Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The proper way to break in a new vehicle...

Matt, 'glad you are enjoying yours! I only put lumber inside my vehicle when it's just a few sticks that are less than 8-9' long right up the center. Shorts can go in the back like I did yesterday. Otherwise, I use the trailer. While I was waiting for the factory to do it's thing, I was using Professor Dr. SWMBO's Outback Limited with Eyesight and had to make multiple runs for lumber required for a commission because I never put a hitch receiver on the Outback. That was a pain!!

Ken, when I bought my 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit on the last day of July 2012, the next day I left on a 1000 mile round trip for business...this time around I don't anticipate a long trip until June when I'm going to head to Florida to visit my mother and see a few new-to-me relatives discovered via DNA and Ancestry.com. We may try to do a vacation trip later in the summer...it's been a few years. I'm not doing the miles I was doing any more and most of it now is taxi service for my older daughter and picking up stuff at the home center or more worthy material suppliers.

Jon, lots of cup and bottle holders, for sure, But the two in the front center console are a bit too big for the typical drink cups from S'bucks, etc., so I need to get a sleeve to fix that problem. The most common fix for that right now is to get the sleeve that's used with the ash tray in the "smoker's kit". The sleeve is available separately for a few bucks and they are apparently selling like hot cakes. The same cup holders in our 2016 Outback Limited with Eyesight are slightly smaller, but still a "little" loose. Only our 2011 Outback Limited has spring-loaded cup grips.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use to love my Subaru. then bought one with cvt transmission.....

Congratulations on the new vehicle. The pictures show up pretty shitty on my side of the 30 foot tall Mexican fence. But enjoy your new ride. You definitely got a ride that will trump most others!
    Last edited by Matt Mattingley; 05-04-2019 at 12:14 AM.

At first I thought you got the Festool Semi.... Congrats on the Subaru. We have a Crosstrek 2014. Decent car, but goes through light bulbs like candy. Brakes are an issue too. Going to get an Ascent in s year or so. All wheel drive and good ground clearance are nice here in the Great White North. We got pounded with snow this year. .

Back in 1979-81 A couple Subaru models were available that they fitted snow plows to! The plows were made of some type thick plastic. Worked great on short concrete driveways like in a sub-division but people being people many tried using them for more than they were designed to handle. Uni-body construction just wasn’t made for that type punishment!!! I was selling Toyota’s at the time.

Green with envy that you're so close to Hearne Hardwoods. Congrats on the new vehicle and some premo lumber!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Green with envy that you're so close to Hearne Hardwoods. Congrats on the new vehicle and some premo lumber!
    Yea, I don't get there often because it's still an hour and fifteen ride each way, but I just love the place. I call it my "candy store". I buy "ordinary stuff" locally for obvious reason, but when I want something special, I head to Hearne. The English Brown Oak has become one of my favorites to work with on interesting projects. It's basically a white oak that was turned brown by a fungus. The brown color is awesomely rich and the sapwood is really creamy. It works beautifully. In fact, the first piece I made with it...a hall table...was the first time I did a 100% hand planed surface. No sanding.

And another one more recently where the material was more "wormy" and the sap not quite as bright...

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by eugene thomas View Post
    I use to love my Subaru. then bought one with cvt transmission.....

Unless you buy one with a manual tranny, a CVT is all you are going to get in a Subaru these days. No idea why you don't like it though; my '16 Outback Limited 6 cyl. has all kinds of guts yet gets very good milage. I will admit I was completely put off by the 2016 4-cyl., however, so maybe that's your reference point. The motor/CVT sounded and felt very loud and unrefined, and that pushed me to the 6 cyl. Turned out to be a great choice. And now I'm waiting on the 2020 which only comes with a turbo 4 cyl. on the ones I'm interested in. Once I actually see and drive one I'll have to decide if I'm going to buy another, which would be my 5th, Subaru or look elsewhere. I've had 4 Subaru's now - never have I had more reliable vehicles. VW, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Ford - none were as dependable and trouble free, so I'm definitely brand loyal at this point.

Jim, the Ascent looks like it's going to be a great fit for your needs. I'm sure it will give you the same reliable service mine have.

John

The 15 impreza cvt transmission is crap. Gets good miles but keeping dealers busy changing out. Mine went at 61k but right around that time Subaru extended the warent on the transmission to 100k think to avoid a class action lawsuit. If only would of listened to the better half and got her the manual version.

We’ve had the CVT in my wife’s ‘14 Forester, the first iteration of Subaru's new CVT. Never had an issue.

Sure there will be issues on some, and sorry to hear about yours Eugene, hope you get it fixed up soon.

I didn't realize people bought anything besides trucks. Can't see the point of a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I didn't realize people bought anything besides trucks. Can't see the point of a car.
    I can rent a truck when I need one, of whatever size, so I don't see the need to buy one. It's saved me a boatload of money over the years.

Try hanging a 16-foot board off the back of your crewcab. :^)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 05-04-2019 at 3:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post

I could use a truck about 2 days a month, probably about the same as most people who own one. My brother's Silverado cost something like $64K and gets about 16 mpg. No wonder he complains about the cost of gas. I paid $36 for a fully loaded Outback that gets 25 mpg, and hauls anything I need with a rented trailer. To each his own.

John

Glad you guys are happy with your Subarus. I had an 18 Outback and there was so much to like about it, but the seats were so horrifically uncomfortable that I got out of it after a year. That and the awful cupholders were my only complaints. Heck of a practical vehicle.

Very comfortable in my Buick now.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I can rent a truck when I need one, of whatever size, so I don't see the need to buy one. It's saved me a boatload of money over the years.

Try hanging a 16-foot board off the back of your crewcab. :^)
    Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    I could use a truck about 2 days a month, probably about the same as most people who own one. My brother's Silverado cost something like $64K and gets about 16 mpg. No wonder he complains about the cost of gas. I paid $36 for a fully loaded Outback that gets 25 mpg, and hauls anything I need with a rented trailer. To each his own.

John
    I would never own anything but a crew cab with a 8 foot standard long box, or a CC with a 12 foot flat bed.

I own three trailers, enclosed, bumper pull and a gooseneck deck over.

My truck gets used as a truck most days.
    I hate taking my wife's car anywhere.
    Hate climbing out of it.

I don't care what diesel fuel costs, how much maintenance costs or what kind of milage I get.

I could never own and drive a car.

We always take the truck, anywhere we go.