Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glowforge launched today

Laser Class definitions are a measure of beam safety not overall machine safety. The class is defined by the ability to access unguarded laser beams nothing more.

A 1mw 532nm Green Laser pointer is safe according to it's Class I rating...right up until you shine it into the cockpit of an aircraft
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Except it's not true. You can't kill someone with a DVD player that's sitting in the same room with you, minding their own business.
    Please see post 28.

Blog Entries
    Oooooh. I just got an email from a company called Trackr. They make little keyfob like devices designed to help you locate lost keys and wallets and pets and whatnot. Their email says they have teamed with GlowForge, advertising that you can now customize your Trackr with your GlowForge in your own home!!! (seriously!) A deal! I can buy my $17 Trackr and by adding a $1700 GlowForge to the order I can use the GlowForge to customize my Trackr!!! As they might say in the UK Dave...."Brilliant!" <grin>

Where is that credit card????
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

hahahahha I guess I've got cynical over the years brother...my old Dad taught me "If it sounds too good to be true it very usually is" and sadly in this case I think he's right
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Laser Class definitions are a measure of beam safety not overall machine safety. The class is defined by the ability to access unguarded laser beams nothing more.

A 1mw 532nm Green Laser pointer is safe according to it's Class I rating...right up until you shine it into the cockpit of an aircraft
    Well, goodness -- anything can be misused.

What part of this is not true?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?235694-Glowforge-launched-today&p=2471214#post2471214

Also, please see post 28.

What class are the machines already in schools?

Big difference in a school and a kitchen table. You don't have a 4 yr old sister next to you at school where an adult is always present.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

What class are the machines already in schools?
    I through IIIb usually although it's the suggestion that the machine is "Safe" per se....that generates a system of acceptance that accidents cannot happen.

Most blu-ray players have a 1.5 to 3 watt 445NM diode...the way they are constructed means to get at that diode and cause harm with it is close to impossible (the cartridge is sealed and the drivers are linked on a ribbon cable) so the chances are you would have to be quite skilled to get to the bit that can do harm. Not the case with a laser, we have no blink reflex to the 10,600 wavelength so any minor accident can be serious right off the bat.

It's the potential harm that is the problem

A handgun is safe..it's an inanimate object so much so that millions of good Americans own them. By the same token and test a W53 Nuclear Warhead is also safe right up until it isn't. Then potentially millions can die.

What I'm saying is the test of safety isn't a valid comparison,no more than comparing a Glock 17 to a W53.
    You did what !

Or as Eric Schlosser would call it "The illusion of safety"
    You did what !

I through IIIb...
    OK then.

Also:

"Because Glowforge is powered by the cloud, it’s an important question. Long term, we’re working on some cool solutions, but short term, here’s a commitment we’ll make right now: When we launch Glowforge, we’ll also release a copy of the firmware under GPL."

http://glowforge.com/gpl-licensed-open-source-firmware-for-glowforge/

Last edited by Matt McCoy; 09-25-2015 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Added Link

A thought just occurred to me. The Glowforge cuts out flat parts to construct a 3-D object and they call it a 3-D laser printer. Does that mean a 4 X 8 CNC router is a 3-D cabinet printer?

Most blu-ray players have a 1.5 to 3 watt 445NM diode...
    Eh? That power sounds high by a couple orders of magnitude. Milliwatt maybe?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    A thought just occurred to me. The Glowforge cuts out flat parts to construct a 3-D object and they call it a 3-D laser printer. Does that mean a 4 X 8 CNC router is a 3-D cabinet printer?
    Wish I'd thought of that when I was selling mine, could have raised the price a good bit...
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    OK then.

Also:

"Because Glowforge is powered by the cloud, it’s an important question. Long term, we’re working on some cool solutions, but short term, here’s a commitment we’ll make right now: When we launch Glowforge, we’ll also release a copy of the firmware under GPL."
    Trying to figure out what problem that actually solves...
    I'd be a lot more impressed if they released the cloud/server-side stuff under GPL, but that ain't gonna happen. If the as-bought machine requires "the cloud" to run, having the source to the firmware doesn't make it run if the cloud-based portion goes bye-bye, it just gives you the theoretical capability to spend a lot of time and money modifying the firmware to run standalone. In the meantime, your Glowforge widget (and all the others) is a rather expensive paperweight.
    (That's assuming you know quite a bit about machine control, firmware/software development, etc. As it happens, I do, and I wouldn't touch that job without at least a 6-figure budget.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Except it's not true. You can't kill someone with a DVD player that's sitting in the same room with you, minding their own business.
    Sure you can: just slip in a copy of "Howard The Duck".

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Eh? That power sounds high by a couple orders of magnitude. Milliwatt maybe?
    Blu-ray laser diodes are fairly powerful. The ones I've seen are 700 to 1,200 mW. I'm skeptical that you'll find 1.5 to 3 W diodes in common blu-ray players though. A quick search for a 3W diode results in finding one on eBay for almost $500.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408