Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scissor lift table question

Scissor lift table question

This is a specific question - has anyone seen a scissor lift table like the one pictured below with the motor, etc mounted on the top of the table top? This seems like a complete waste of a prime horizontal surface, and hopefully I’m missing something. It’s somewhat close by, up for auction, and I’ve been looking for a used one about this size (3x6 or smaller) for a reasonable price for a while.

I am confused at to why this would ever be how a lift table would be designed and configured...unless it’s all sitting up there for the auction photos and actually mounts underneath, though the photo with the red cover on top suggests otherwise?

Anyone have any answers?

https://www.irsauctions.com/popups/p...A9V1I&id=24475
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Still waters run deep.

I don't think the motor is mounted on top, just sitting there.

Vestil has a website.
    Maybe you can find out there.

https://www.vestil.com/index.php
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I have looked on their website and elsewhere online and seen no other examples like this, which makes me think it’s just sitting there for the auction photos. I’ll call the auction contact and inquire about it specifically next week. Wanted to ask here to see if anyone has seen this or has an answer. Thanks
    Still waters run deep.

I also think it's just sitting there because it's a convenient surface for that for the photos to show the stuff that's included.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by derek labian View Post
    I don't think the motor is mounted on top, just sitting there.
    That would be my thought as well. It seems like the motor could be wherever it doesn't kink the flexible shaft.

As has been said it's just sitting there to show it's complete. The power unit is to tall to mount under the table in my opinion and would be positioned beside it. The motor has to be turned upright in that configuration to allow the pump to have the intake port submerged in the hydraulic oil. There are a couple similar tables on their website but none identical that I see. Those have the power unit adjacent to the table. The only draw back I see is the 3 phase power requirement. Unless you have 3 phase in your shop. It would seem like a pain to have a converter for the lift table. The convenience of the foot pedal height adjustment would be lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    As has been said it's just sitting there to show it's complete. The power unit is to tall to mount under the table in my opinion and would be positioned beside it. The motor has to be turned upright in that configuration to allow the pump to have the intake port submerged in the hydraulic oil. There are a couple similar tables on their website but none identical that I see. Those have the power unit adjacent to the table. The only draw back I see is the 3 phase power requirement. Unless you have 3 phase in your shop. It would seem like a pain to have a converter for the lift table. The convenience of the foot pedal height adjustment would be lost.
    Thanks Ronald (and others) for the replies.

Now it makes more sense after seeing your reply, Ronald. I have seen the lift table type where there’s a bar type handle attached to one end (like a cart) and the motor, pump, tank are mounted vertically under the handle bar. Seems like this one is similar. Not sure how useful that will be to me to have an independent mount / location for the motor, etc. I was hoping to put a table like this on stout casters and be able to move it around a bit, though my shop is tiny so it wouldn’t be moving very far from one end of travel to the other.

I generate 3 phase for my other machines with a rotary phase converter, but also use a VFD on my jointer. I think for convenience (of not having to turn the converter on simply to raise/lower the table) I would consider a small VFD, but i’m not sure how that may interfere or limit the use of the onboard switches and controls. Is that what you meant, Ronald?

I have one of the manual (foot pump) style 1k# lift carts from Northern Tool that I use as a milling cart and other one off things. It’s on casters and has a much smaller table top (32x20) I am also considering getting another one of those, unbolting the handle and adding a bigger torsion box type top and using it more like an adjustable assembly table / adjustable table for staging stock next to the sliding saw. It’s not light @ 160# but nowhere near the weight of these beefier lift tables. I worry about it being tippy / wobbly with a wider and longer wooden top cantilevered on all sides. 3’x7’ would be perfect for my shop, but that seems like asking too much of the smaller lift cart style.

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: What would work just fine is an appropriately sized manual pump table, I just never see them big enough. They are all cart sized and not 3x7 sized. I have no issue with a crank or manual foot pedal as long as it’s ergonomic to access repeatedly.
    Last edited by Phillip Mitchell; 09-25-2021 at 9:34 AM.
    Still waters run deep.

I agree probably a hydraulic pump unit. I notice the casters are gone. So maybe the power pack was bolted to a wall.
    Bill D.

This one the power pack plastic cover has a family resemblance.

https://www.vestil.com/product.php?FID=196#images-49
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 09-25-2021 at 9:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Thanks Ronald (and others) for the replies.

Now it makes more sense after seeing your reply, Ronald. I have seen the lift table type where there’s a bar type handle attached to one end (like a cart) and the motor, pump, tank are mounted vertically under the handle bar. Seems like this one is similar. Not sure how useful that will be to me to have an independent mount / location for the motor, etc. I was hoping to put a table like this on stout casters and be able to move it around a bit, though my shop is tiny so it wouldn’t be moving very far from one end of travel to the other.

I generate 3 phase for my other machines with a rotary phase converter, but also use a VFD on my jointer. I think for convenience (of not having to turn the converter on simply to raise/lower the table) I would consider a small VFD, but i’m not sure how that may interfere or limit the use of the onboard switches and controls. Is that what you meant, Ronald?

I have one of the manual (foot pump) style 1k# lift carts from Northern Tool that I use as a milling cart and other one off things. It’s on casters and has a much smaller table top (32x20) I am also considering getting another one of those, unbolting the handle and adding a bigger torsion box type top and using it more like an adjustable assembly table / adjustable table for staging stock next to the sliding saw. It’s not light @ 160# but nowhere near the weight of these beefier lift tables. I worry about it being tippy / wobbly with a wider and longer wooden top cantilevered on all sides. 3’x7’ would be perfect for my shop, but that seems like asking too much of the smaller lift cart style.

Thanks for the replies.

Edit: What would work just fine is an appropriately sized manual pump table, I just never see them big enough. They are all cart sized and not 3x7 sized. I have no issue with a crank or manual foot pedal as long as it’s ergonomic to access repeatedly.
    Actually if you have air available an air over hydraulic pump would work great. The pump could be mounted where you simply step on the pedal to raise or lower. That could give you the easy mobility you need and desire. If it sells at a price that you can modify. The only thing you need to know is the cylinder size and stroke for oil volume and I would add a relief valve in the circuit to protect the cylinder. Most all air powered pumps are capable of a minimum 10,000 psi. I can give you more insight if you need it.

As for the 3 phase I was simply thinking a converter would not be as convenient as just hitting the button to raise or lower it.

Air powered tables are the best IMO. Very fast and no oil leaks ever. This one is 2 feet wide by 7 feet long and I have the extensions for each side that gives me a 48" wide by 7 foot long table. Everyone should have at least one adjustable height table in their shop, they are so handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith, that table looks great.

What are the air requirements of a table like that?

What make and model is that table?
    Still waters run deep.

You could, replace all the hydraulics with an a electric actuator either 120 or 12 volt with a battery for portability. How much lift force do you really need, how often?
    Bill D.

Well, this lift table went for $1890 at auction this afternoon...that’s with the sales tax and premium. Insanity. I could buy a brand new one with a more convenient configuration for a few hundred more!

I thought if I could get it for around $500 or less it would be worth my time, but 4x that is crazy talk.

Still looking for the right solution for a 3x7 ish sized lift table for my shop.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Well, this lift table went for $1890 at auction this afternoon...that’s with the sales tax and premium. Insanity. I could buy a brand new one with a more convenient configuration for a few hundred more!

I thought if I could get it for around $500 or less it would be worth my time, but 4x that is crazy talk.

Still looking for the right solution for a 3x7 ish sized lift table for my shop.
    Auctions the last 18 months have blown me away. I went into a metal working shop liquidation that was 15 mins from my house a few weeks ago thinking i would snag a 72" camelback straight edge, drills, grinders, and some random starrett stuff. I went to about $650 on the straight edge before i knocked some sense into myself asking, what the heck are you doing on a used and untested item?? Generally, the price of tools at auction has been downright shocking. Definitely been a good year for the auction houses.