Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida Mini Gorilla one year later

Oneida Mini Gorilla one year later

Have been using the Oneida mini-gorilla for almost a year. I use mostly hand tools, but added Rikon band saw and Dewalt planer almost 2 years ago. Ran the Dewalt 735 into Rockler bag for a while, and noticed I was coughing a lot. Got the Mini Gorilla last year. A bit of a pain to put together, some wrong size bolts and cheesy plastic parts, but got it together and it ran good for a few months. Faulty switch stopped the machine, and Oneida sent me a replacement which I installed. Ran good again, but the gaskets are breaking down. Called Oneida, they told me to go to Home Depot to buy some Poron weather stripping which is what they use. Told them I was still under warranty ( 11 months ) so they mailed me the stripping for free. A circular gasket would be much better, this Poron is a linear strip and running it in a circle is a pain. They said thats what they use. I am somewhat happy with the mini gorilla, but am ambivalent. It is portable and easy to move in the shop. The filtration seems good. Oneida offers good customer support. The 22 gallon dust bin is small and has to be dumped frequently, but once again the whole unit is portable. Any users out there with opinions?

I have the previous version and don't really like it. I really didnt like it when it was mobile. Just seemed to always be in the way so I mounted it on the wall. I have it wye right off the DC. One is ducted to the table saw and the other has a Rockler 28' expandable hose attached which I use on all of the other tools. It doesn't do a great job with any tool but it's better than nothing till I make the switch to a CV1800. And yeah, the drum fills up really fast and I've clogged it numerous times now.

Thanks for the follow-through on the reviews.

Looks like Oneida is doubling-down on the small form-factor collectors, although you can get a 55-gallon drum:

Almost two years to the day since my mini gorilla arrived in the shop. I've been generally happy with it with a few things I do not like.

Pros: It is indeed portable within the shop, I can roll it it to different tools. I have fitted most things with a quick fit 4-inch connection, which requires a step down from the 5 inch outlet on the gorilla. My planer has a 5 inch outlet, so I can pipe directly onto that with no adapters or smaller hoses. The casters move freely, and can lock. It is not prone to tip-over. The air flow is good, the filter is good. Again, I hook it up to one machine at a time. Could it be piped into the whole room? I don't know. It is most definitely loud, but I can talk with someone in the room without trouble. For the performance level, I'd buy it again. What I want to do is go much bigger and pipe the whole room, but this does what I bought it to do.

Cons: The 22 gallon dust bin is too small. I feel like I'm always emptying it. It fills fast. The window to check the level isn't great. I have overfilled and ended up lunching the filter, absolutely filled it. But it did clean out nicely. The bags are annoying to source from Oneida, and they're $1 each. I buy the closest I can get to their size off amazon, which is much cheaper. I've never run it without a bag, so I can't comment on if its better without. Cleaning the filter isn't awful, just annoying. I do not follow their procedure (hook shop vac to bottom, use air compressor to blow dust out) - I unbolt the filter, take it outside, and go at it with the leaf blower. Much faster, yes much dirtier, but I wear a respirator and its livable.

Quality: very good. I've never replaced a part, nor had trouble that wasn't entirely my fault (see above - failed to empty bin....). The fit and finish are of high quality, the motor is strong, made in USA.

Would I buy again? For a portable unit, yes. But right now I want something bigger, I think I'm outgrowing it. This has been a great unit for its intended niche of the market. I am very curious on this new unit that Oneida has with no filter, higher velocity, etc. I just don't understand how it can work in the form factor they have, but hey what do I know? I'm going bigger next time.

William, I agree with your opinion of the window to check chip level. The plastic scratches easily, and recently I thought I was being industrious and wiped it down with some solvent and it clouded it further. Stupid me. I too use a leaf blower to clean the filter. And I keep using the same two Oneida bags that came with it. What is the bag you order from Amazon? As far as dust collectors something bigger seems nice, but I am afraid of the slippery slope of bigger and more equipment. I am holding back for now.

Bummer on the window clouding. It's soft plastic, I'm sure acetone is sufficient to ruin it.

I just order 3 mil thick 33 gallon bags on amazon, 100 packs for something like $23. Not a perfect fit but they're 1/4 the price!

And I hear you - the moment I strap a 3hp or bigger DC in there, I'll start eyeing the planer or jointer and declare they could be larger. It won't stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    William, I agree with your opinion of the window to check chip level. The plastic scratches easily, and recently I thought I was being industrious and wiped it down with some solvent and it clouded it further. Stupid me. I too use a leaf blower to clean the filter. And I keep using the same two Oneida bags that came with it. What is the bag you order from Amazon? As far as dust collectors something bigger seems nice, but I am afraid of the slippery slope of bigger and more equipment. I am holding back for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Thanks for the follow-through on the reviews.

Looks like Oneida is doubling-down on the small form-factor collectors, although you can get a 55-gallon drum:

Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee this morning. But why would you install a blast gate at the intake???

T

If I've read the literature correctly, closing that gate is part of the mechanism for cleaning the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Latham View Post
    Perhaps I haven't had enough coffee this morning. But why would you install a blast gate at the intake???

T

A question about my Oneida Mini-Gorilla...I have it in between my Dewalt 735 planer and my Rikon Bandsaw. When I use the bandsaw I just pull my 4 inch connector from the planer and attach to the bandsaw and vice-versa. Can I keep it attached to both using some type of Y connector/splitter? Would I need a blast gate? Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks

I’d just keep doing the switcheroo. I don’t think this unit has the flow for two hoses, and gates are likely a waste of cash. Save it for a bigger unit in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    A question about my Oneida Mini-Gorilla...I have it in between my Dewalt 735 planer and my Rikon Bandsaw. When I use the bandsaw I just pull my 4 inch connector from the planer and attach to the bandsaw and vice-versa. Can I keep it attached to both using some type of Y connector/splitter? Would I need a blast gate? Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Latham View Post

T
    I must be coffee deprived too. I totally don't get that.

I bought the Oneida 5HP version. No issues but quite loud. Pulls tons of air. Still a pain to empty the drum, even with 55gal garbage bags. Definitely respirator wearing time.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

mini 1.jpgmini 2.jpg2 year follow-up on Mini-gorilla. Still running strong. Installed y connector so I have one hose to Dewalt 735 and another to Rikon 10-326. Ordered blast gates from Oneida and hose, but could not join y connector to plastic inlet to mini-gorilla. After some cockamamie advice from Oneida on how to pie cut a pipe ( failed ) or get a rubber hose from the plumbing world ( Fernco adapter ) to stretch over ( pathetic ), they came up big and manufactured a pipe for me that joined the y to the mini gorilla. It really helps not to disconnect the hose from the planer and attach to bandsaw and repeat. I still am glad I purchased it. The poron weather stripping seems to be breaking down again - it likes with regular use it will probably have to be replaced once a year. The bin is small and a pain to put back on, but acceptable. It moves a lot of air and has a HEPA filter, which is still easy to clean.
    Last edited by Mark Rainey; 12-03-2020 at 7:45 PM.

I have had my Mini-Gorilla (220v version) since May 2019.

It is working well for me. I have a 15' long 5" flex hose and use Magports to connect the hose to my Hammer J/P, SawStop PCS, router table, and drill press.

I built a dust sensor that I installed in the window based on plans I found here. I use the iVac remote to turn it on/off.

This setup works well for me. I have been thinking of having a separate flex hose to go the my drill press, but am not sure it is worth the trouble.

Bob

I've had my Mini Gorilla for about a year now. No problems whatsoever. It came with all the proper parts and fasteners, and assembled rather easily.

For my garage shop (that still has to be a garage at the end of the day), it is an excellent solution, and you can't beat the filtration or the footprint.

It keeps up with my 16" J/P just fine, but that can fill the bin pretty quickly.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

We have an older 5HP cyclone (all steel) as well as one thats the newer 5HP with the plastic and there is no comparison. The 5HP w/plastic is fine til you hit the plastic. All steel cone, and top side, but the elbow to the filter is plastic (and suppose to be supported with a cable/turnbuckle above). The filter is held with these PITA J bolts and plastic wheel nuts. The gaskets on the filter are roached (same strip style but thats what came with the all steel version). Our all steel has these nice spring catch type deals that clip the filter to the cyclone and the catch cup to the bottom in seconds. Getting the filter off with the plastic j-bolts sucks.

Beyond that zero complaints. They both move plenty of air. Greasable motors, top quality. I was bummed when we got the plastic version and dont like it to this day. Weve re-sealed the cone with elastomeric because the foam tape fails.

Its the way of the world. All you have to do is watch sharktank. Over delivering on quality as opposed to hard focus on margins is a thing of the past. Eventually everyone caves. Sadly the consumer has been reprogrammed that this is the norm so when the last of you are weeded out (which they are waiting for) it will just be an overall consumer based acceptance of getting less than what you thought and the need to tinker, repair, replace, etc..