Thread: Belt for G0490x

Belt for G0490x

Hi Folks,
    The belt on my G0490x has a memory on it causing a vibration. I am thinking of getting a new belt like a Gates. However I am also thinking of getting new pulleys and then putting on a linked belt. It seems like the latter is the best option.
    Has anyone done this? Did you run into problems doing it?
    Izzy

I would not think the link belt would be an improvement over the serpentine belt.

Lots of serpentine belts on automobiles...have not seen a link belt on a car engine yet.

My G1023RLWX has a serpentine belt and 5HP. Runs flawless.

I did change the serpentine belt on my G0490x for the same reason you give, and it is smooth. I would never consider a link belt for the 490x.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Here is a simple modification that I made to make tensioning of the serpentine belt on the jointer easier. I know you did not ask, but...

(cut and past from a previous thread)

Well it has taken me longer than I expected, but if all goes well several pictures will be attached to this post.

I made simple brackets which on the pulley side of the motor provide down pressure for belt tightening, and on the fan side of the motor hold it in an adjustable position. When making adjustments to the motor position (angular and horizontal position, all four motor mounting rail bolts need to be loose. The belt holds the pulley end of the motor, but the fan end wants to fall unless supported by something. I used a bottle jack to do this but found it cumbersome. I was not able to easily adjust the belt tension so I came up with this idea. Works really well!

Here goes my attempt to attach pictures. I hope the pictures will be clear enough. I did add some notes to them...

Oh, almost forgot. How do you guys align your pulleys? I made a simple tool that worked well for me. I checked the flatness of the edge that contacts the pulleys, using the jointer table, then cut a slot in the melamine covered particle board so it could slip over the edge of the motor base...

Bill

Bill, thanks for the reply your point is well made. Perhaps a good quality belt will solve the problem. Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    I would not think the link belt would be an improvement over the serpentine belt.

Lots of serpentine belts on automobiles...have not seen a link belt on a car engine yet.

My G1023RLWX has a serpentine belt and 5HP. Runs flawless.

I did change the serpentine belt on my G0490x for the same reason you give, and it is smooth. I would never consider a link belt for the 490x.

Bill

Nice mods to make it easier to tight end the belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Here is a simple modification that I made to make tensioning of the serpentine belt on the jointer easier. I know you did not ask, but...

(cut and past from a previous thread)

Well it has taken me longer than I expected, but if all goes well several pictures will be attached to this post.

I made simple brackets which on the pulley side of the motor provide down pressure for belt tightening, and on the fan side of the motor hold it in an adjustable position. When making adjustments to the motor position (angular and horizontal position, all four motor mounting rail bolts need to be loose. The belt holds the pulley end of the motor, but the fan end wants to fall unless supported by something. I used a bottle jack to do this but found it cumbersome. I was not able to easily adjust the belt tension so I came up with this idea. Works really well!

Here goes my attempt to attach pictures. I hope the pictures will be clear enough. I did add some notes to them...

Oh, almost forgot. How do you guys align your pulleys? I made a simple tool that worked well for me. I checked the flatness of the edge that contacts the pulleys, using the jointer table, then cut a slot in the melamine covered particle board so it could slip over the edge of the motor base...

Bill

Blog Entries
    I also vote for a good quality belt. For those of you with the previous generation G0490X like mine . . . I replaced the standard belt with a link belt during initial setup in mid 2008. I have never had to adjust the Fenner Power Twist belt and the machine gets run several times a week; sometimes just a bit and sometimes quite a lot.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

this thread came at the perfect time just assembling my 490 after two moves and waiting for my shop to be finished! What belt did you guys upgrade to?

thanks Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bruce buren View Post
    this thread came at the perfect time just assembling my 490 after two moves and waiting for my shop to be finished! What belt did you guys upgrade to?

thanks Bruce
    It has been a few years now, but I think I just went to the auto parts store and got an equivalent one, which was whatever they had in stock.

I tried to get a new belt at Applied Industrial and they could not get it. I called an online place but he could not get it but he did pass on some info. The belt on my machine is a Deyun Belt 8pk1172. The guy said the K indicates a metric belt with 8 ribs and 1172 mm long. He gave me an equivalent English number 460K8 which 46 inches long with 8 ribs. I searched for that and had more success. In several places I found belts by D&D. I have provided the link for the Amazon site. You can find it at other sites for a dollar or 2 less.
    I also found the Gates equivalent (8pk1173) on Ebay but all ads are from Europe.

Ok for some reason I cannot put in the URL. Just go to Amazon and search or: D&D 460K8 and you will get it.
    If anyone finds a belt from companies like Gates, SKF, Continental, or Goodyear please let us know.

thanks Izzy! going to order one now on amazon

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Camire View Post
    I tried to get a new belt at Applied Industrial and they could not get it. I called an online place but he could not get it but he did pass on some info. The belt on my machine is a Deyun Belt 8pk1172. The guy said the K indicates a metric belt with 8 ribs and 1172 mm long. He gave me an equivalent English number 460K8 which 46 inches long with 8 ribs. I searched for that and had more success. In several places I found belts by D&D. I have provided the link for the Amazon site. You can find it at other sites for a dollar or 2 less.
    I also found the Gates equivalent (8pk1173) on Ebay but all ads are from Europe.

Ok for some reason I cannot put in the URL. Just go to Amazon and search or: D&D 460K8 and you will get it.
    If anyone finds a belt from companies like Gates, SKF, Continental, or Goodyear please let us know.