Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need Recomendations for Random Orbital Sander

To solve the dust collection problem thoroughly, hook a vacuum to the sander. Me, I never run a sander without the vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.
    Exactly what I do with those two. It’s rare I use the Rotex.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

3. I've had it for a year and a half. My sander uses an external power source which I think they've switched away from as they only offer the Ray model now. I have a small operation, so the sander isn't running 8hr shifts although it's designed to. The more important aspect is how a sander feels and how effective the abrasive is for a given task. You really have to try them in your specific applications to gauge that for yourself.

Keep in mind, any online feedback is subject to so many variables it has limited value, mine included.

Blog Entries
    I've used an ETS/125 for 6+ years. It works so well with the CT26 vacuum that I became a Festool convert. I have no idea how it works relative to the Mirka, but I know that I"m very happy with it.

One thing you should consider is what your sander collection will ultimately look like. I found that there were additional sanders that made my work more productive, such as the Rotex. But because sandpaper is a pretty significant investment, I then was more or less locked into the 125mm format. So, think about whether you want to commit to 125 or 150mm. It's a significant decision.

Why both ETS and Rotex? For one thing, the Rotex is fantastic for polishing lacquer. I use the ETS to go to 800 grit, then convert to the Rotex to polish with 1200 and 1500 grit polish.

I now have a other Festool sanders as well: the RS-2, the RTS, and a Rotex 90 (for small polishing areas). There's some advantages to the system and it's integration with the vacuum.

Mike

The only sanders from Festool that require "two hands" are the Rotex varieties, IMHO. I have the 150/3 (which is larger than the 125mm/5" unit you're considering) and I specifically use it 95% of the time because I can use it one handed. I only pull out the Rotex when I need the specific capabilities of a true rotary action for heavy stock removal/shaping.
    Yes. Sometimes you just wanna say, Bring out the gimp! :^)

Quote Originally Posted by William Lyman View Post
    I am seeking to replace my ROS sander used for final wood finishing and leveling film coats and would appreciate hearing some of your experiences. I am looking at the Festool ETS EC125/3 EQ 5" ; the Mirka Direct Electric 5”; and the SurfPrep 5″ Electric Ray Sander but am open to other suggestions. We do not have a Woodcraft or a Berlands House of Tools near where I live, so I am relegated to shopping online. Your recomendation will be appreciated.

If your recommendation is Festool, will it work with Abranet mesh pads and with solid finishing discs?

Thank you.
    Bill

For final finishing of wood/finish I use a Festool RTS 400 REQ. I just bought my 2nd, first one lasted 15 years. I build a lot of cabinets and the rectangular footprint is ideal for inside corners/edges.

Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hockenberg View Post
    William - I use the Festool 125 and love it. This was an upgrade from a conventional Porter Cable 5" RO sander. The Festool was life changing. I almost don't mind sanding now. I use all Festool Granat paper and it seems to work well.

I am intrigued by the SurfacePrep. It looks great and I'd love to hear from anyone using it....
    Mark- can you explain how the Festool is better? Ergonomics, produces better sanding pattern, etc.?
    Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know!😬 Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Mark- can you explain how the Festool is better? Ergonomics, produces better sanding pattern, etc.?
    Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know! Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?
    My short list of qualities I like about the Festool:

* Almost vibration free...my hands don't get numb anymore and I can sand for hours instead of just minutes
    * Significantly great dust extraction because of the tool design including the center hole which virtually eliminates "that spot" where "stuff" collects on many sanders
    * Long, long life...mine has been going strong since the mid 2000s with the only maintenance been changing the interface pad a few times which is normal for hook and loop sanders. It still looks like and works like new
    * Excellent warranty and service
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

* Almost vibration free...my hands don't get numb anymore and I can sand for hours instead of just minutes
    * Significantly great dust extraction because of the tool design including the center hole which virtually eliminates "that spot" where "stuff" collects on many sanders
    * Long, long life...mine has been going strong since the mid 2000s with the only maintenance been changing the interface pad a few times which is normal for hook and loop sanders. It still looks like and works like new
    Jim nailed it exactly. There might be sanders as good, but I seriously doubt there are any better. A pleasure to use.

Thanks Jim- I know what you mean about the vibration.

I've never understood the preference for a round format sander for anything other than open flat surfaces. How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    I've never understood the preference for a round format sander for anything other than open flat surfaces. How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.
    It's helpful to have a DTS400 as well (triangle pattern.) The RO90 also has this option. Cord and vacuum hose don't have to be changed, just swap in the other machine and hook it up. It's a very nice system.

FWIW, most of my sanding is pre-assembly.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 05-30-2019 at 4:58 AM.

How do you folks handle casework inside corners and perpendicular inside edges. Like fitting a round peg in a square hole.

Sand prior to assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Daily View Post
    Those of us using a Dewalt 5” RO sander want to know! Can you really tell the difference in wood sanded with the Festool vs. something else?
    Hey Mark,

Jim addressed this very well. For me, it's his first and second points:
    1) Vibration free, and
    2) Dust extraction

My old PC did the job, but made me numb too. Maybe the newer sub-$100 RO sanders are much better. And having real dust extraction is amazing. I used to get engulfed in dust in my shop even with air filtration, fans, etc. With the Festool, I don't need to wear a mask.

The other plus for me is that I get better surface prep using the Festool and their abrasives than I got with the old sander. I really don't know if it's a function of the different abrasives, or the RO pattern, or maybe having less dust constantly grinding around, but it seems to work.

The sander was one of the last Festool products I bought. I found it easier to understand the functional benefits of the track saw/plunge router, whatever. I said, it's just a sander, how is it worth four times the cost of a "normal", good, RO sander like your Dewalt. My local dealer talked me into trying it and that did it for me.

With the Festool return policy, it's easy to demo it for 30 days risk free.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Because, as far as I know, nobody makes a square ROS, and its sanding properties are so much better than an orbital sander. Inside corners can be pre-sanded or easily done by hand with a sanding block.

For those unable or unwilling to jump into the Festool price range, I can highly recommend the Bosch ROS65VC. Powerful, good on board dust collection (as long as the filter is kept clean), and oh so smooth. There really is virtually no vibration.