Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaper questions

Rod (others), what tooling and method are you using for tenons?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post

I was all set up with tenon discs for tenons up to 5.5" or so but when I discovered the combi head which is designed for coping one side at a time, I switched to that. If I was high production though, I would use tenon discs...once all set up, they are fast and consistent. The combi head coupled with a stub spindle allows for lower power, lighter machines to mill full-length, solid tenons like the big boys, just slower.

Top of page 93: http://whitehill.tools/catalogue/#page=93

B
    https://shorturl.at/mRTU3

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Thank you for the explanation.

I'm still searching for a used Shaper on eBay and Craigslist, but it's looking more like I'll probably spring for a new one.

I got a quote from Felder for a Hammer F3, but I'm not sure I can justify twice the price of a Jet 5HP/1P unit.

So this thread is very helpful in further educating me the cutters and heads.available and I thank all.
    Hi Chris, as Rod says, the Hammer will give you more in the way of very valuable features, but it is also a much more refined and stout machine. I expect on paper the 5HP jet may have more power, but I have no doubts that the Hammer is a more capable machine.....don't let HP ratings fool you.

B

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, I do not know what you can justify of course, the 2 things I would say however is that having a sliding table, and a tilting spindle provide an enormous increase in what you can do with the shaper.

Regards, Rod.
    Thank You, this will be my first Shaper. I would like to get the best I can afford and only do it once. I'm hoping to sell one of my Ducati's and flip that cash into the Shaper.

I'm leaning towards staying single phase, so that gets me a 4Hp-5HP machine. I'm constantly scouring eBay and Craigslist and watching for auction in my local area. My problem, I'm new to this and don't know what are good use make and models so I'm a little wary of dropping $2K-$5K on something used.

I will buy a power feeder, most likely new. I figure around $1300'ish for that.

The Hammer is probably at the top of what I want to spend new. I like the sliding table and tilting spindle option and the only other unit I see is the Grizzly ($4K) that offers these features, but I can't find any reviews on it, these's one on craigslist right now.

This is going to be for hobbyist use. The wife does want new kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts, so that gives me an excuse. She doesn't know that I could probably do those on my router table, but she'll be happy I'm getting rid of a motorcycle and getting an upgraded kitchen to boot.

Ducati, or Shaper?
    I'm having trouble with this one. Nice bike!!!
    Well, you do have more than one Ducati, so maybe I can see it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    Hi Carl, this is the adjustable groover I use for slots and tenon cutting.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ers-RB-HW.html

I cut both cheeks of the tenon in one pass using a spacer..............Regards, Rod.

Thank You, this will be my first Shaper. I would like to get the best I can afford and only do it once. I'm hoping to sell one of my Ducati's and flip that cash into the Shaper.

I'm leaning towards staying single phase, so that gets me a 4Hp-5HP machine. I'm constantly scouring eBay and Craigslist and watching for auction in my local area. My problem, I'm new to this and don't know what are good use make and models so I'm a little wary of dropping $2K-$5K on something used.

The Hammer is probably at the top of what I want to spend new. I like the sliding table and tilting spindle option and the only other unit I see is the Grizzly ($4K) that offers these features, but I can't find any reviews on it, these's one on craigslist right now.

This is going to be for hobbyist use. The wife does want new kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts, so that gives me an excuse. She doesn't know that I could probably do those on my router table, but she'll be happy I'm getting rid of a motorcycle and getting an upgraded kitchen to boot.
    At least you get to keep one Duc.

I always loved Ducati's and Motto Guzzi's, however I've stuck with BMW, Norton and a James as my EU bikes..........Rod.

200 or 250 mm version?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Carl, this is the adjustable groover I use for slots and tenon cutting.

http://us.feldershop.com/en-US/en-US...ers-RB-HW.html

I cut both cheeks of the tenon in one pass using a spacer..............Regards, Rod.

i emailed Whitehill a few questions about their combi head. I kind of like that approach for my first piece since it can serve two functions. I can always buy one or the other function separately later if I decide separates are more useful as long as the whitehill doesn’t compromise any quality that the others would give.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-28-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    200 or 250 mm version?
    200, sorry for not mentioning that..............Rod

Blog Entries

I have the grizzly tilting sliding shaper. It cuts ok, but is awful to set up and use.

200 or 250 mm version?

i emailed Whitehill a few questions about their combi head. I kind of like that approach for my first piece since it can serve two functions. I can always buy one or the other function separately later if I decide separates are more useful as long as the whitehill doesn’t compromise any quality that the others would give.

Hi Greg, the large combi head is a fully featured rebate block with no compromises as well as a fully featured limiter head with no compromises. I've heard is said that removing the HSS knives when you need to use it as a rebate block is a problem, but you really should remove the HSS knives when you're finished using them anyway and brush them and the block off, so it's no actual difference in the real world. The carbide knives don't need to be removed to run the block with HSS knives installed....the block is designed so they and the spurs do not interfere.

B

Thanks. I don’t mind changing blades between functions. I move so slow as a hobbies that it is not a big deal. Besides, I can always pick up a second one and make each dedicated one way or the other. I will need to call or email them to find out about the flush fit version. Too late now I guess given the time difference.

Quote Originally Posted by brent stanley View Post
    Hi Greg, the large combi head is a fully featured rebate block with no compromises as well as a fully featured limiter head with no compromises. I've heard is said that removing the HSS knives when you need to use it as a rebate block is a problem, but you really should remove the HSS knives when you're finished using them anyway and brush them and the block off, so it's no actual difference in the real world. The carbide knives don't need to be removed to run the block with HSS knives installed....the block is designed so they and the spurs do not interfere.

B

Also, any issue with using a 110v power feeder in a hobby wood shop for the shaper I have? Would be easier for my to make that work with my power setup than the 220v models. Looks like there are some options at 110v but not sure what I really need to look for feature wise for these.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 01-28-2019 at 5:20 PM.

Thanks. I don’t mind changing blades between functions. I move so slow as a hobbies that it is not a big deal. Besides, I can always pick up a second one and make each dedicated one way or the other. I will need to call or email them to find out about the flush fit version. Too late now I guess given the time difference.

Also, any issue with using a 110v power feeder in a hobby wood shop for the shaper I have? Would be easier for my to make that work with my power setup than the 220v models. Looks like there are some options at 110v but not sure what I really need to look for feature wise for these.
    Greg, the feeder voltage has no effect on the performance of it, choose the voltage that works best for you.....Rod

Additional question for you guys. I have a quote from whitehill on the combi block. It says it is a 55mm block. The Felder rebate is 50mm and the Felder euroblock is 40mm. What knives fit what? The whitehill knives indicate fitting the 55mm block but will 40mm knives fit it? How universal is this stuff? Getting a set of knives from England every time will be costly and require extra steps and time.

Still trying to to wrap my head around this stuff. Thanks.

Additional question for you guys. I have a quote from whitehill on the combi block. It says it is a 55mm block. The Felder rebate is 50mm and the Felder euroblock is 40mm. What knives fit what? The whitehill knives indicate fitting the 55mm block but will 40mm knives fit it? How universal is this stuff? Getting a set of knives from England every time will be costly and require extra steps and time.

Still trying to to wrap my head around this stuff. Thanks.
    Hi Greg, the block is 50mm, but the knives are 55mm which leaves a tiny bit above and below by design. Nomenclature and terminology takes a while to get your head around!

The carbide spurs and knives are industry standard, available anywhere. The little 40mm knives readily available over here won't work with the big combi head because the big combi head is designed for larger knives and holds on to more of the knife within the body of the block. I haven't looked into it, but I think the 50mm knives would be the same story, however I notice on the CMT web site that they don't suggest rumming the 50mm knives in their 40mm head anyway. However the small combi head is perfect for those 40mm knives as well as whitehill's 55mm knives and though I would have to verify, I expect it would run the 50mm knives too. Sorry, it's all very confusing!

I've never had a problem with a Felder product or the staff, but everything I've ever bought from them took at least a couple of weeks to get as it came from overseas including just knives. They don't make the blocks and knives they sell.

Whenever I purchase an "off-the-shelf" item from Whitehill it's in my mailbox in 4-5 days, and if they aren't swamped, custom profiles will only take a couple more as their automated grinders run 24/7.