Thread: Stanley #53 shave iron - where to buy?

Stanley #53 shave iron - where to buy?

I stumbled on a very old #53 shave from the Stanley Rule and Level era. It’s in great shape and was stupid cheap so I grabbed it. When I got it home I found someone had all but spoiled the iron by adding a serious backbevel (radius would be more accurate). It was basically sharpened like a cleaver instead of a plane iron. I’ve ground it back as far as I dare and still haven’t reached flat back.

I figured I’d just order a new iron from Hock, but I see his are 2” wide and this shave takes a 2 1/8 wide cutter. Any ideas where I can get the right size, or do I just suck it up and use the 2” version?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

nhplaneparts?

Rob, if you search the Web, you may come across Ray Ilse in the UK, who makes and sells a replacement. Do not buy it. Ray has a terrific reputation, and I thought I might upgrade the blade in mine, and so bought one. It is too thick. This is one plane where you must get the same thickness blade .. otherwise you will lose the adjustable mouth feature ofbthe spokeshave.

If I was looking for a new blade, I would modify a blade from another Stanley spokeshave. I cannot recall sizes off the top of my head, but one from a #51 might be a candidate.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I have a similar style/type spoke shave, not Stanley (Sterns #60?). It has a 2 1/8 blade. I got a blade for the Kunz Adjustable Throat spoke shave from Highland Woodworking. The listing says it's 2 1/6 but mine measures closer to 2 1/8 (53 or 54 mm metric?). Price about $7. It fit my shave as though it was made for it, has taken a good edge and seems to hold it okay (haven't used it enough to say how well it holds the edge).

Let me know where to send this...
    Tractor Fest 2019, Stanley spokeshave front.JPG
    As it might be the same model....
    Tractor Fest 2019, Stanley spokeshave back.JPG
    I'll dig around tomorrow, and see IF I can find it....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    I have a similar style/type spoke shave, not Stanley (Sterns #60?). It has a 2 1/8 blade. I got a blade for the Kunz Adjustable Throat spoke shave from Highland Woodworking. The listing says it's 2 1/6 but mine measures closer to 2 1/8 (53 or 54 mm metric?). Price about $7. It fit my shave as though it was made for it, has taken a good edge and seems to hold it okay (haven't used it enough to say how well it holds the edge).
    Thanks, I'll take a look.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Let me know where to send this.......
    PM Sent.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Line View Post
    I took a look and this blade seems exactly what I need. Thanks for the tip.

Hope to send the shave out tomorrow....call it "paying forward"....

Looking forward to it.

Good one Steven C. Shaves are fun to use.
    David

Snowed in, this morning....4 block walk to the Post Office, and then the walk back....we'll see.

I didn't sharpen the iron, I'll let Rob do his own thing with that.

3-1/2 blocks each way....package will arrive on Thursday's mail. Let me know when it arrives...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 12-16-2019 at 12:33 PM. Reason: shipping date

Might want to check your mailbox....just got word it has been delivered....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Might want to check your mailbox....just got word it has been delivered....
    I can confirm that. Thanks.

Follow up.....

To Steven - thanks again for the gracious gesture. The shave was received and it’s a very early Stanley #54 straight arm shave. It’s a great companion to my #53 raised handle shave. The logo on both irons is the same, and suggests both are circa 1880. I’m looking forward to gifting both of these forward one day in the same spirit you passed the #54 on to me.

To Richard - I rolled the dice on the Kunz irons from Highland. The transaction was painless and delivery was quick. The irons are much thicker than the originals (.094” vs .063”) and as a result the range of mouth adjustability is limited. That said, it’s not an issue. There’s plenty of adjustment left. The extra heft is a welcome surprise. For others considering these replacement irons, quality seems very good with a good edge right out of the package. It goes without saying that this anal retentive Engineer will hone the bevel and lap the backs to a mirror finish just because, well, mirror finish.

A few passes with each shave bodes well for the future. Once I have a little time I’ll get things dialed in and put them to work.