Thread: Incra T-Track Plus and slide in scales

Incra T-Track Plus and slide in scales

I'm building a miter saw stand with foldable wings and would like to add a stop system to the wings, but not a fence. Therefore I plan to embed t-track flush with the surface of the wings. I'd also like to add scales (both right and left) alongside the t-track. It seems that Incra T-Track Plus will do what I want to do but I'm not enthusiastic about their system of scales using overlapping short pieces of scale. Can someone point me to a longer (at least 36", maybe 48") single scale that would work in the scale slot on that track?

I suppose there might be some difficulty threading a longer scale over 36" without it buckling due to too much friction. Might need to be a steel scale, rather than the Lexan ones Incra sells. Has anyone tried this?

Alternatively, does anyone know of a similar track that will perform that same function (track with adjacent scale) that can be had with one-piece scales?

I suppose I could use a standard t-track and route a shallow groove next to it for an adhesive-backed scale but I'm thinking the slide-in scale would be easier to calibrate.

Have you considered Woodpecker's new system? It looks intriguing, but a little pricey, as is much of their tools.

https://www.woodpeck.com/stealthstop.html

This seems to be an all in one system. If I was going to do what you are planning, this might get my vote.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

A fellow who has a YT channel named Insider Carpentry uses a flat steel strip and magnetic tapes. He explained for certain tasks being able to move or recalibrate the tape was an advantage.

I think you could place it parallel to the T track if using a stop.

I can’t even imagine spending that kind of for the Woodpecker system!!

I had 6' of aluminum 90/30 fence either side of my miter saw. with flip stops after a couple years I saw a video online showing you dont need the fence. So I gave it a shot and took mine off and added a track in the table itself with measuring tape and I can use a block of wood with star knobs as a stop. It has greatly reduced saw binding on rough lumber. Also it makes the surface more usable. Im not saying it is the best solution but it works better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Eure View Post
    Have you considered Woodpecker's new system? It looks intriguing, but a little pricey, as is much of their tools.

https://www.woodpeck.com/stealthstop.html

This seems to be an all in one system. If I was going to do what you are planning, this might get my vote.
    Thanks for responding, Steve. I did look at that system but the scale is mounted on the fence. I didn't want a fence at all, plus it's expensive and not available until late March. For others it might be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    A fellow who has a YT channel named Insider Carpentry uses a flat steel strip and magnetic tapes. He explained for certain tasks being able to move or recalibrate the tape was an advantage.

I think you could place it parallel to the T track if using a stop.

I can’t even imagine spending that kind of for the Woodpecker system!!
    Thanks for that tip - I had seen that video before but forgot about it. I like his idea of using a magnetic strip plus the steel tape in a dado. I might just do exactly that.

Magnetic Tape 1/2in Wide x 50 FT long x 1/32 Thick

https://www.hudson4supplies.com/magn...-32-thick.html
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Fast Cap makes a decent miter saw station with their 64” long left and right extension wings and their precision adjustment blocks to dial in the exact setup of their extensions to fit your miter saw. They offer these extensions for both the Dewalt, or Bosch or their miter saw stands or you can order their bench mount setup. Now they have extension wings with out the fence lip just like you are trying to do. Their stop blocks are good to go along with the extension wings. I have their bench mount setup with 4 of their bench mount precision adjustment blocks, stop block and two 64” extension wings one on each side. I also have their portable setup for the Dewalt stand with 4 precision adjustment blocks, stop block and two 64” extension wings, one on each side. You can even connect multiple 64” wings together.