of technological advancement, I fully support the idea that mankind is not as technologically advanced as we should be, about 100 years behind, in fact.
    I don't think it would be so easy to observe them flying around in space. We don't have the kind of capability to do that, assuming they do, why wouldn't one also assume they have a way of hiding it?
    Modest in geologic timescales. Like a 1% headstart would be 130 million years. 0.1% headstart would be 13 million years. The odds that aliens would exist and not have already occupied the whole galaxy already are very slight.

You'd be able to see advanced aliens because the biggest source of energy comes from stars and contraptions that collected it in a big enough scale would eventually (and in a short time relative to the age of the universe) alter the appearance of the star enough for us to detect it.

As old as the universe is, there is a good chance there was/is intelligent life out there somewhere. Judging from the scope of that age, and the infinite nature of it all, who's to even say what intelligence even is? The human race has only been around for a very miniscule time in this grand scheme of things, and I think if there were other advanced life forms out there, they would have either died out, or are content with where they are.

If there is alien life out there then it seems to be intelligent enough to stay clear of us. We would definitely corrupt it.

But man's minds are so limiting that we can't image all the possibilities of what intelligent alien civilizations could look like. If we do encounter it there is a good chance that it won't look humanoid or like anything we know.

I'm more curious about what it would do for our religious beliefs? Did Jesus have to die for sins on their planet too? Did they have the equivalent of Muhammad or Buddha? What form of government did they develop?
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Modest in geologic timescales. Like a 1% headstart would be 130 million years. 0.1% headstart would be 13 million years. The odds that aliens would exist and not have already occupied the whole galaxy already are very slight.

You'd be able to see advanced aliens because the biggest source of energy comes from stars and contraptions that collected it in a big enough scale would eventually (and in a short time relative to the age of the universe) alter the appearance of the star enough for us to detect it.
    So do you believe anyone has witnessed alien spacecraft? Speaking purely from an observational standpoint, there have been some very credible people who claim to have witnessed that, including many astronauts.