Thread: Computer question

Blog Entries

Computer question

I have a dell desktop computer running windows 10 and tonight I had this notice pop up.
    1.PNG
    Has anyone seen this who can explain what isn't working and what needs to be done to fix it if it in fact needs to be fixed. Everything seems to work just fine. No recent software has been installed other than windows updates.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 07-11-2018 at 8:41 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Not a computer expert. barely computer literate but I smell scam. Whatever you do don't click on any links associated with that pop up.

Typing the error window header into Google, I found:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...t-failure.html

which gives a little explanation and points to a fix on the Microsoft website.

That said, I'd first make sure I was 100% on official updates and see if the error message still occurs.

PS- scam was my first thought too.

Something has probably become corrupted on your startup menu. Here's what I would do:
    Write the entire message down;
    Go to Microsoft/support;
    Do a search for your problem. There will be lots of threads and some false starts.
    Im guessing you never partitioned your hard drive. If you can, back up all your data (pictures, correspondence etc. )
    keep checking back there on the support forums for replies.
    Someone will have an answer.
    If you need any other help, pm me.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Simplest way to find something "official" like this is to put the salient points into Google. Generally if you do it properly it will come up with others in the same situation.

Link:
    https://www.google.com/search?comple....0.rDHRZkzNQns

Search term used:
    "windows service start failure" windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Rosenthal View Post
    Something has probably become corrupted on your startup menu. Here's what I would do:
    Write the entire message down;
    Go to Microsoft/support;
    Do a search for your problem. There will be lots of threads and some false starts.
    Im guessing you never partitioned your hard drive. If you can, back up all your data (pictures, correspondence etc. )
    keep checking back there on the support forums for replies.
    Someone will have an answer.
    If you need any other help, pm me.
    So how would not partitioning the hard d rive cause the problem? And backing up is always good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    So how would not partitioning the hard d rive cause the problem? And backing up is always good practice.
    Sorry, I was jumping ahead in my thought process.
    When the hard drive is partitioned, the operating system is largely confined to C:\
    I have a separate partition for programs, and yet a 3rd for data.
    That way, if you encounter a fatal drive C:\ error (yours isn't) and you need to re-install Windows, your data is not destroyed.
    So, partitioning the drive would not cause the problem, or save it - but it would allow you to keep your data. Unless, of course you back up to the cloud.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Ok - I googled the error and it appears that some (Windows) service won't start - - -and by the responses, it's probably the Dell Update service.
    Most people having this error also seem to have a separate login to Windows that has less than administrative rights.
    The error goes away if/when the administrator user logs in.

This would indicate that - either the account used to start the service doesn't have the necessary rights - or - the directory where the executable (.exe) file is located doesn't allow any user access to it, other than administrator.

Is there any other message that tells you which service isn't able to start?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Ok - I googled the error and it appears that some (Windows) service won't start - - -and by the responses, it's probably the Dell Update service.
    Most people having this error also seem to have a separate login to Windows that has less than administrative rights.
    The error goes away if/when the administrator user logs in.

This would indicate that - either the account used to start the service doesn't have the necessary rights - or - the directory where the executable (.exe) file is located doesn't allow any user access to it, other than administrator.

Is there any other message that tells you which service isn't able to start?
    Yes, this only shows up on my wife's account. I will go log in and see if the error ceases.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Yes, this only shows up on my wife's account. I will go log in and see if the error ceases.
    If that is the case then run the MSCONFIG command and disable the dell upgrade in startup or any other things that you don't need there like office and printer stuff

Ok - I'll create a new account with limited rights and see what happens when I log in.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Update....I hate to post twice but...

I created a limited rights account and logged into my Win 10 laptop with it.

No error messages. I can't recreate the problem. Sorry.

The only thing I can think of is that the account existed before the upgrade to Win 10 & now that it's been upgraded the rights got scrambled.