Thread: Glad I bought the extended warranty for my car

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The actual cost of the warranty is significantly less than what they charge for it. That's what he's referring to.

That is, you can get it for pennies on the dollar.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    The actual cost of the warranty is significantly less than what they charge for it. That's what he's referring to.

That is, you can get it for pennies on the dollar.
    I don't understand what your saying? The extended warranty's come in different coverages and at different prices, never buy one from a after market mailing, only with the factory coverage. Its an insurance policy.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

When I was shopping for a new pickup the dealer offered a extended warranty that was bumper to bumper. I asked if the bumper rusted was it covered they told me no. I asked if the antanna was covered they said yes it would only cost $200 to replace it. I went to the parts department and the antanna was less then $25 dollars, Needless to say I did not take that warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    When I was shopping for a new pickup the dealer offered a extended warranty that was bumper to bumper. I asked if the bumper rusted was it covered they told me no. I asked if the antanna was covered they said yes it would only cost $200 to replace it. I went to the parts department and the antanna was less then $25 dollars, Needless to say I did not take that warranty
    That $200 was probably parts and labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    That $200 was probably parts and labor.
    And if it's roof-mounted like most antennae today--i'd pay the $175 for labor. Sunroof in my wife's 2008 Scion Xb needed repair, and the headliner removal step-by-step from All-Data was all i needed to convince me to buy a tube of caulk instead. Estimated labor billing time for the roof liner remove/install was in the 6-8 hour range (by a mechanic, not by an insurance guy!!)

For my 2017 Ford Flex, in order to add the module to add Navigation to the Ford Sync system--i'd have needed to start with removal of the front seats to disassemble the center console, and then if i recall correctly partially disassemble the dashboard to get to the connectors. Part would have been just $300 or $400, but it would have taken a full day to install. All-Data's estimated billing time to swap out that module was 7 or 8 hours as i recall. So i just use a USB cable to connect Google Maps on my phone--and will never need to purchase an update.

Parts are cheap, labor is...well...labor!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I don't understand what your saying? The extended warranty's come in different coverages and at different prices, never buy one from a after market mailing, only with the factory coverage. Its an insurance policy.
    I can't make it any clearer then.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut