Thread: bandsaw help,,

bandsaw help,,

looking to get a bandsaw for resawing,,,,I have been looking at the grizzly go513anv and the rikon 10-326 and the laguna 14-12,,,I like all of them but can anyone give any input on this,,,the grizzly you still are looking at the shiping charges and I was just wandering if it was worth the difference between the other two,,,,,,

I have the Rikon 10-325 that is the predecessor or the 10-326. It is a great saw. I have no problems with it other than the light and where it is fixed on the saw. While using the fence to re-saw the light is of no use because the fence gets in the way. I remedied that by placing a magnetic trouble light on the saw and can attached it anywhere there is metal. No biggie. For re-sawing I use a 1/2" re-saw blade from Highland Woodworing. It works well for me. I also upgraded the guides to the new set and is already on the 10-326. Makes for really quick adjustments to the blade guide. If I were to buy another saw, I would not hesitate to buy the Rikon again.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Have you considered the new Jet JWBS-14SFX 14" steel frame? 10% off right now bringing it to under $1,000.00

I got the Rikon 10-326 from Lee Valley and it is a great saw......

I was happy with my Laguna 14|12 and put hundreds of feet of very hard woods thru it at capacity and never had a problem.

the griz 0513 has 17 inch wheels so you get a larger throat and plenty of h.p. the only down side to this machine is that with the 131-1/2 inch blades you just can not get them anywhere. They are easy to get but not just at the corner store so if you get one of these think ahead and get a few assorted blades when you get the saw, mine has been flawless, the anv. version is a stripped version of the saw so look at the reg. 0513 and see which features the best price for what you need. I bought the anv. and then bought the resaw fence.

It might be helpful to go to your nearest Woodcraft where you can see the Rikon, the Laguna and the Jet models side by side. I sold my 1412 which I was very happy with to buy the 14bx when it came out. I learned a lot about these saws and bandsaws in general from SMC postings by the way (so many thanks to Van and all the other bandsaw experts!). The fit and finish of the Lagunas is excellent and I really like the ceramic guides. Blade changes are easy. In the space of a day or so last week I had 4 different blades on my 14bx (a 1/8" with Carter stabilizer to the 3/4" Resaw king). I would also add that Laguna customer support has been excellent. Of the saws mentioned and including the Grizzly, I don't believe you can go wrong with any of them.Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Bevilacqua View Post
    Have you considered the new Jet JWBS-14SFX 14" steel frame? 10% off right now bringing it to under $1,000.00
    I second this bandsaw. Purchased one during XMAS when the price was reduced under $1,000.

If it was me and I was leaning towards the Grizzly I would spend a few extra dollars and jump up to the G0513X2. With it you'll get a much nicer fence (with removable resaw fence) and cast iron wheels with urethane tires. The guides are different (ball bearing vs their euro style guides) that could be a plus or minus. The G0513ANV does go on sale for 10% off at times which does make it more tempting but to add a resaw fence (something all the other brand band saws come with) alone will increase the price. Resawing may not be something you're planning on doing so it might not matter.

I have the g0513X. It's a nice saw. Bigger is better when it comes to bandsaws: more throat, more width. And do order extra blades of varying types. I've come to like the bimetal blades from Lenox. Read the bandsaw blade sticky in the general wookworking forum.

thank everyone for your help,,i believe I will go with a rikon or laguna,,,not that I don't like grizzly,,i think they have some really nice equipment,,,but after doing some research I found out that they do not print the negative reviews for their equipment,,,plus the bbb in belham Washington has got a long list of complaints again them,,most of them sounds like a hooror story once you receive their equipment and try to get customer support,,im sure this is not true with everyone but im the old fashion type,,lol,,I like to actually see what im buying prior to purchasing it,,plus the warranty and customer service is a priorty to me,,but I do thank everyone for their info,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    thank everyone for your help,,i believe I will go with a rikon or laguna,,,not that I don't like grizzly,,i think they have some really nice equipment,,,but after doing some research I found out that they do not print the negative reviews for their equipment,,,plus the bbb in belham Washington has got a long list of complaints again them,,most of them sounds like a hooror story once you receive their equipment and try to get customer support,,im sure this is not true with everyone but im the old fashion type,,lol,,I like to actually see what im buying prior to purchasing it,,plus the warranty and customer service is a priorty to me,,but I do thank everyone for their info,,,,
    LOL........ that should stir up the Grizzly boys!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    LOL........ that should stir up the Grizzly boys!!!!!!
    Not going to stir me, but consider how many pieces of equipment Grizzly sells compared to Laguna and Rikon combined....year after year after year. Of course there are going to be some complaints.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 03-14-2019 at 7:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brimm View Post
    I was happy with my Laguna 14|12 and put hundreds of feet of very hard woods thru it at capacity and never had a problem.
    2nd on the 14-12. I've resawn 100's of 3x8x6' pieces of oak without any problem at all. Great saw.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

It's your money and you should buy what you feel is right for you. Personally the biggest advantage the Grizzly has is the larger wheels. But lots of people have 14" bandsaws and they work just fine. I personally don't like Grizzly's euro style guides that they offer on the G0513ANV. Looking at pictures of them they are not the standard square shape like cool blocks. The extra 1/4hp doesn't really seam like it would be noticeable.

Obviously others may of had a different experience but the two times I've dealt with Grizzly for my lathe they were very easy to deal with. I expect that when you buy something from them (or Rikon and Laguna) they will supply the parts for a repair and you will do the work or you will have to deal with exchanging it. If you have a local store (there's a Rockler about 3 hours away for me but I've never been so I don't know if they have band saws on display) that you can go to then exchanging it that's a bonus.