Thread: Need Straps For Box..HELP...

Need Straps For Box..HELP...

I built this box out of 1/4" hard board, to hold some knife sharpening stones. Now I need a way to lift this relatively heavy, but small box. It measures about 5" x 10" x 6". As you can see, I have some Velcro doing the job right now, however I'd like to have something a bit more elegant for the permanent solution.
    Stipulations are, there can be nothing protruding into the box and I'd like to have the strap removable. Also, when in use, the box sits on 4 small pads on one end, as you can see in the pic. I know someone here will have the solution I've been searching for. Thanks for the help!

Find an old leather belt.

I use nylon straps (webbing) similar to seat belt material but found a variety of sizes and colors I found at a local shop, sold by the foot. I don't know where to buy these where you live (you may not have your location in your profile) but Google does and Amazon carries it. I can imagine several ways to connect a strap to a box, depending on how quickly and often it might be removed.

Old leather belt and guitar strap buttons...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Old leather belt and guitar strap buttons...
    Thought about that, Jim. It's a good idea, as I could countersink the inside screw, however I was hoping to find something that didn't stick out quite so much on the outside, so it won't interfere with how the box sits when in use.

The problem isn't really what to use as a strap, but more, how to connect the strap to the box. I was hoping that somewhere, just the right piece of hardware exists. Of course, I'd like it to look decent as well.

Blog Entries
    Rockler has some nice leather handles and brackets to hold them to a box like you have.

These are called un-pinned loops
    90241-04-1000.jpg
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Put the leather strap crosswise.

When you have one that works, get a leatherworker to make you a pretty one. You won't regret the expense.

How about cutting a pair of slots 1" below the top on each end just wider than the strap and feed the strap thru and back onto itself then use a snap fastener or Velcro the make the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How about cutting a pair of slots 1" below the top on each end just wider than the strap and feed the strap thru and back onto itself then use a snap fastener or Velcro the make the connection.
    Doug, the items in the cubbies don't allow for that. They slide in with little play. If I use any connectors on the inside surface, they would have to be flush with the surface.

google bib overall buttons

Maybe next time design the strap system before building? Can you route a slot vertically in the ends, drill a hole horizontally for a dowel, insert the strap with a grommet in the slot and secure it with the dowel?

Doug, dowel is a good idea! It's doable, but I'll have to think on exactly where I want to go with that. I'd have to make sure it's strong enough, cuz if it were to ever break off, I'd have a tuff time replacing it. I'm still considering the guitar strap thing as well.