Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna C-Flux DC's

Laguna C-Flux DC's

Does anyone have one of the new design DC's from Laguna ? The specs on the C-Flux 3hp look pretty good. I know the prior model DC's from Laguna have a bad reputation. These C-Flux models looks like Laguna has got it right this time.

I currently have no DC at all. Okay I have two shop vacs, but I call them not having DC. My little shop is probably hazardous to my health, everything in there is coated with a powder fine dust, thick to boot. The 3hp C-Flux is 10% off with $75 shipping this weekend. I think I will try one.

http://www.lagunatools.com/Industria...ust-Collectors

I can only pony up for and fit the 1 1/2 hp c/flux and I'll have it on order this evening, I hope they got t figured out. There's a post around here concerning last years 1 1/2 hp and the owner is very happy with it. At this time the thread is right below this one.

From what I have read since my initial post they say the cyclone length is short compared to an Oneida or Clearvue. Most likely true that the Oneida or Clearvue are more efficient. However, the Laguna C Flux line of DC's has the specs and size that I was looking for. Already put my order in for a 3hp C Flux. The web site I ordered from said a 5-7 day wait until it ships. That is okay as it will give me next weekend to run the 30 amp 220 circuit and outlet. Also make up a 30 amp extension cord so I can move the machine around my shop.

4. Please post your experiences with your 3 hp CFLUX when you have it in hand - I am very interested in buying the same unit!

+1

I would love to hear more about cflux and/or pflux dcs

My 1 1/2 horse is scheduled for delivery on Tuesday so I'll have first impressions soon. I pulled up the online manual today to see what I needed for a breaker and I found out that for me to convert the unit to 220 I'll need to get a new switch and cover. I called Laguna today because I can't find anything for sale anywhere but haven't gotten a call back yet.

You are ahead of me Mark. Mine has not even made it to the point of them notifying me of a shipping date. I do not have the 30 amp 220 circuit run yet anyway. If I can muster the ambition maybe tomorrow. It will be cool tomorrow in my neck of the woods so it should be a good day to crawl around in the attic.

Yes, I will post my experience with the 3hp model. Not sure how useful my information will be as I have never owned a DC before. Been around a couple of big commercial ones and that is it. The C-Flux 3 info I have read looks like the 8" inlet will give the best performance. I looked online a couple of different places at a 10 ~12' length of 8" flex with a smooth bore and got sticker shock- extreme. There has to be a cheaper way to get a few feet from the DC to my various machines.

There are lots of cheaper alternatives to the smoothbore flex pipe. PVC, metal ducting, snap lock, etc. The piping for a shop can be a significant expense and also be a liability to proper operation of the DC. The duct system needs to be properly designed. There is lots of discussion on this site and there are firms like Oneida that will design a duct system for you.

Those who are buying their first proper dust collector, there is a reason the inlets (and outlets) are so large. Dust collectors operate on very large amounts of air flow and low static pressure, (another way to characterize static flow would be restrictions to airflow) the opposite of vacuums. That's why using 4" pipe in the ducting going to the machines (and 4" or smaller pickups on the machines) is a very bad idea. That size pipe, even though it has become sort of an industry standard, is simply too small to work properly with a DC. The airflow through the DC will be choked off and you will waste the available power the DC has. Using 4" pipe, the DC will pick up some chips and dust, so it seems to work properly. Not really, when compared to how it will work with properly sized ducting. You only need to try a 4" inlet then a 6" inlet on your DC. You won't need any meters to tell the difference. The minimum size for ducting and collection ports should be 6", not 4". In larger systems, the main trunk lines may be up to 8".

The idea here is to create the largest airflow where the chips and dust is being generated. On a lot of machines, even a shop vac will get most of the chips, what we are trying to catch with a DC is the smaller particles (< 1 micron) that can be harmful to health.

As I read this thread, I thought that the following information might be useful. I had posted it elsewhere but thought it might be good for the current discussion.

Recently, we have seen a new design dust collector and has shown up as a Laguna, Jet and a couple of others and they all look very similar. I was looking for some performance data and ran across some confusing data.

On the Jet Website, the max CFM for the JCDC-3 Cyclone Dust Collector Kit, 3HP, 230V was listed at 1240 CFM with the US method and 1963 CFM for the EU method. I had no idea how they came up with the higher number. So, I called them and found that the EU method is done with no filter on the machine. This is really a misleading way of testing and presenting numbers.

There may be some difference in the performance of the Jet version versus the Laguna one due to difference in air filters and other minor components but do not expect the differences to be large.

The data that Jet sent me also included how they tested the unit and it was a well done test done with good instruments.
    However, I was able to get a performance curve for this unit from Jet. I expect that the data will be very similar for the Laguna version of this dust collector. I took the data from Jet and put it into a graph along with data for several other 3 HP cyclones. These included from Oneida the Super Dust Gorilla, the V series and Pro Series. Also, included are a Penn State, Grizzly, and the Jet.

I hope the information is useful to those looking at dust collectors.

Just noticed something I hadn't seen before on the Laguna machines. Looking at the specs, Laguna uses surprisingly small filters on the 1.5 HP C/flux machines. Just 48 sq. ft. and a MERV rating of 12. The 2HP and 3HP machines get a 109 sq. ft. filter with the same MERV. The P/flux machines are the same except a claim of 16 MERV. They also claim HEPA standard which I recall from my discussion with Wynn environmental, is not possible to meet with the types of filters used. I wonder if it was strictly a money saving choice. With the design, at least a larger filter could be fitted if desired.

For comparison, the Wynn filter I use is their 9L300NANO and has 300 sq. ft. of filter area and a MERV rating of 15.

Quote Originally Posted by James Gunning View Post
    For comparison, the Wynn filter I use is their 9L300NANO and has 300 sq. ft. of filter area and a MERV rating of 15.
    What machine do you have that takes a 300 sq foot filter ?

BTW, what I have is a small home hobby / craft shop in my garage. I will be using the DC on one machine at a time and moving the suction line from machine to machine as needed.

My issues with the C-Flux is the 1 micron filter and the 48 sq ft of filtration area coupled with a short cyclone body. The former isn't very efficient at catching the most dangerous particle sizes, the latter leads quickly packing the filter and either lots of cleaning or significant reduction in flow.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    My issues with the C-Flux is the 1 micron filter and the 48 sq ft of filtration area coupled with a short cyclone body. The former isn't very efficient at catching the most dangerous particle sizes, the latter leads quickly packing the filter and either lots of cleaning or significant reduction in flow.
    It certainly looks to me that the cyclone cone is quite a bit longer than previous versions. Not as long or as efficient as a Clear Vue and others, but certainly a step forward. 1 micron filters are pretty standard on the more affordable machines. I reserve judgement until some actual, hands on stats become available.
    Mike

Robert, I built my own from a Penn State blower, an Omega Super Dust Deputy, and the Wynn filter. The rest was cobbled together in my shop. The chief weakness is a 1 HP blower, and I'm always on the lookout for a bigger one. With that, I needed all the other pieces to allow maximum airflow which led to the big Wynn filter. It's actually smaller in diameter at 12.75" OD than the Laguna filter, but is 34" long. The pickup hose is 6" and I modified all the pickups on my machines to either 6" or several points that added up to about the same area and connected by a manifold.

I use it just like you propose to use the Laguna, on one machine at a time moving the pickup hose when necessary. Since everything is on wheels in my small garage shop, it works pretty well. I'm curious to see how the new Lagunas work in practice. since at least by the photos it looks like a good design.

SDD-PS blower-Wynn filter.jpg

SDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-4.jpg

SDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-3.jpg

SDD-PS blower-Wynn Filter-5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    It certainly looks to me that the cyclone cone is quite a bit longer than previous versions. Not as long or as efficient as a Clear Vue and others, but certainly a step forward. 1 micron filters are pretty standard on the more affordable machines. I reserve judgement until some actual, hands on stats become available.
    My thoughts are the same as yours Mike. I agree most likely not as efficient as a Clear Vue or Oneida, but price, size and specs were in my ball park so I pulled the trigger.

You will have the hands on experience rundown shortly. I was called by the trucking company this morning asking if a Thursday PM delivery was okay. I said okay and made arrangements to leave work early Thursday. Then a regional boss emailed about a meeting Thursday afternoon. Dang I hate it when work interferes with my hobbies. A call to the trucking company and the delivery is now scheduled for Friday afternoon. Now I have to leave work early on a Friday afternoon.

I ran the 30 amp 220 circuit this past weekend so all that will be left is to get whatever I need to make the connection from the 30 amp wall outlet to the machine. Of course assemble the machine also.

This machine BTW has a 109 sq ft filter, draws 22 amps and has a 15 1/2" impeller. Should out perform the new Jet cyclone easily, judging by specs alone. One big thing about me doing a test of the Laguna is I have never owned a real dust collector before so anything it does will seem great to me.

James, that is a real nice looking setup you have put together, I like it.