Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prepare threaded rod and nut for epoxy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marshall View Post
    If I'm reading the description of the Loctite blue correctly, it probably wouldn't be appropriate for what I want to do since I want to permanently attach the nuts and the loctite seems to allow for removing them.

Thanks,

Rob
    The red loctite will work for you. The only way to remove the nut once it sets is with heat over 300F.

I would clean in two steps. First with a petroleum based solvent, then dry and clean with alcohol. All petroleum bases will leave a trace coating, alcohol will remove and dry to a clean surface. I also recommend Loctite, blue or red. Red is permanent, but can be removed after heating the part. Doesn't take a lot of heat, like enough to damage metal temper or change its' color.

Come on Rob. You know you need a drill press anyway, right?

I just checked my local Craig List, and found 8 of them for $30-55. A $40 one had 3/4 HP motor and 5/8" chuck.

Just an alternative suggestion.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The red loctite will work for you. The only way to remove the nut once it sets is with heat over 300F.
    Lee,
    A couple of wrenches will do it too. I am speaking from years of experience with Red LocTite (as well as the other colors).
    David

Hi,

Sorry should have gotten back to this but it took me a while to do some testing. I used acetone to clean the nut and threaded rod. I tested both West System epoxy (G/Flex) and the red Loctite. Both seemed to work pretty well and would work for my application.

Thanks for all the help,

Rob

Hi Rob,
    Please post some photo of your finished project when you get to that point.
    Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Marshall View Post
    Since I have some left over parts from my initial failed attempt with a 3/4"-10 rod, I will try to clean them with acetone and try the loctite red and see how that works. I wasn't sure if it needed the primer/activator but I ordered some of that as well just in case.

Rob
    Rob, I don't think Locktite benefits from an activator (like ca glue) or primer -- no need for it